8 MONTHS AND ONLY 29LBS LOST...SERIOUSLY??

Options
I know slow and steady is the key and I am fine with that, however, that is not a huge loss. I could have lost 50lbs and that still would of been considered a slow weight loss. I switch up my workouts, and I have not given up and I haven't gained any weight either. I have 69lbs to go, its just sometimes frustrating. You work hard and see little results, I do have PCOS so that might be the cause, I don't have any thyroid problems. GEEZ, I said I would give myself a year and that will be in February 2012.

Replies

• Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since August 2010 and have lost 5 pounds which I think is great, I could have been 20 pounds heavier.. it didn't come on over night its not gonna come off over night.

29 pounds in 8 months is fantastic, imagine if you hadn't started watching what you ate , you could have gained 29lbs or more in 8 months. Be happy with the success you have had to date.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Would you rather have gained 29 pounds? You're losing an average of 5 pounds a month, it sounds reasonable to me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 27lbs and I'm good with it.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    At least you'll know that you'll keep the weight off! That's how I'm looking at it anyway.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I'm ten months in, I've lost about 15 pounds. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. After 8 months, and those same 15#, it got bad enough (frustration-wise) that I spent two months just not giving a flying rat's *kitten*. Trying to get back into it is... difficult, at best. If my weight stayed the same over those 2 months, and it stayed the same logging every bite and every step... What's the point, right?

I wish I had something constructive to offer, but all I've got is "I'm there, too. Good luck to you!"
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since Oct 09 and still not at goal weight. It's not only a lesson in patience, but discipline and joy in the journey.
  • Glam0809
    Options
    You'll get there! The fact is you made progress! 29 lbs. is a reason to smile. Keep your head up.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think it just has to do with changing habits. I just past my 1 year mark last month, and barely hit 50lbs lost. I was "supposed" to be at my goal weight by now. And I did go through a bit of *****ying and moaning about it, and threw myself a pity party for my big 1 yr. But the way I look at it, if I would have given up 6 months ago, I wouldn't be where I am now. And I know I'll get there eventually, and once I do get there, I'll have new habits to keep me from being 300lbs in the future.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You'll get there! The fact is you made progress! 29 lbs. is a reason to smile. Keep your head up.

Totally. 29 lbs is how much my 3yo daughter weighs. Be proud of yourself... you've lost a whole little person!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You are averaging in the ballpark of a 3/4 pound a week. That is actually pretty good. No, it is not as dramatic as some tv series with people in an artificial environment, or the progress of others here.. But for real world weight loss, that is pretty good.

Keep at it. Every individuals journey is different and any victory is a victory. Congrats on the 29 pounds.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too badly...I've been going at it since mid-June and I've only lost 15 lbs. But I didn't make the best food choices in the beginning (although it was a MAJOR improvement over how I had been eating). You said it yourself...slow and steady...learn along the way. Now I'm content if I lose .5 a week (given what I'm trying to do - lose fat, build muscle and that's a very hard thing to do while eating at a deficit). As far as I know I don't have PCOS (although so sometimes I wonder). And yes, it is very frustrating when you read the success thread of people who lost 100 lbs in 8 months or whatever. I'm happy for them and then I think why can't *I* do that. It is what it is...we all have different bodies...different ways we are going about this...and I know that the slower the better for me as it is most likely to stay off (I've done the fast-track weight loss before and uhm, well, here I am! Doing it again! LOL).
    So don't give up...tell yourself "self, guess what....I'm gonna have to exercise and eat good for the rest of my life if I want to be healthy" and get yourself used to the habit now (with a splurge day here and there). Because, truly, for the REST of your life you are going to have to watch what you eat and move a little more in order to look good. Period, the end.
  • smanibhai
    Options
    29 pounds - that is fantastic! Try to put it in perspective - go find something that weights about 30 pounds. Pick it up. Carry it around for about 10 minutes without putting it down, and then remember you used to do that ALL THE TIME.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I'm ten months in, I've lost about 15 pounds. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. After 8 months, and those same 15#, it got bad enough (frustration-wise) that I spent two months just not giving a flying rat's *kitten*. Trying to get back into it is... difficult, at best. If my weight stayed the same over those 2 months, and it stayed the same logging every bite and every step... What's the point, right?

I wish I had something constructive to offer, but all I've got is "I'm there, too. Good luck to you!"
    A positive attitude is everything and can make all the difference in the world. Everyone loses at different rates and those that stick to it every single day faithfully and workout hard are the most successful now and during maintenance.

Simply the truth of the matter.

Plus I'm not sure I understand your comment of "What's the Point".......wha??? To get a healthy body, mind and stay alive maybe? :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, nice to know I am not the only one. We just gotta keep it moving, change will come.....eventually.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Would you rather have gained 29 pounds? You're losing an average of 5 pounds a month, it sounds reasonable to me.
    it's 3.6 lbs a month, but whos keeping track..LoL..just kidding :wink:
    on another note, they are right..im irritated i havent lost my 55 in my time frame, but it happens..i look better, feel better, notice that i am stronger when i work out, etc..it is a slow and frustrating process with all the setbacks like plateaus and stuff, but sometimes it takes longer for some people than others..you have done a fantastic job, dont give up..that extra weight left will soon too come off..best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Just think of where you would be today if you hadn't started 8 months ago. That reminds me of the saying, "One year from now, you will wish you had started today."

While a slow and steady pace is definitely the best way to go, there are ways to speed things up a bit. My weight loss started off very slow this year and then it gradually picked up the pace as I incorporated healthier foods and eliminated treats and less healthy choices. Now when I really want to pick up the pace or get off a plateau, I scale back my food choices to only low-calorie density whole foods. That's pretty much whole grains like brown rice and oatmeal, fruits and veggies and starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn. It also includes beans. I try to make at least half of the plate veggies and I can pretty much eat until I am satisfied. On these weeks, I can average 3 pounds. After a couple of weeks, I add back in a few more of my favorite (but healthy) foods and the pace slows down a bit. I choose between food variety and pace of weight loss. I still eat the same amount of food.

Inadvertently, you are making these choices every day as well. You have a choice between high calorie dense foods and low calorie dense foods. You also have a choice regarding the total calories you want to consume. Your third choice is your activity level. For most people, these three decisions affect the pace of weight loss. If you want to pick up the pace, decide which option you want to change.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think you need to say...

I have seriously lost 29 pounds!!!!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I know slow and steady is the key and I am fine with that, however, that is not a huge loss. I could have lost 50lbs and that still would of been considered a slow weight loss. I switch up my workouts, and I have not given up and I haven't gained any weight either. I have 69lbs to go, its just sometimes frustrating. You work hard and see little results, I do have PCOS so that might be the cause, I don't have any thyroid problems. GEEZ, I said I would give myself a year and that will be in February 2012.

I hear you....!
    I started in January and have lost 47 pounds.... and I did kind of slack off in August....

Like you said, PCOS might be the cause.... but are you being strict/exact with your food & portion sizes?
    Watching / tracking sodium as well as fat &sugars?
    What have you got your weekly goal set to? Is it too high? Read the link (mfp basics) in my signature, which might help you set your settings correctly.

I recommend the same to you...
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you are monitoring your food journal. Are you taking into consideration how many carbs, protein and fat you are eating? I really try to watch that. The carbs can sneak up on you if that is making up too much of your daily/weekly/monthly habits. Go back and take a loot at it.

Also, are you eating too few calories? I used to be a gym rat and worked out like crazy - never saw any change and was 45 pounds heavier than I am today. I went on a food plan (I chose Medifast, but you can do it without a "branded" plan if you prefer). They taught me that if was eating 1500 calories and was burning 400 a day through exercise - my body was feeling starved. When your body feels starved, your body automatically takes that fat and hangs onto it for dear life - stores it, if you will.

So, be careful when you are eating/exercising that you are hitting your goals for daily caloric intake as well as making sure you have the proper balance of carbs, fat and protein. A little extra fiber doesn't hurt either.

WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER - it flushes your body. If you are a soda drinker try to cut back. It has a lot of salt and other "poisons in it" that will prevent weight loss. I used to drink a ton of soda and had to cut back. I now have about 1-2 cans a week and really don't miss it all that much. Once you understand how horrible it is for your body, you really can't justify drinking it any longer.

Hang in there. I was a slow loser too. I started my plan on Jan 1 and my goal was to lose 45 pounds by the end of April. I hit goal September 1st. So nearly doubled time that I had set for myself. But, it was worth the weight (ha ha..pun intended!)
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh..one more thing. Salt/sodium. Keep it under 2500 a day. That is a big reason a lot of us stall. You will be amazed what cutting sodium can do for you!