Hip to Waist Ratio

Options
Hi everyone. I have a strange hip to waist ratio. I'm already thin, but my hips are a whole 12 inches larger than my waist! It makes it near impossible to buy jeans because most jeans are sized with a 10 inch difference between the waist and hips. So if I get a pair of jeans that are sized for my hips then they are two inches too big for me in the waist because my hip measurement falls a full two sizes higher than my waist measurement on every jean sizing chart I look at.

I know people say that there is no way to "spot reduce", but surely there are ways to tone and minimize certain areas.
Things like pilates, maybe? Are there any exercises that are purely for the hips or obliques that could possible help close this odd gap in size I have and fix my jean problem?? Saying that I just need to lose more weight or do cardio and it will come off in general doesn't help because I don't want to lose more weight.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have a similar problem???

Replies

• Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. I know you requested info on specific exercises but I know a friend that has a shape similar to yours. She's at the weight she wants to be at so she basically has all her pants altered with two 'darts' in the waist to cinch it in. Welcome to the world of tailoring lol.

Good luck!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would love that problem. You must have b*tchin curves!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If cost isn't an issue I'd go with Citizens for Humanity.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend doing Deadlifts, Back Squats, and Front squats. All of those work your midsection, quads, and glutes.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I also have 12 inch difference (my measurements are on my profile). I usually buy pants that ride a little lower so that I don't have that gap, or wear a belt. Even at my skinniest, I've always had hips and I love it!
  • vtempes
    vtempes Posts: 47
    Options
    It's called curves...hard to change that, it is more than likely your bone structure (which no amount of exercise will change). There are some jeans that fit figures as you have described (they are hard to find...I know I have the same problem and it gets worse the more I lose). Try on all different brands and cuts of jeans until you find the right ones for you...if all else fails make friends with your local tailor.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, do I have the same problem! My waist is 31" and my hips are 46.5"!!! :grumble: The only jeans I can get to fit are Wow jeans from Marisota. They are more shapely around the bottom but they are also elasticated at the back of the waist so you don't end up with six feet of fabric sticking out where there ought to be a whole other person, if you know what I mean! They fit me ok but I could still do with them being slightly smaller on the waist.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I suggest you shop for expensive jeans. Go to Nordstroms or a high end mall.
    My wife tries on about 12 pairs before finding one that she likes.
    Try different sizes too since all jeans are cut differently.
  • moffee01
    Options
    Ive always had the same problem. My waist is 14 inches smaller than my hips! I just buy the low rise jeans that sit at my hips or theres always the good ole belt. I dont like using them because then all the extra fabric gets smooshed together under the belt. I guess Im to cheap to get jeans tailored LOL
    As for exercise Im not sure I lose quicker off my waist than hips, but Id like to hear some ideas!

Kelly
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have 40" hips and a 28" waist. Certain brands of pants are better than others, keep looking, and yeah, invest in some belts. My hips are mostly bone, so yeah they aren't going anywhere.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't beat genetics. It'll win out every time. You can try doing squats - they do amazing things to your body. :) Otherwise, I would recommend a day for jean shopping. My waist is a 30" and my hips are around 36" - which may not seem like a big gap until you're trying to find some non-low rise jeans that actually FIT. I've actually taken to wearing my boyfriend's jeans because I've found that men's jeans fit better than women's jeans do.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 inch difference...not fun jean shopping...I wear levis 515 and they seem to fit pretty well. BUT I have gotten more inches off my hips (but in turn it takes it off my waist as well) by doing Jillian Michaels DVD's (Shred, 6 week 6 pack, and Ripped) and added in tons of jogging and that as seemed to help make the game that use to be 18 inch difference to lower. Good luck!
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Really stinks to have to buy jeans large enough to fit over hips, but then have a HUGE gap in stomach. I thought it would go away with weight loss (now only about 5 lbs from goal), but it hasn't. My hip bones are just really wide. SO, giving you fair warning, even at your healthiest weight, you might still have this problem due to bone structure. But curves are womanly and sexy, so embrace them!

I TRULY love my curves, but would love to buy jeans off the rack. (I even tried the new Curve ID (Levi, i think) and the one cut for the biggest curves, in my size, was too tight in butt and too big in waist. sigh).

As said above, I have them tailored. Two darts in back and jeans fit. If you ever find any brands that fit well, please pass along. I hate shopping simply because no pants / jeans ever fit!

Good luck! :)
  • evelynr14
    evelynr14 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I have the same problem! I have currently, a 16 inch difference. It's very hard but I have noticed that belts are a solution and also Levi has this curve ID, you answer a couple questions and then they show you which jeans will fit you! www.us.levi.com
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've gotten used to wearing pants that sit lower to help alleviate the problem. There are also several clothing manufacturers who are making pants and jeans which are one size smaller in the waist than the hips. Eddie Bauer Curvy jeans are my favorite, great quality but certainly not cheap, but I've also seen that Target is selling a similar fit in pants now. I'm pretty sure they are labeled a "Fit 4" and have a pink tag. I'm wearing a pair of the Eddie Bauer's today, in fact!
  • severedpsyche
    Options
    I really don't want to tailor every pair of pants I buy.. I'd rather just avoid jeans like I have been doing haha. I just wear skirts and dresses.
    As for curves, I really don't have what people would consider curves. My waist is 24 inches and my hips are 36. I guess it gives the illusion that I have curves, though, because of the difference in those numbers. I don't know; I just know it is annoying haha.
    I was just hoping there was something I could maybe do to make the ratio more normal.
    I also have very slim thighs so when I try to buy a pair that is sized for my hips and just have them ride on my hips rather than sit where they should, they are then baggy in the thighs.
    I guess I'm just stuck with dresses and skirts.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    lower rise and tayloring is probably your best bet especially if you are not planning to lose more. You might be able to tone and redistribute a little, but probably not enought to completely solve the issue with jeans. Also, Marilyn Monroe had a similar waist to hip ratio, you are in good company. :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

As for curves, I really don't have what people would consider curves. My waist is 24 inches and my hips are 36. I guess it gives the illusion that I have curves, though, because of the difference in those numbers. I

I politely suggest you work on your body image.
    That's not an ILLUSION of curves, you have serious lean curves most woman would kill for.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to tailor every pair of pants I buy.. I'd rather just avoid jeans like I have been doing haha. I just wear skirts and dresses.
    As for curves, I really don't have what people would consider curves. My waist is 24 inches and my hips are 36. I guess it gives the illusion that I have curves, though, because of the difference in those numbers. I don't know; I just know it is annoying haha.
    I was just hoping there was something I could maybe do to make the ratio more normal.
    I also have very slim thighs so when I try to buy a pair that is sized for my hips and just have them ride on my hips rather than sit where they should, they are then baggy in the thighs.
    I guess I'm just stuck with dresses and skirts.

I understand not wanting to taylor everthing. I'm more of the traditional 10-11 inch difference. Some things work others don't. I also stick with lots of skirts for the same reason. However, when pants fit well it can be worth it. Perhaps invest in just a couple pair of really great pants and jeans and have those taylored. If they are good quality and clasic style, they will be worth the investment. I like the Ann Taylor curvy fit for mid range clothes.
  • Jennypins
    Jennypins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to be 37-28-37. Now I'm 40-33-40. lol. Jeans need to be low rise. Forget Dockers - I have no butt. If pants fit me in the hips, they sag terribly in the butt. If shirts fit me in the waist they pull at the chest. No chance can I get away with wearing a button down.

The curves can be a bit of a double-edged sword. They're great, but they're difficult.

Low rise pants, stretchy shirts. Such is life.

Kind-of "the grass is always greener" type of thing.