Hip to Waist Ratio

Options
I posted this in the general forum and then realized I should have posted it here...

I have a strange hip to waist ratio. I'm already thin, but my hips are a whole 12 inches larger than my waist! It makes it near impossible to buy jeans because most jeans are sized with a 10 inch difference between the waist and hips. So if I get a pair of jeans that are sized for my hips then they are two inches too big for me in the waist because my hip measurement falls a full two sizes higher than my waist measurement on every jean sizing chart I look at.

I know people say that there is no way to "spot reduce", but surely there are ways to tone and minimize certain areas.
Things like pilates, maybe? Are there any exercises that are purely for the hips or obliques that could possibly help close this odd gap in size I have and fix my jean problem?? Saying that I just need to lose more weight or do cardio and it will come off in general doesn't help because I don't want to lose more weight.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have a similar problem???

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You say you are already too thin. So it sounds like it may be that your bones are spread wide in your hips. I would work on conditioning your lower back and stomach to get more muscle and increase the size of your waist. Sounds like it is your bones being the problem, I know how it is!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same as you as far as the 12 inch difference goes only fatter. :laugh: What's worse is I seem to be losing from my waist and not my hips. The only solution I've ever found is elasticated waists on jeans and trousers. Unless they've got that, it does not fit me around the middle.

I hope somebody has some advice.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - 9 inch difference so i am more "boy" shaped. I buy jeans that are ultra low rise (Express is good for that), so that I only have to worry about fitting my hips and not my waist. This may or may not work for you since fitting your hips may be too baggy in the legs. Most drycleaners where I live do tailoring at a good price, and making that small of a change would be fairly easy. If you find jeans that fit you well in every area but the waist, just get them taken in there. Hope that helps.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Pants today usually sit on your hips anyway so I don't really see the issue? Unless you are specifically looking for high waisted pants, I think it should be ok as long as you fit your hips.