Running after hip replacement

Options
I had a total hip replacement 3 years ago. I would like to know if anyone out there has done any running since theirs. Or what other exercise the have done.

Replies

• redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think that it would be best to have that conversation with your doctor.

Everyone's situation is slightly different and what could be ok for one may not be for another. So even if others gave information about what they can do, it doesn't mean it right or wrong for you.
  • kjordan62
    kjordan62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a hip replacement 5 1/2 months ago. I was told running was a no no. The constant impact wasn't good. I have been horseback riding and I'm on Day 4 of the 30 Day Shred, though.
  • MongoMN
    MongoMN Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had both hips replaced 6 years ago at age 45, and it was life changing for me. I have always led a very active life (skiing, biking, hunting, hiking, etc.), so I was pretty strong going into the surgery. The only restriction my doctor gave me is "I don't want you to run." What he meant was the constant, repetitive jarring of long distance running. Since I did a lot of distance running in my younger years, and was sick of it, I took it as a welcome excuse. ;-)

I went back to skiing (both downhill and cross country) one year after surgery (took one season off). But otherwise, I've been doing most everything. Weight training, lots of bicycling, walking, elliptical, treadmills, stair climbers, etc. But, man, do I get sick of machines. My strength and mobility dramatically improved, but I still had obvious (to me at least) limitations.

I started CrossFit 18 months ago now, and that has changed everything. I find myself doing things that I never would have imagined--double unders with a jump rope, box jumps, olympic weight lifting, squats, rowing, and.... running. No, not distance running. Nothing over a mile. But regular (several times a week) 400m interval runs. The result of this change has been dramatic in the improvements I've seen in strength, flexibility, mobility, overall stamina and body composition.

Now, I agree with the other poster's comments that "everyone's results and limitations vary--talk to your doctor". It will all depend on your base strength, the kind of implant you had, your age when you had the surgery, etc. But all I can say is that my result is that I have virtually no limitations after my hip replacements. And I do run (short distances) but will never go back to distance running.

Hope this is helpful.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I havent had hip replacement yet, but was told I would need it in the future. MY hip is bone on bone. What is strange is that my knee and leg bother me. The doctor told me to ride the bike or use the elliptical. I do that but since there is pain I do not get my heart rate to over 120. I have heard you need to do this to lose. In over 3 months I have only lost 15. I try to do some exercises on the Wii, which I just bought. (I think that was a waste). I am hoping to build up my heart rate.

Does anyone else have this problem. The doctors have all told me to lose. I appreciate any suggestions.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    bump
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I had a hip replacement 5 1/2 months ago. I was told running was a no no. The constant impact wasn't good. I have been horseback riding and I'm on Day 4 of the 30 Day Shred, though.

My doctor recommended the bike and elliptical. I have not had surgery yet. I wish I could ride but that is not possible.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was born with fibrous dysplasia located at the neck of my left femur in my hip joint. Was not known until I fractured it at the age of 20. This is after years of Baseball, football and basketball without issue. After being on crutches for a year hoping that through the way of bone grafting, the fracture would heal. Unfortunately it didn't and the joint wasn't any longer receiving any blood supply. Needless to say, the only option was to do a hip replacement........I was 21. I've run 7 half marathons and 2 full marathons and in training now to run my 3rd in March. I now run over 100 miles a month.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options

My doctor recommended the bike and elliptical. I have not had surgery yet. I wish I could ride but that is not possible.

I had a THR in 5/10. My Dr. told me no high impact exercises, such as running. I have been doing HIIT program, consisting of an elliptical and strength training program. I have lost 33 lbs.
  • Canbfit4life
    Options
    Check with your physician but I'm almost definite you shouldn't be you have precautions af surgery .
  • AlistairMcAlpine
    Options
    After my Hip Replacement I took the cautious approach and gave up running all together (life-long trail ultra-distance runner). However after power-walking for quite some time I realised that running might still be possible if I adapted my low impact ultrarunning techniques. I am now enjoying running trails again and have documented what I learned in an eBook (www.amzn.com/B00D0VZSH6) in the hope that other runners might benefit. All the best, Alistair.
  • 1wanderlust
    Options
    I've had both hips replaced, the first one in 2008 and the second in 2010. I used run about 4 miles per day prior to the implants. That was my biggest concern prior to choosing the type of replacements, and type of surgery I would have and that I would be allowed or able to run again. My doctors assured me if that was something I wanted to do I could. It took some time building back to it with power walking and adapting my running style somewhat. But at age 51 I am happy to say I do still run. Granted Not like I used to and not everyday, but I do run at least 3 times per week.