Yoga and Pilates (Formula for Cal. Burned)

Options
Calories
It's not that easy to calculate how many calories you burn in yoga and Pilates since the intensity of the class depends on the kind of exercises being done and the strength level of the class participants.

In general, a 130-pound person would burn approximately 260 calories an hour for a light to moderate Pilates mat-class and 236 calories for a yoga class. "Intense" Pilates would burn approximately 346 calories while an intense yoga class would burn about 400 calories per hour.

Your weight affects how many calories you burn (the more you weigh, the more calories you burn), so use the following formula to make it more accurate: Divide the number of calories burned by 130 pounds. Multiply the answer by your weight in pounds.

For example, divide 260 calories by 130 pounds. The answer is 2 calories per pound. Multiply that by 110 pounds. The answer is 220 calories.

Quoted from http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/031604.htm

Replies

• deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    thankyou. I was sure the calorie counts given here were low.

:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I thought so too. Depends on the yoga class though. Do any of you enter it under "an exercise not listed"? Most of the sites I checked agreed with this one though. I thought my classes yesterday were harder than normal, so I just added another 15 minutes (to 120 minutes of yoga). I should wear my heart rate monitor to class sometime.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    mary, what style of yoga are you doing? I do both ashtanaga (sp?) at my gym and some intense, stretch based kundalini dvds. I've been using the "stretching hatha yoga" for kundalini, as most of it is stretching, but I think I'll start using this formula for my astht. days, as I'm noticing a little heart rate elevation when that class is particularly energetic.

The difference in my health since I've started yoga on a regular (at least 3xs a week) basis is amazing! I'm a total convert.

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I do a type of Iyengar/Anusara Yoga. Some times it's as hard as Ashtanga, some times not. I think I should bring my HRM to class (once I get a new battery), just to test it out. For the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, it's fairly low key stretching, but the other 60 is usually standing poses and backbends or inversions. I think I might put it under 60 minutes of strength training/ 30 minutes of yoga. That seems fair without the HRM - that's only another 30 calories or so.

I'm a convert as well. I try to get everyone to come to my class. Sometimes I can get my friends to come if I'm teaching - so they can see me make a fool of myself :happy: So far my only converts are my father and husband! I did get three of my friends to go, but they don't come anymore. I don't do 3x a week though (unless you count my stretch routine after weights, which is all yoga, but only for 5-10 minutes).
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    The three times is only consistent at 30 minutes a time, but I find that I get so tight after my spinning days, that I need the gentle motion and the gently aggressive stretching. I have "isms" and "algias" that tend to make my muscles sort of freeze up after heavy exercise. If I have the time, I try to go to a longer class.

I have one DVD that is all hip/heart openers that is my current best friend.

I have only created one convert, a gym acquaintance who said something like "yoga is easy" once. He'd never tried it, so I dared him to come to class. He was quickly convinced otherwise. I now see him with his mat more often than I have mine.