Replace lunch with a Soy Protein Shake, thoughts?

Options
I'm thinking of replacing my lunches with a soy protein shake and would love people's thoughts as to if it will help me achieve my goals :)
I am losing my last 10 lbs or so and have never been great at getting all of my protein in. I also find I have kinda craved soy sometimes in the past (probably bc I don't like meat a lot and need more protein, idk). Don't get me wrong I'm not way under usually arnd 45-60/60 grams a day. I also personally don't care about building lots of muscle, so I'm not wanting it for that. I am planning on trying for another baby in the near future (my 3rd :)) and know that protein is key throughout pregnancy too!
Also, I eat lunch with my kids, put them down for nap and about an hour later workout for 30+min, jogging/running or JD2 on the Wii. So it will be before my workouts. But I only have 1400 cals/day and would want to swap it for a meal I think. And lastly, no suggestions about mixing it w/water - i hate that, eww! Thank you so much for any of your ideas/thoughts!!!
ps - I'm using EAS soy protein from Wal-mart, it's what I like and can afford - it has 20 g protein, 140 cals, 14 g sugar

Replies

• FindingMyself239
    Options
    I think its a good idea because I do the same thing as well...It keeps me full and satisfy my hunger..try it out and see if you like it:)
    Even though you dont wanna mix with water I do and add a few strawberries or even all natural peanut butter
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It can work for some. When I tried it I was hungry sooner later in the afternoon. Good luck, it can be a great meal replacement.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    it is not a bad idea at all. it is something light that will get you through your workout.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I usually have a shake for lunch because it's easy for me to make at home and drink it at work.. I use protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, frozen fruits and ice... Sometimes pb2 and just recently tried it with pumpkin puree! I would experiment and see what you like and what keeps you full... Good Luck!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake every day for my lunch, right after my workout on my lunch break.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I do it every now and then - especially when I'm leaving straight from the gym and need something easier to get me through.
  • tmorse7
    tmorse7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to get in the protein required and are usually low in calories and fat. However, I would suggest you use a good whey protein rather than soy protein. Soy has been shown to increase phytoestrogens that can precurse breast cancer. I have a protein shake every day, I use Unjury protein as I think it is by far the best tasting, and I mis it with almond milk. Total calories 210 and it keeps me satisfied through an hour of cardio kickboxing easily!
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    mmmm...with almond milk, I'll have to try that for sure! Thanks for all the replies everyone!!
    and @Shangsm - is that Anne Hathaway?!!
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You might want to be sure that you aren't overdoing soy. If that's the only place you're getting it, it might be o.k. I'm not sure what the daily recommendation is, but it is possible for women to have to much due to it being plant estrogen.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    @Lana - yeah that would be the only place i'm getting it. I have googled the whole soy debate, and it wld be in moderation.