Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hey I'm thinking about getting a HRM. I'd like to get one that I can wear as a watch, that isn't too complicated, that is fairly accurate, and that isn't too expensive. Suggestions?

Replies

• tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am looking for one too.. Sorry don't have a suggestion for you, just interested to see what other people may have :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Polars are terrific. I have the Polar FT60 and my Zumba and dance instructor has the Polar FT4. Both are terrific!!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am interested too
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    the polar Hrm's come with a chest strap. From what I've read, you get a more accurate number with the strap AND the watch.
  • roozombie
    roozombie Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on sales at REI, and you might be able to get one at a discount. I ended up getting a Timex Ironman (for women) HRM. I've used it without issue almost daily since July of this year and haven't had any issues. I did pay $150 for it though. I'd say the cheaper models aren't quite worth it--I initially got a Gaiam HRM for $70 on sale, but I could never get it to work.

The Timex HRM was a bit tedious to set up, but now it's easy to use, and the one I have has indiglo, so if you walk in the evening/at night, that may be helpful.

I'd also say you can check reviews on Amazon too of various products; I know people like Garmin a lot, but they were just waaay too out of my price range.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 - Easy, not too expensive, and awesome. Watch and chest strap, and believe me, you need the chest strap. You get used to it quickly.
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    when i was looking i took advice on here for a Timex personal trainer- so i got it on amazon for like $42- which was in my $ range. i have to say that i am NOT happy with it. it took 4 of my friends to help me figure out how to enter in my weight, the directions give you absolutly NO direction- and even with that registered it seems that i am burning like twice as much as what other people get when they are doing the same workout.

SOOO just wanted to throw that out there- i too don't have $$ to spend on a Polar - but it may be worth the splurge b/c within 2 months i already feel i want to toss mine to the side...

do your research & get a quality piece! good luck
  • cactus39
    Options
    Polar FT4. Comes with a watch and the band that goes around your chest. Ive used mine for 3 months and it works great. I bought it on Amazon for $75.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT4F-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B0031ZK84E
  • howardcd
    howardcd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Buy the GARMIN FR60. I've had mine for ten months and I love it. It looks like a normal watch but pairs wireless with a HR monitor, foot pod and bike sensor. My wife bought mine at Sam's Club last year at Christmastime for $99. It was a package including the chest strap and foot pod. I recently purchased the bike sensor and it works great. The watch has an alarm on it and tracks everything you could possibly want except for elevation. It does NOT have a GPS in it, so if that is important to you, then this isn't the watch for you. It even comes in pink! I'm a believer. Go get one. You'l llove it!

Chris
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I use the Sportline Suo Pro 1060. Not too difficult to set up and easy to use
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4. I paid $80 for it, but it's really easy to set up and use. I've had it for 2 years and I haven't had any problems.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few months ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

Also, search for online codes so that you can take advantage of any additional savings......
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 (watch and chest strap) and the Flowlink which is a device you set the watch on when you are done working out and it uploads the info to PolarPersonalTrainer.com for easier tracking. I love them both.
  • Fitfab41
    Fitfab41 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 and LOVE it!