Starting Atkins-Any Advice? Menu Ideas? previously did lindo

Options
2»

Replies

• Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost 65lbs on Atkins after my 1st child, I took a daily vitamin + fish oil supplement (I don't eat fish). Chicken, salad, eggs & broccoli were my favorite foods. Be Sure you are taking in mostly veggies you can have hamburger & bacon just don't let it become most of what you consume.
    Now I have 3 kids & am on a mission to loose weight, This time I did the induction phase of Atkins to get my appetite & sugar addiction under control now I'm eating healthy & watching portions & working out between 30-45 min. a day
    I suggest reading 1 of Dr.Atkins books, Check out Atkins.com. You will get a lot of ppl bashing low-carb dieting bottom line There is a right way & a wrong way to do it as long as you are doing it right IGNORE them. (I am going to give this healthy eating & exercising a real honest hard shot & if in 6 wks I don't see any improvements I will def. go back to Atkins!)
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Atkins is not great. You lose quickly, but often gain it right back after you week yourself off of it.

Umm, true for ANY DIET

Atkins is a good diet, and like any diet, if you follow it for life it works for life.

Do not blame the diet for those who do not follow it. Every single diet on earth has that problem.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    both me and my boss did the atkins diet for 2 weeks i lost 10 pounds was really ill with it felt so tired no energy light headed i had to take time off work we both stopped doing it as soon as we did the weight just went back on and we was eating healthy i would just be careful. if i was you count your calories and just cut down on the bread and have small portions of pasta and rice etc:smile:

Yes, the first 2 weeks can be exactly like that, exactly as described in the books. To bad you stopped cause you were likely about to move past that. Some people get feeling that way during the first two weeks of induction. But I promise, it passes.

Your body has lived off sugar since birth, and now is switching to living off fat for energy (just like breast milk provides), its not always an easy switch from that. Quitting smoking also sucked. Quitting coffee does too.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do not blame the diet for those who do not follow it. Every single diet on earth has that problem.
    Could not have said it better...
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    @Qarol, Larius & BigDaddy-See link below. ;) Have a nice day!
    You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah.

Why is this needed, exactly?
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah. Just follow MFP and YOU decide if you get that gum or not. ;) Many gums are sugar free. Best wishes!

Uh...NO, you DONT need 55% of your diet to be in Carbs.

Having done Atkins, I have to say it isnt worth the trouble. Find a good balance in your diet of Protein/Carbs/Fat and focus on exercise and calorie intake goals.
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs,
    fail

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    both me and my boss did the atkins diet for 2 weeks i lost 10 pounds was really ill with it felt so tired no energy light headed i had to take time off work we both stopped doing it as soon as we did the weight just went back on and we was eating healthy i would just be careful. if i was you count your calories and just cut down on the bread and have small portions of pasta and rice etc:smile:

Yes, the first 2 weeks can be exactly like that, exactly as described in the books. To bad you stopped cause you were likely about to move past that. Some people get feeling that way during the first two weeks of induction. But I promise, it passes.

Your body has lived off sugar since birth, and now is switching to living off fat for energy (just like breast milk provides), its not always an easy switch from that. Quitting smoking also sucked. Quitting coffee does too.

Indeed. I've often used the Atkins induction as an analogy to rabid anti-smokers who claim smoking is as addictive to heroin. It isn't. The first few days of giving up smoking is psychologically tough and physically you have strong and frequent cravings. But ever seen a junkie go cold turkey? There's really no comparison.

Moving to the low carb lifestyle was, I was amazed to find, very similar in terms of experience, to giving up smoking. Constant craving for sweets and chocolates (so that I seemed to think about it constantly for most of the day), lethargy, irritability etc. But as with giving up smoking, once you get past that hump of the first few days you soon settle into things.

I was actually astonished at how similar the two experiences were, and it really made me realise that I was a sugar/carb junkie ( I used to get through half a loaf of bread a day, plus rice, pasta, cereals, chocolates etc). I feel much "cleaner" since going low carb.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That said, I did start smoking again a year later.

I haven't started carbing again, though.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So last summer I did Lindora, which worked great but EVERY DAY I had to go in and get a shot in my side of B-6 & B-12 which was literally a pain in my a**! The difference I see between Lindora & Atkins is that Lindora seems more restrictive. We weren't allowed cheese (except diet string cheese type cheese), no oils or high fats, I wasn't even allowed to chew gum because they claimed a piece had 3 carbs!!!

Atkins seems more real to me because yes it is still very carb restrictive BUT you are allowed a little more protein options as in different cheese, healthy oils (which i love) and more vegetables.

Im 190 and need to get to around 130, I can live without refined carbs because ive done it before, I think atkins will be easier because I have more leeway in the protein I can consume.

Anyone have any advice on the kickoff part of the diet? Things to definately avoid, and strategy when you pleateu?

My advice is to go out and get an Atkins book, and follow it to the tee. Give it AT LEAST 2 weeks (according to the book), but IMO give it a month to really change your bad carb habits, and make a new habit.
    There is an Atkins Support Group thread...do a search and get great advice!
    Good luck!
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER :)
  • Bailey543
    Options
    Right on! This is exactly what I was thinking.

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    @Qarol, Larius & BigDaddy-See link below. ;) Have a nice day!
    You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah.

Why is this needed, exactly?
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs, sooo yeah. Just follow MFP and YOU decide if you get that gum or not. ;) Many gums are sugar free. Best wishes!

Uh...NO, you DONT need 55% of your diet to be in Carbs.

Having done Atkins, I have to say it isnt worth the trouble. Find a good balance in your diet of Protein/Carbs/Fat and focus on exercise and calorie intake goals.
    Atkins is dumb. You need 55% of your diet to be carbs,
    fail

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

Please tell me what is wrong with a diet that emphasis eating lots of vegetables, protein and healthy fats, with minimal grain- or starch-based carbs. There is nothing in grain- or starch-based carbs that your body requires to function. Nothing.

=============

That said....To the OP, what the heck do they inject you with anyway? Sounds creepy.