NROLFW question re: equipment

Options
I am thinking of getting the book and starting the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't have a gym membership, so I am wondering what kind of equipment is necessary for the workouts outlined in the book. Thanks!

Replies

• countrygirl_717
    Options
    bump
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The book has work arounds if you don't have access to something like an olympic bar.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am on my 21st week of the regular NROL (not the one specifically for women). I do work out at a gym and have used dumbbells of various weights, barbells and weight plates of various weights, a Swiss Ball, and a knee high step. Also, some of the exercises are done on various machines such as seated cable row, wide-grip lat pulldown, etc...

If the NROLFW follows a similar work-out pattern it might be difficult and/or expensive to gather all the necessary equipment for use at home. Is gym membership a possibility for you at all?
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I hear absolutely wonderful things about NROLFW..... that the people tend to like it more than P90x, shapewise.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been successful with 2-20lb adjustable dumbbells, a 10lb kettlebell, 2-5lb handweights, a resistance band and a swiss ball (just things I already had). There are modifications for doing things at home without the barbell. I also sometimes check online at bodybuilding dot com for alternative exercises when I'm not sure how to do something or what I can substitute for equipment that I don't have.

We just joined a gym, so now I will have access to a few more pieces of equipment. :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump for later read...i have the book from the library and just ordered a copy for myself from borders with a gift card so i have it during the 6 month program without having to keep the library copy forever lol....i'm interested in the answers that come in as i have a membership to the y and a gym right now but also have a few weights at home...want to get the workouts in no matter where i am so i'm curious of the info provided here...to the original poster, thanks for posing the question...
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fairly difficult to do at home considering the goal is to lift heavy. You can probably get away with it in the earlier stages but in the advanced stages it'll be hard. For example, the deadlift and the squat both rely on using the olympic bar...alternatives to using it? I don't know. Body weight is not going to cut it and you could use a barbell instead but you'll have to use a lot of weight and that's costly too. It's a great program but not the best if you don't have access to a gym or a great home gym.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i generally use the gym but i've done the work outs at home when i'm in a pinch.

you need dumbbells, something like a 45 lb bar (i used a bag of dog food for squats when i was in a pinch), a pull up bar is a good alternative to the lat pull downs, a step/table thats about 1-1.5 feet high, and that'll do it.

I did find that i increased my weights really fast and i ran through my home dumbbells really quickly. HOWEVER, play it again sports has these for CHEAP!!!

in short, you can do it at home you just have to be creative and don't cheat yourself by using light weights.

this program is WAY better than P90X...i lost more Body Fat and weight in the first stage (8 weeks) of this than I did over 90 days (12 weeks) of P90X...i look way better too.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

you need dumbbells, something like a 45 lb bar (i used a bag of dog food for squats when i was in a pinch), a pull up bar is a good alternative to the lat pull downs, a step/table thats about 1-1.5 feet high, and that'll do it.

I did find that i increased my weights really fast and i ran through my home dumbbells really quickly. HOWEVER, play it again sports has these for CHEAP!!!

in short, you can do it at home you just have to be creative and don't cheat yourself by using light weights.

I'm finding the same thing happening. I don't belong to a gym, so I ran out to D.icks and bought a barbell with 100lbs of varied weights, and adjustable dumbbells (so my weight plates are interchangeable with the bar or 'bells). I've only done about 5 workouts so far (not even 2 weeks in) but I'm buying more weight plates today. The whole goal of the book is to lift HEAVY, so as the weeks progress you get a good idea of how heavy you can handle with good form with doing less reps.

For example, if you do alternating lunges. and you're holding 15lbs in each hand, you can complete all 15 reps of a set.... you need more weight. Add 5-10 lbs and see if you can do all 15 again with the next set. That'll give you an idea. When your reps drop down to 12 (after a couple of weeks), you have a good idea of what you can handle. I think Allwyn (sp?) has you getting down to only 8 reps by the end of the program, so you should be strong as an ox.

Do yourself a favor and do it right. This program is awesome, you won't get bored with it, and your body will thank you. You might have to invest $100-$200 up front if you don't have any equipment, but if you watch Craigslist or just bite the bullet and pay retail, in the end it's wayyy cheaper than joining a gym :lol::

There are benefits to joining a gym, but if you read the reviews on Amazon you'll see a lot of people are annoyed at trying to stick with the program with other people milling around, using the machines and "getting in the way". But if you do this at home, watch your mirror and do your research to stay safe.

Buy a bar and dumbbells and plates. Lots of plates. :-D And get a step.

I remember a comedian once saying, "That's the doorbell! Oh my god, my STEP has arrived! Let me run down the steps and get it!!" :happy: I'm sure you can find something sturdy around the house.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I'm finding the same thing happening. I don't belong to a gym, so I ran out to D.icks and bought a barbell with 100lbs of varied weights, and adjustable dumbbells (so my weight plates are interchangeable with the bar or 'bells). I've only done about 5 workouts so far (not even 2 weeks in) but I'm buying more weight plates today. The whole goal of the book is to lift HEAVY, so as the weeks progress you get a good idea of how heavy you can handle with good form with doing less reps.

For example, if you do alternating lunges. and you're holding 15lbs in each hand, you can complete all 15 reps of a set.... you need more weight. Add 5-10 lbs and see if you can do all 15 again with the next set. That'll give you an idea. When your reps drop down to 12 (after a couple of weeks), you have a good idea of what you can handle. I think Allwyn (sp?) has you getting down to only 8 reps by the end of the program, so you should be strong as an ox.

Do yourself a favor and do it right. This program is awesome, you won't get bored with it, and your body will thank you. You might have to invest $100-$200 up front if you don't have any equipment, but if you watch Craigslist or just bite the bullet and pay retail, in the end it's wayyy cheaper than joining a gym :lol::

There are benefits to joining a gym, but if you read the reviews on Amazon you'll see a lot of people are annoyed at trying to stick with the program with other people milling around, using the machines and "getting in the way". But if you do this at home, watch your mirror and do your research to stay safe.

Buy a bar and dumbbells and plates. Lots of plates. :-D And get a step.

I remember a comedian once saying, "That's the doorbell! Oh my god, my STEP has arrived! Let me run down the steps and get it!!" :happy: I'm sure you can find something sturdy around the house.

Great reply!

I still don't have access to a barbell at my gym (they have machines and free-weights) but you can adjust with a little creativity. No, it's not then the same routine as Alwyn perscribes, and I probably won't get the very same results, but I am getting results. :) And go HEAVY!! I told myself this morning as I tried to do lunge squats with my rear foot elevated that the 2-25lb dumbbells I was holding were too heavy. Then I said, no, if I go down to 2-20lb dumbbells like i've been doing for weeks, I will never get stronger. I did it!! lol
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Besides dumbbells at home, I have limited access to gym equipment. I do have access to some machines, but they're pretty limited: lat pulldown, incline press, seated cable row, and cable pulldown (single, not double, but I *think* can be adjusted to do legs as well). But no leg press, leg curl, or really anything for legs.

So what would I need in addition?
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump (very excited to start NROLFW; read the book already) :)
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start NROLFW at home in 2 weeks. I've only got 2 weeks of P90x left and then I need something new to do. I've already read the book and I'm so excited to start.

I have dumbbells, barbell, weight plates, adjustable bench, pull-up bar, exercise ball. I'm not sure what else I'll need or is that enough to start? I'm debating joining a gym, but not sure about it yet.