Tortilla chips

Options
Alright, so I've got a serious weakness for tortilla chips. I've always thought it was ok, there's not much to them, no big deal. Until I finally logged some today. High in fat, carbs, sodium; Low-no protein, vitamins, minerals. I mean, I knew this before, but to see it, it kinda broke my heart. I LOVE tortilla chips. I could, and probably do, eat them every day! I'm about to finish a bag as a type this! So my question is, is there something I can use to replace them? Some kind of tortilla chip substitute? It's gotta have the crunchy, and the salty, and the deliciousness.
Thanks!

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own makes either high fiber or high protein pretzels, I don't remember, but that might do the trick :)
    Or try pop chips, or even baked tortilla chips. Or rice cakes! I could go on!
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a half bag a night of the multigrain ones...I haven't had any for 3 weeks now...You get used to it.

I eat baby carrots now!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can put the tortillas in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes (be careful not to burn them) and they will be nice and crisp.... and they taste great!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Try adding a salsa for nutrition.......don't beat yourself up over it.........nobody's perfect, nor should they be.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I buy plain corn tortillas, cut them in wedges and bake at about 350 until they're crisp. Cheap and much healthier than anything you can buy in a bag.
  • Jlynb1109
    Jlynb1109 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The baked ones are surprisingly good.
  • buddha5050
    buddha5050 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try limiting yourself to one serving, measure them out and put them in a small bowl ( to make it look like there is more :wink: ) and put the bag up. Or try not bringing them in the house, because all they are going to do is sit there and stair at you:laugh:
  • Littlered9
    Options
    Chip In's are yummy, as long as you only eat a small serving at a time. Also, recently found UTZ Rice chips (Salsa Fresco & Sweet Chili flavors) and they are decent too (but really tasty!)....in moderation. None of these are really good for you though. Best to stear clear of chips. Have you tried rice cakes?
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    slice up pieces of whole wheat pita and toast them briefly. Yummy with hummus.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I buy plain corn tortillas, cut them in wedges and bake at about 350 until they're crisp. Cheap and much healthier than anything you can buy in a bag.

Me too, I love them actually!
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take an LA Tortilla Factory low carb wrap, cut it into wedges with a pizza cutter, spray with Olive Oil Pam then bake until lightly crisp. Only 80 calories for the whole bunch! :)
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted to tortilla chips. I still them on most days but I limit myself to the portion on the bag (13 chips). I savor them now instead of just sitting there mindlessly stuffing them in!
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try the homemade ones - thank you all for sharing that. Has anyone tried it with regular flour tortillas? I'm not a big fan of the corn ones. Just curious.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I actually did flour tortilla for dh and the children when I made chili and they loved it- especially dh :)
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Buy a stack of corn tortillas, cut them in wedges and bake them in the oven. Season to taste. I tried it and hated it so i wrote off tortilla chips but it might work for you.
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Garden of Eatin makes several kinds that are no salt added. If you have a World Market near you, they make veggie tortilla chips. Food Should Taste Good makes a sweet potato tortilla chip. I have had them all, and they are very good!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    i like pita chips. i take a regular whole wheat pita, slice it up, then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. awesome with hummus or tomato sauce.

............and i also love tortilla chips. i had to stop getting them at all. i thought i could keep some just to eat ONE serving of here and there, but they are just too tempting.

i also eat pretzels and special k chips a lot but they aren't so healthy, just low calorie ;)
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    slice up pieces of whole wheat pita and toast them briefly. Yummy with hummus.

oops i repeated him ;)
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    I'd like to try the homemade ones - thank you all for sharing that. Has anyone tried it with regular flour tortillas? I'm not a big fan of the corn ones. Just curious.

i haven't done it with corn or flour, but i have with the wheat ones, and it's yummy too. i also like to squeeze lime juice on them before putting them in the oven. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I can't buy them. I love them too and will eat a whole bag if I'm not careful!