Should I try Nutri System???

Options
I have been on this weight loss journey since February 7th, 2011, eating healthy and portioned meals and of course working out. I was just thinking about doing nutri system for about a month, since I have been doing this on my own I wasn't to concerned about learning how to eat once I come off of it. The reason is to get a little more weight off.

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem works but it costs a lot and all it is is portioned meals. As long as you can control your eating habits by yourself, I wouldn't waste the money
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The food is nasty! If you're doing well with portions and eating well on your own, I'd say save the 300 bucks (or whatever it is) and treat yourself to a day at the spa or something fun when you reach a weight loss milestone.
  • fivetwo84
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing the replies you get to this. I've also been curious about Nutri System, & wondered if it was a good plan, etc. I have heard that the food is decent, but the desserts aren't so great.
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    agreed. the food is not good and it costs a lot. in my opinion, not worth it
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    IMO whatever you can do on Nutrisystem, Medifast, WW, you can do on MFP. It's all about counting your calories, whatever system you use. Some provide the meals, points, whatever, it's the same.

Also, have you worked in any cardio/weight training? Believe it or not weights is where you're going to see your biggest drop/shape change. Try 30DS, or if you're more advanced, P90X and I bet you'll see a difference.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The food was disgusting and after buying fruits & veg I was more in the hole vs. trying to do it on my own.
    All it teaches you is to rely on someone else to feed you and not how to reduce portion size and make better choices on your own
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but if the food is anything like what Jenny Craig used to sell, its full of sodium, very expensive, and believe me, you can do better on your own. I got really tired of the J C foods, and only ate a handful of things, got boring really fast. You can buy Weight Watchers, Healthy choice, or others and pretend they are from NutriSystems. :o) In the end you would still have to add your own fresh fruit, dairy, etc.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    A couple of friends did N.S. and lost weight,
    BUT
    as soon as they started eating 'regular' food again, the weight came back.
    Don't waste your money.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My friend paid over 300 dollars for that food and it looks digusting. I wouldn't do it. Just use measuring cups if you are watching portions.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I suppose but what are you going to do when you stop??? will you know what and how much of what to eat? are you going to be able to avoid eating out? and does it taste good? I've heard no. .... good luck.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I always see their foods being sold it Big Lots, the packages are tiny and it kind of scares me to think of eating these "meals" that don't need to be refrigerated.
  • cecihen
    cecihen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did NutriSystem when I plateaued--but the food is terrible, and I never did it for more than 3 weeks because I couldn't stand the food! yuck! I just follow the principals now (more veggies!) and it's working for me. It does work, if that's why you're thinking about it, but the food is terrible! Plus they base it on a 1200 calorie diet--which really is not good b/c it doesn't take into consideration calories you burn when you work out intensely. I recommend sticking to using this wonderful tool, and just tracking everything you eat and the exercise you do. If you're plateauing--it helps sometimes to just change your activity or something within your diet. You can do it and best of luck!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss on Nutrisystem (did it for two months), it does cost a lot and it does work. If you can eat a frozen dinner you can eat a Nutrisystem dinner IMO. It gave me the jump start I needed, after investing that time and money I was going to be successful and. It may work for you too. I have been dedicated to MFP since I started this life changing project in March of this year. I am not sure I would go back (I don't plan on needing to) to NS now that I have MFP and all this knowledge and all these great friends!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    DONT DO IT!!!!
  • MilennaR
    Options
    If you are looking for something that has prepared food I have heard Medifast is not too bad. I have been doing the Xyngular Ignite program and I lost 10 lbs in 8 days. I am doing maintenance for a week and then doing another round. I love this program. It is the only things that has worked for me.

If you intersted in learning more you can read my blog: www.skinnytalk.blogspot.com
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I tried it. While it may be a well balanced diet, and offer ease and control in a way that some people may need, it was not for me. I am not a particularly picky eater - quite the opposite- and I found the food to be awful - I threw most in the trash.

And, it is much more expensive than purchasing fresh and cooking yourself.

If you want an plan that is easy in a similar way to NutiSystem, a more affordable option I would suggest is to stock up onLean Cuisine meals, raw veggies and fruit.
  • SannaBourne
    Options
    I tried nutri system.. not so tasty
    but i do like structured dieting.. i like knowing what to eat and this diet is all about portion control =)
    i would say dont waste your money, very expensive.. & just try eating healthy meals at home :)
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Anything with powder pellets labeled "mac and cheese" that I have to add water to is a no-go...was a total waste of my money and wish I had had someone to tell me not to do it back then
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was on NS and lost weight, but first...even with the specials it is costly...plus your add-ins.

Second, just because it is a weight loss tool, does not mean it is healthy for you. High sodium, lots of chemically crap in it.

NS taught me portion control, which is something I needed. There food was okay...but I had to look at it as my RX for weight loss. I soon bored of it and couldn't eat that way for life.

I am doing "Eating Clean now, I love it. Save your $$$$