calories burned

Options
I worked out on an elliptical trainer and entered my age, weight and weight loss program. I kept my hands on the heart rate monitor and kept an average of 160 hr. after the 30 min workout it told me i burned 450 calories. When I got home I entered it into MFP. It is telling me i burned 637 calories. Which is more accurate, the machine or MFP?

Replies

• wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Not sure...from what others have posted, the machines are not accurate. Pedometers are recommended to be the most accurate.
  • HollyDittfurth
    HollyDittfurth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @wjkfloyd- I just have to say I love the profile pic!! Hilarious!! :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I get the same thing when I use my elliptical and I go by the elliptical. But if you want a more accurate number get a pedometer that calculates calories as well.
  • ramon3
    ramon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    from what i have read from other users, many people say mfp is more accurate because it has more info about yourself such as your height in proportion to your weight that the elliptical does not know. in order to get a more accurate reading people recommend a heart rate monitor. personally, i usually just go with what mfp says.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I always go with the lowest number for calories burned so I don't overestimate and end up eating too many calories back. I would think the elliptical would be more accurate, but it's hard to tell without a HRM (heart rate monitor). The best option might be to just take the average of the two and use that number.

Sorry, this response isn't very helpful :P