What was your breaking point?

Options

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    When my size 2 jeans were getting tight....size 0 is my happy size.

:huh:

I've never been bigger than a 25" waist. Everyone has their breaking point....it doesn't mean it has to be dramatic.

No no, I get it. :yawn:
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    When my friend (age 43) had a heart attack. He's by no means fat, but he's been a smoker his entire adult life. After talking (seemingly endlessly) about losing weight, I finally told my doctor I was scared and needed some help. She told me exactly what I didn't want to hear: eat less. Move more. Duh. *sigh*

She suggested WW, which is a good program. But I can't fit the meetings or online membership into my budget right now. When I found MFP the same day, I was ecstatic!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Same here except it was a skin tight leather dress...my roommate had to help me get it off. I left our apartment immediately and went directly to the gym.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I should have had a million of them. Growing out of size after size of clothes, seeing myself in pictures, not being able to reach my feet to put on my sandals, noticing my body takes a lot more effort to keep smelling good, getting winded walking up a flight of stairs, I could go on and on.....I can't believe all that happened and I still kept eating. Then suddenly, I decided to stop without anything new happening in my life. I guess it's just way past due.

Although there is something to having your doctor suggest you get your stomach stapled. I don't know, I guess you just have to be mentally ready. I am just so done being fat. I wish it were next year already.
    HUmMMM me too and it wasn't being asked twice at my 20 year class reunion when my baby was due:noway: and I "only" weighed 160 that day. I rry most of y weight in my stomach. It wasn't getting put on high blood pressure medicaine 6-7 years ago.

What turned me around was when the doctor said this number is your glucose. You are now pre-daibetic. BOOM
    the next day I had my last Diet Coke and my last potato chips. The following day was my 54th birthday and I have lost 23.5 pounds just by eating right and (for the last 2.5 weeks,) working out.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I cooked a recipe my mom used to make for us all the time for dinner. I called her and told her I made it for dinner. My spouse and I had eaten the whole thing. I asked her, "How many of those did you have to make for our whole family?" she said, "Just the one, and we always had some left over." "Ummmm, yeah. Leftover. Lord help me, I am eating the same amount of food that used to serve a family of 5+" :embarassed:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I've never been bigger than a 25" waist. Everyone has their breaking point....it doesn't mean it has to be dramatic.

that is too weird! I'm 135 pounds and i'm a size 0 ;)
  • CindiBryce
    Options

Really? I have the same BMI as you and I'm a 4-6. I was a size 2 when I was 12 pounds lighter. But I probably have less muscle, and a smaller frame.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Really? I have the same BMI as you and I'm a 4-6. I was a size 2 when I was 12 pounds lighter. But I probably have less muscle, and a smaller frame.
    [/quote]

i guess being a college athlete will do that to yaaa
  • gabbyhayes82
    Options
    i was almost 200 lbs. i was 197 lbs and i was about to gain 3 more lbs and get it over with but i decided to lose the weight instead and im so glad i did
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    I have a bit of a different breaking point from everyone else. Mine was when I realized that I couldn't live the way I was living anymore. I was essentially killing myself with my eating disorder. Now, my focus is to live a healthier lifestyle.
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    when my 11 year old could do more pushups than i could. military style.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump :heart:
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    mines is kinda stupid compared to everyone elses.. but my breaking point was in high school in PE class..
    when we were running the mile, i passed by the boy i had been crushing on , and he said
    "uh oh can't let the whale beat me" .

That isn't stupid at all but seriously sad and upsetting... what a jerk!

Ditto! Just wait until your 10 year reunion when he's got a beer belly and you look like a million bucks :bigsmile:
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    When i realiesed i have no photos of me with either of my children because i deleted all the ones I looked fat in....hmmm realising its not the cameras fault decided to loose weight before both children have grown up and i have no photo memories with them.
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I couldn't pull my jeans anymore and I had to go a size up...it was time. It scared me so much because I was already big and I got even bigger. That's when I knew that I had to change not just for me but for my lil guy. And I so flipping ready to not be the fat friend anymore!
  • laylina
    laylina Posts: 50
    Options
    When i realiesed i have no photos of me with either of my children because i deleted all the ones I looked fat in....hmmm realising its not the cameras fault decided to loose weight before both children have grown up and i have no photo memories with them.

I do this too!!! I also had enough when I realized i was afraid to go out and be social because of how I Felt about myself.
  • mntgrl68
    Options
    Funny, mine was today when a neighbor asked me if I was "expecting". And I made the realization that I weigh 20 pounds more right now than I did at full term with my 3rd child who was born at 11 pounds! I came back inside, cried for awhile, pouted all day and finally got on my stationary bike for awhile. And updated my food tracker for today. I can also relate to most of the posts on here today about the jeans and the photos.
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I was shopping and looking for my size in Forever 21 and I realized that I was confined to a small section with limited options labeled "Plus Size" when there was an entire store with tons of different styles and clothes that I couldn't fit because I was a size 14. This was when I said enough is enough.
  • legsfordays
    Options
    Me, alone in my dorm, eating Nutella out of the jar. I've "started over" many times, but that was the very first time I took a look at myself and knew I needed to change. Not just for my weight, but for my health.
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    First breaking point: When my legs started hurting all. the. time and I talked to my mom about it and I went to her place and weighed myself and started to cry, because I was 232 lbs at 5'5". I came out to the kitchen at my moms place and started to cry and my mom offered to pay for weight watchers for me. I joined that week but I never did end up letting them pay for it.

My second breaking point was realizing that I had put 20 of the 65 lbs I had managed to lose back on, and that I essentially had two pairs of jeans and one pair of work pants I could still wear.