emotional eating

Options
so ive been going strong and steady the past few weeks but i am starting to feel overwhelmed with some life stuff and don't want to turn to food as I have in the past. i know the best thing is to keep pushing through and take my anxiety out in my workouts. just been a hard day today.

what other things to you do to get through without old comforts

Replies

• lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Find something that stimulates you creatively. I paint and dance when I am feeling emotional eating coming on. I eat a peppermint, drink a mint tea, or brush my teeth to deter eating also.
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like turning to food as a form of stress relief (which I used to do ALL the time in the past) I go for a walk, a good long hard and fast walk. If I find that I can't walk because of place or time ect. I squat and box or I drink a lot of water and chew gum. We all have our hard days, you WILL get through this and do just fine. Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree with 21karensmith & Lisitabonita. When you feel it coming on, get away from food sources and do something either creative or physical. Stimulate the brain in some way that creates the happy endorphins. Sometimes even taking a quick tepid shower will re-set you.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    One thing that has always helped me is writing. I started sewing and lifted more weights. Usually when I'm emotional, I'm looking for something to occupy my time to get through that moment. Food is something that makes me feel worse but instantly gratified. If I work on something, then I can feel a sense of accomplishment from finishing it and empowerment from not letting my urge to eat take over me.
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I like to simplify things. There's nothing wrong with regressing a bit. I usually do something that I really enjoyed doing as a child, whether it be playing a video game(I was kind of a video game nerd growing up) or watching a movie I liked as a kid. It really helps me forget about what's making me feel overwhelmed.
  • Alice230
    Options
    Try music or some kind of hobby that you like. Or you could try a warm bath or exercising.
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thx everyone. i took my frustrations out on the treadmill, got a quick burn and cleared my mind. so glad I made it through that "episode" feeling better about things today. its a new day and i know ill get thru these challenges im having right now