Peanut Butter Shortage

SueInAz
SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
This will come as very bad news for a lot of you. Stock up now!

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/56325/peanut-butter-problem-1.asp

Take a good, long look at that jar of peanut butter sitting on your kitchen table. It's going to have to last you a while.

The United States has a peanut shortage this fall and soon peanut butter prices will jump around 30 percent.

Drought was the main obstacle for peanut growers this year.

Tiffany Arthur, an agricultural economist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency, said that in Texas, the air was so dry that irrigation water would evaporate before the water could reach the plants. The Texas peanut yield is down 17 percent.

Though not as bad as Texas, dry weather affected farmers in the state with the nation's biggest peanut crop, Georgia.

"I've never seen a year wherein we suffered from planting time, all the way through the growing season," said Hawkinsville, Ga., farmer Rodney Dawson. "I've never experienced a season like this in 41 years."

The dirt "is just hard, really hard. [It's] just like powder, no moisture at all," Dawson said.

"The La Nina is mostly to be blamed here," AccuWeather.com Agricultural Meteorologist Dale Mohler said. "That southern tier of the country where peanuts are grown is typically dry during a La Nina."

La Nina stifles the storm track in the Southern states. There isn't the normal progression of storms. Instead, high pressure systems kill off any moisture and storms.

Worse, the bad news isn't over for the peanut farmers or peanut lovers, Mohler said.

"With La Nina coming back this fall, we're expecting another dry winter and spring in the Southern states and that's more bad news for crops in the South, including peanuts. If summer rains don't materialize [in 2012], that's two bad years in a row."

Another part of the problem is that cotton prices were high around planting time, so farmers planted cotton instead of peanuts. Planted acres for peanuts went down 11 percent this year.

The last time farmers planted so few acres of peanuts was 2009. Before that, it's been nearly a hundred years since so few acres of peanuts were planted, 1915.

Replies

• brb, buying almond\cashew butter.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Noooooo! I must have my peanut butter! I will be stocking up for sure!:laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I really don't get this fascination with peanut butter. Then again, i don't get the fascination with alcohol either tbh...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I'm not panicking. I'm not panicking.
  • I already pay a decent amount for PB2. It's de-fatted peanut butter and it only has 45 calories for the same amount of peanut butter that's normally 190 calories. It comes powdered and you measure out 2 Tbsp of it and add 1 Tbsp of water, and it comes out to about the same consistency and taste as peanut butter, but way better for you. Hyvee carries it in their health food market.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    I already pay a decent amount for PB2. It's de-fatted peanut butter and it only has 45 calories for the same amount of peanut butter that's normally 190 calories. It comes powdered and you measure out 2 Tbsp of it and add 1 Tbsp of water, and it comes out to about the same consistency and taste as peanut butter, but way better for you. Hyvee carries it in their health food market.

I was just thinking we should stock up on this! HEY we could clean out the shelves and EBAY it!
  • blah that sucks.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I really don't get this fascination with peanut butter. Then again, i don't get the fascination with alcohol either tbh...

I don't drink, but peanut butter, oh hell yeah.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    I believe it. I'm not a peanut, but I am in Texas and the heat and drought almost killed me too. I thought it would never end.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Honey almond butter. Problem solved.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    I love good old fashioned PB. So this saddens me.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    I don't really eat peanut butter but the hubby does, and we bought two HUGE jars at costco yesterday. He had heard about the "shortage" as well.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Sunbutter from sunflower seeds is used in the schools now due to so many peanut allergies. It's not half bad. But I still want Peanut Butter. Crunchy Please!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    190 calories for two level tablespoons, who needs it?
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Say it ain't sooooooo!!!!:sad:

(Although that defatted pb sounds very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find some...)

I eat the whipped pb!! I LOVE it! It's my sinful indulgence!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Me. It's still a healthy food, high calorie doesn't equate to bad for you.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    :sad: :cry:
  • ryanfeltz
    ryanfeltz Posts: 126
    going to get a little extra myself tomorrow....
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Me, Me, Me... My oatmeal won't be the same without it. Let the hording begin.... keep your hands off my jar.
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    i just ran out and bought some today. can't go on without the pb!