First 5K Tomorrow

Options
So I was hoping I could get a few do's and don't's from fellow walkers and runners. I'm walking it.

I know the first don't- Don't check out the cute guy's butt walking next to you,my luck I'd most likely walk into a pole or something.

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Read the link in my signature. That may help.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear the answers on this as well, I will be walking in one next Month.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So I was hoping I could get a few do's and don't's from fellow walkers and runners. I'm walking it.

I know the first don't- Don't check out the cute guy's butt walking next to you,my luck I'd most likely walk into a pole or something.

Thats right.....wait until they pass you :wink:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one last month. Here is what worked for me:

Have fun! This is the most important of all.
    Don't worry about how fast other people are going. Pick a pace that is comfortable for you, and keep at it.
    If you are going to walk, stay on the outside of the crowd, the runners will appreciate this.

Good luck!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm running the Race for the Cure 5K tomorrow, it's my third 5K since I started on 9/10/11... first, they are addictive!! You will be signing up for different races for the remainder of the year :)

My suggestion is to drink lots and lots of water today, and make sure you stay hydrated tomorrow as well. It's super humid in Miami and water is a must! Also do not try anything new tomorrow that you haven't done before the race, you know like try eating or drinking something someone else told you too.. just a thought! it would be very inconvenient if nature calls and you're at mile 1.5 :) lol

and of course, have a good time :)
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good for you ! I ran my first 5k Labor Day Weekend and have since done a 5k mud run and am doing another 5k this Sunday.

Staring at cute butts definitely not good :love: but may be hard to do :laugh:

I would just say hydrate tonight and tomorrow , make sure you have good socks on that won't cause blisters and that you aren't breaking in any brand new shoes ! lol

Enjoy it and good luck :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Don't stop at the water stations, you'll get in other people's way. Walk and sip, then toss your cup off the side of the road. Someone picks them up.

Also, when you line up, get in the back of the crowd. This gives the runners and joggers the edge.

It's also good to find someone that has done the course before. For example, the one I did last weekend, I found out some helpful detals by talking to previous participants... mine had a killer hill in the end and, since I was told that, I conserved some energy to tackle it, rather than going all out.

I also sped up my pace going downhill and slowed down going uphill to conserve energy, too.

Good luck! You can do it!:-D

Shannon
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    Should I bring a water bottle? I usually walk with a water bottle, and drink it (never get cramps while walking and drinking water). And I'm leaving for a road trip after the race should I bring my almond granola bar with me?
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Should I bring a water bottle? I usually walk with a water bottle, and drink it (never get cramps while walking and drinking water). And I'm leaving for a road trip after the race should I bring my almond granola bar with me?

I didn't bring a water bottle, I found that I didn't need to hydrate during if I hydrated before. They usually have water at the end of the race and snacks to munch on. Do what you do when you are training, and you will be fine.
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    thanks I'm a nighttime walker (the night life is extremely entertaining, you never know what your going to see) so a morning walk is a complete 180 for me. I always carry a water and listen to my music (praying that I'll be able to use them) The faster music keeps me on the pace I want to be.