Restaurant Rules.....

Options
When there are no nutritional guidelines available??

I'm going to the finger lakes in NY this weekend and we don't have a great choice of restaurants since we're being chauffered from place to place. I think we all get off at one place. Our hotel has no internet, so I have no way of checking out the menu before hand.

Do you guys have any basic rules for picking out foods at a restaurant when you can't look at the calorie guidelines ahead of time???

Don't get me wrong, I plan on enjoying myself at the wineries, but I really don't want to take things too far by binging on my meals besides!!!

Thanks,

Shannon

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If the sides seem a little dense in terms of calories, and I'm not treating myself, I'll ask if they have a veggie substitute. If I'm just going to cheat, to hell with it. Bring on the garlic mashed potatoes; I don't usually have room for those by the end of the day in my caloric budget.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Order sensibly. If the portions seem large, don't eat it all. Stay away from pastas, cream sauces, rice based dishes as those will have the most calories and carbs. Find a nice grilled fish, or shellfish. Or say to heck with it, and enjoy a free weekend! You can always start being good again on Monday.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Avoid cream sauces, mashed potatoes, risotto, fatty cuts of meat, cocktails with a lot of fruit juice and sugar (or sour mix) in them.

Skip the bread basket, and have them bring a salad right away (before apps and all)
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    some smart ideas posted here already. Most restaurants have salads that can be main dishes with meats added (chicken ceasar, etc.) Just be ready for the glares you'll get from the gals who want the fried food and you're making them look bad! ; – )
  • legsfordays
    Options
    If the foods are dense in calories, order an appetizer with or without a small side salad. Have water with lemon. Avoid the bread basket. If you want to order an entree, have the waiter wrap up half of it and save it for later. Going out to eat is so hard when you're dieting, but it's all about willpower.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Get all the salad you can eat - fill up on the great veges - tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, etc, etc, - put the salad dresssing on the side and drink a full glass of water before you even start on the main course - that should help you immensely.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I like some of these ideas!

One I would say too is to get your salad dressing on the side and dip your fork into it and then your salad. That way, you get a little of the flavor on each bite, without over doing it on the dressing.

Also...cheesy stuff will always be high too...and drink lots of water before :)

Good luck! And have fun! It sounds like it should be a fun trip!