Too much?

Options
So...a dilemma. My current workout routine is 70-80 minutes of straight cardio (usually elliptical) 6 days a week and 20 minutes on day 7 (Sunday). My HRM tells me I burn 700 calories for this particular workout. I have incorporated some weight training (15 minutes 2x per week), but having lost a lot of weight in the past doing mostly cardio, am just truly fearful of not doing this much cardio. I eat 1700 calories per day, but Friday's usually wind up being a cheat day for me. It used to just be one "fun" item (usually a bowl of ice cream), but it has sort of morphed into grazing all day long. I feel like, by this point in the week, I"m just flat out starving and my body is saying "feed me!"

I am committed to exercise and calorie counting, but I'm not sure that I can keep up with this cardio routine (it's been like 2.5 years). Plus, the scale has recently jumped approximately 5 pounds without a change in diet or exercise. This is so baffling to me, and absolutely distressing because I was at my "happy" weight.

But, that being said, without doing this much cardio, I fear I am just going constantly reduce my caloric intake to match my cardio calorie burn because otherwise I think I will gain weight.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    do you EAT your exercise calories?
  • Curlylocks714
    Options
    Myfitnesspal usually tells me to eat 1900 TOTAL (not net) calories for NET CALORIES of 1200. So...I guess I eat back some, but not all if I'm eating 1700, right?
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You have to ask yourself if you're going to be able to maintain this. From the sound of your post you don't think so. Your body needs time to rest and recover. My husband suggested doing cardio for three days and muscle toning three days and resting for one. I hate to say it, but he's usually right.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal usually tells me to eat 1900 TOTAL (not net) calories for NET CALORIES of 1200. So...I guess I eat back some, but not all if I'm eating 1700, right?

Right, then you are netting 1000. I would venture to say that is the reason your scale recently jumped. If have a moment, have a look at my profile story. You may find it interesting with regard to working out all the time and gaining weight.

How to resolve your problem:

Have a look at this page called SHOULD I EAT MY EXERCISE CALORIES?

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

There are FANTASTIC links at the bottom of the second page. Reading those links will help you understand what is going on with your body, why you are gaining and how to reverse the problem.

CLIF NOTES: Firstly, if you're at 1200 base cals you probably have your weekly loss goal set to 2 lbs. Is this realistic? Do you have more than 70 lbs. to lose? If the answer is no, you should probably change your weekly goal to 1 lb. (1/2 lb. if you have less than 10 lbs. to go).

Suddenly, you will have a lot more daily calories that you NEED to eat. And, you will also need to eat the exercise calories on top of that.

Eating all these extra calories will MAKE YOU LOSE WEIGHT. Yup. It will.

blessings.