Birth Control??????

Options
I started a new birth control a few months back. Maybe 6 months ago. Since then, I have gained back about 30 pounds. I take it at night. I was wondering who else is having/had issues with this also. I do know that this is a side effect. I'm wondering if the time of day would have any impact on it? I really don't want to switch brands because I like this one and how it controls my moods, and hormones.

Thoughts?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Were you also counting your calories?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am on birth control and have lost 14 kg's since april.

I think it depends on the brand, finding a different one that works for you.
    Usually this is a side effect because of being more hungry...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take a brand called lutera. It controls my mood and helps me a ton. I found that when I'm NOT on it I gain weight with emotional eating. Especially around that Tom
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I was on NuvaRing I stop having food urges and I didn't binge so I felt I was loosing weight.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I started a new birth control a few months back. Maybe 6 months ago. Since then, I have gained back about 30 pounds. I take it at night. I was wondering who else is having/had issues with this also. I do know that this is a side effect. I'm wondering if the time of day would have any impact on it? I really don't want to switch brands because I like this one and how it controls my moods, and hormones.

Thoughts?

Can you tell us the name of the birth control? I know that diff types have diff hormone levels, so a diff one may work better for you. HOWEVER, I have never had any luck with birth control, I always gain weight and now I am not taking it at all. I'm lucky that my partner had a vasectomy though... what about the nuva ring? My doc suggested it, but I really don't like messing with my hormones AT ALL. I've also heard good things about Yaz. Good luck. xo
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control that makes you gain weight.
    They all do if you don't watch what you eat
    But so do fries, McDonald's and KFC.
    Just eat healthy and watch your calories and you won't gain weight
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for 3 years and 80 lbs later, I switched to the implanon (arm implant) and I've been doing pretty good with my weight loss since switching.. Never tried the pill though.
  • kerrints
    Options
    Last time I talked to my doctor she said weight gain as a side effect of birth control usually stops after a few weeks of taking it, similarly to bc's other side effects like cramps and breast tenderness. If you think the gain is because of your birth control you should talk to your doctor to see if this is a possibility and if you should switch brands again.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not depo... :( my friend got it and gained 30 lbs in about three months. :(
    I was on the depo for 3 years and 80 lbs later, I switched to the implanon (arm implant) and I've been doing pretty good with my weight loss since switching.. Never tried the pill though.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I've never gained weight when taking any birthcontrol pills...I've been on 3 different kinds and never had that problem....I never noticed being hungry from them either....

Maybe I'm just weird??? lol
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy! I have been through the wringer with birth control. Pills always make me gain weight--no matter how "low" they say the hormones are. I typically have gained 10-15 lbs in a month, get acne when I normally have very clear skin, not to mention other symptoms that leave me completely out of the mood for anything but eating crap. Yeah. I quit those. I use the Nuva Ring when I use anything hormonal. I typically only gain 10 lbs on that, and then gradually it goes away after a few months.

I don't know what the best answer is for you. I say talk with your provider about that. (Additionally, be careful if you're taking Ortho-Tricycline Low. An employee from a Planned Parenthood clinic said there were lots of unplanned pregnancies that happened on that one in particular.)
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I put on nearly 100 lbs in the 3 years I was on it. When getting my LAST shot, they told me that I need to stay away from breads and potatos and starchy stuff. Thanks for the info 3 years too late!
    I hope it's not depo... :( my friend got it and gained 30 lbs in about three months. :(
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had similar results with 'the pill'. I have tried 3 different brands and all came with about a 15 pound weight gain (and a VERY stubborn 15 pounds I might add...) and I lost it every time I went off of them for any length of time.

My doctor told me it is abnormal with the new meds but totally possible. I know it is really frustrating and discouraging though. I have decided to accept my weight gain as a tolerable side effect as it makes my 'tom' immensely easier. I am still trying to lose the weight or at least turn it into muscle but the scale won't budge (I am turning some into muscle though, my clothes are fitting very differently with lots of exercise/watching my diet but I swear the scale won't leave a 3 pound range).

Anyways hope that helps answer your question, sorry I know it pretty much stinks :(
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I gained soo much weight on depo! I never gained any before that, either. Now that I'm off birth control completely (got my tubes tied, yay!) I don't have to worry much about that.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Try taking it duing the morning when you first wake up. I've heard birth control can cause some weight gain, usually btwn 5-10lbs. My cousin gained quiet a bit of weight on her birth control and her doctor was concerned and wanted to switch her to a different kind (shes a bit over-weight, so he was concerned.)

If you've been tracking your calories, excercising and you can't shake the weight, you should probably speak to your doctor. He may be able to find another brand that you will like.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I'm on the depo now and ive been steadily losing weight
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    When i Was on BC i gained weighy crazy right around the time i took it i would be starving and would eat everything in sight.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    It's Loestrin 24. It's a very low dose level. I have always taken the pill. I've never gained weight. But now that I'm on this one I can't get over how much I've gained. I've always taken it in the morning though. I've been pretty active, watching what I eat. I was doing great with maintaining. The only thing that changed to my knowledge was starting this pill.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I'm off the depo and have been losing weight. I was losing while I was on it, but had to work ALOT harder for it to come off.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I'm on birth control that makes you gain weight.
    They all do if you don't watch what you eat
    But so do fries, McDonald's and KFC.
    Just eat healthy and watch your calories and you won't gain weight

This is not true. Hormonal imbalances can increase cortisol levels, which causes weight gain. Despite efforts to watch diet and exercise. Stress can also increase cortisol levels - a good enough reason to avoid stress too!! :D