Post work-out snacks?

Options
Normally, I workout after dinner so I need some good post workout snacks (preferrably low-cal). I don't really know what nutrients I should/need to eat after working out, so if you know...could you share that as well?

Thanks! (and sorry if this has been asked before, I'm not sure if there's a way to search the topics, but I couldn't find a way to)

Replies

• mushalek
    Options
    low fat or fat free cottage cheese, low in calories and carbs but good amount of protein to support your muscles, you can mix it with just about anything too, salsa, tuna, fruits, veggies, i personally like banana mixed with it :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Are you wanting to eat because you're hungry or just to refuel your body after a workout? You can really eat anything after working out. Maybe some unsalted nuts, or 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. Protein would be a great choice after a workout. Maybe 1 tbsp of peanut butter and an apple or celery.

For future reference, there is a search tab at the top of your screen where it says "Home, Recent Posts, My topics, Signature, then Search"
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Considering that you're eating adequately pre-workout, you really don't need anything post workout, unless you have somehow depleted glycogen AND need it replenished in a hurry so you can perform more physical activity. *ahem*.

So in short, I'd just focus on hitting your daily calories/macronutrients and if you want something after your workout, eat whatever you like that helps you get to those totals.
  • AEinAL
    AEinAL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't call it a "snack" but...i drink muscle mike (light) it has 20 grams of protein and fills up my tummy. I'm not sure what others will say about that specific brand, but i like it. After working out you need protein, so that's how i get it.
  • legsfordays
    Options
    Carbs and protein! I recommend a rice cake/slice of bread/english muffin with peanut butter, almonds, cottage cheese, chocolate milk (believe it or not!) yogurt, hummus and pita, or whip yourself up a smoothie (with protein powder if you have some too)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I like to have a handful of almonds, and a fruit smoothie (made of frozen fruit, almond milk and a bit of honey)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I often will have a protein shake after working out. I use ON Nitrocore 24, which is casein protein and whey protein (24 grams protein total) with skim milk. It's like 300 calories if I use milk (200 if you only use water), but I usually have that many to spare after working out and it keeps me full for when I go to sleep.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to eat because you're hungry or just to refuel your body after a workout? You can really eat anything after working out. Maybe some unsalted nuts, or 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. Protein would be a great choice after a workout. Maybe 1 tbsp of peanut butter and an apple or celery.

For future reference, there is a search tab at the top of your screen where it says "Home, Recent Posts, My topics, Signature, then Search"

DUH! How could I not have seen the search?!! Sorry about that. I'm wanting to refuel my body, not necessarily hungry, though. I've read many times that you should eat after you workout.
  • rosieraven
    rosieraven Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always like bananas after I work out. :) Or you know what else is good? Pita chips! <3 Om nom nom, they're baked, so they're a bit better for you. And if you look, you can find whole wheat. ^_^
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Rosie! I've actually been having bananas and chocolate soy milk after my workout! Its delicious. Ohhh, I love pita chips, especially with hummus! Yum, yum, yummyyyy.
  • allishaFaye
    allishaFaye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks to everyone for this post i am glad i found it, i was feeling very light headed about 2 hours after i worked out and i am thinking i need to eat something when i am done working out. thanks for all the ideas everyone
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    protien. one hard boiled egg 70 cal. 2% mozz cheese stick also 70 cal. not both just one.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I don't typically have a snack after working out unless I've done a long distance run. Then I drink a glass of chocolate almond milk and usually have a banana with some peanut butter. YUM!
  • only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Options
    I like the oiko's greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom, and I like to add pecans to make me feel like I'm eatin a parfait :D

...and also bc I dont like the texture of yogurt all that much so adding pecans makes it more crunchy ;)