Ellipitical - uncoordinated - how long to build up endurance

Options
Hi all, I am able to do the upright stationary bicycle at 30 plus minutes at level 6, I wanted to change it up today and was only able to do the ellipitcal (sp? ) for five minutes............is this someting that I need to work up to? I feel very uncoordinated on it and wonder if I'm capable at all, but I did try it and certainly got my heart up.............any advice would help...thanks!:smile:

Replies

• porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am able to do the upright stationary bicycle at 30 plus minutes at level 6, I wanted to change it up today and was only able to do the ellipitcal (sp? ) for five minutes............is this someting that I need to work up to? I feel very uncoordinated on it and wonder if I'm capable at all, but I did try it and certainly got my heart up.............any advice would help...thanks!:smile:
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    the elliptical definitely feels weird when you first start (i've been working out since i was very very young- so its like second nature) You should definitely keep at it and gain more coordination. Don't force yourself to go longer, and definitely dont try to go fast. You can hold yourself on the bars while you are going for balance. Also, dont put the incline (crossramp?) so high, as it makes it harder to complete a stride if you aren't used to it.

Keep it simple first, then play with the incline and crossramp, then progress to letting your hold on the bars go and swing them for added movement :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes, stick with it. You will get the knack of balancing and will build up your endurance with time. If your feet get numb, move them around a bit. :wink:
  • 4lizjo
    4lizjo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Simple Answer Not long.
    I love working on the ellipitcal because it's almost no impact but great cardio.
    Start off with 5 or 10 min sessions, just be sure to warm up and cool down by walking or taking it slower on the ellipitcal.
    Mentally think that the motion is like walking.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Okay, that is what I was thinking, years ago I was good on the stepper and it took awhile, and yes my feet got numb but I got over that so I will just slowly work up to this new adventure as well. I love the bike but realize I need to change it up.....just because I can go 30 min there certainly did not qualify me for half the time on that machine!:tongue:
  • xrunner99x
    Options
    It will work great once you get the hang of it(:
    just start at level 1 and work your way up.
    good luck!
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    If your gym has different types of elliptical machines, maybe try another type.
    One of the machines at my gym I can only make it about 2 minutes but on another style of machine I can get in a good 10 minutes (after a 60 min brisk walk on the treadmill)

I just started adding it to my workout too, but Im trying to work in longer workouts on it over time. I notice a really big change in my legs the next day when I use it. I like that it is challenging and adds a bit of butt kicking variety to my cardio and burns alot of cals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Plus you are working those upper muscles, too. I reallly can pull and push on the arm bars now. I used to have to just hold on for dear life.:laugh:

Numbness: the sales guy for AMT told me to lift your heels, it should be like a natural walking motion. My foot used to go numb 20 minutes into the workout every time. His idea worked for me.
  • rialynn79
    Options
    Plus you are working those upper muscles, too. I reallly can pull and push on the arm bars now. I used to have to just hold on for dear life.:laugh:

Numbness: the sales guy for AMT told me to lift your heels, it should be like a natural walking motion. My foot used to go numb 20 minutes into the workout every time. His idea worked for me.

What a logically brillant idea! I'm going to do the "walking" motion and see if that helps me. My feet go numb too... I thought it was my shoes! LOL!

Thanks for posting this!!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I'm super uncoordinated.....but i still love my elliptical. the first time i got on it in the gym i could only go 4 minutes....and i fell in love!! still want one for home....havent been on one in a while....sure i lost whatever endurance i had.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Start slow. No incline/ramp and no resistance. Go slowly. Give your body time to get use to the machine.

ALSO, I have two friends who cannot use the elliptical. The machine is built for a certain body posture, and my two friends with back problems (one young, one older) cannot use the elliptical without severe pain and an unsettled feeling of imbalance while they use it. So keep in mind that just because the machine exists does not always mean you should be able to use it and master it! (But give it another shot or three, is my opinion :wink: .)
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    There are a few variations on the Elliptical machines. I believe my favorite brand is the Pre-Cor. I specifically like the lighter black version versus the gray model. The Gray version is bulkier, has additional handles, and is heavier to use. It's ok...I just like the lighter model.

Personally, I have knee issues, so I keep the strength level at the 1 or 2 levels as I have more focus on aerobics as I'm all about weight loss, and maintain strength development later.

FYI...I did the bicycle and elliptical this AM (I jog/walk to and from the gym for about 30 mins) - 20 mins bike, 15 mins elliptical. I'm on a tight schedule as I got to get some weights in too. I think I'm going to keep this for this week and begin adding more time to the elliptical and less on the bike next week.

Have a great time with the Elliptical!

Cheers!
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I have your same problem! I have an elliptical at home, and have only been able to do about 5 minutes on it. I just feel totally uncoordinated and can't seem to get the hang of it! Looks like I just need to keep at it and it should get easier........ well, not EASIER, but at least I won't feel like it is going to run out from under me!

Good Luck!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agee with the posters that say you will get the hang of it. I have a PreCor and use it faithfully (unitl we moved into a tiny house, PreCor in garage, 24 degrees out....) Rolling your feet while walking, heel to toe, like someone else said, helps your feet not feel wierd. I used mine pregnant with DS, up until the week he was born, not to mention I am WAY not coordinated, so if I cab do it, trust me, so can you. Hope that helps!