Do a Pit Reset to eliminate B.O. from your life

Options
Sweat is 100% odorless. It's sad to see so many people believe that sweat just naturally stinks and there's nothing they can do about it. Sure based on your diet, medications, or just your personal chemistry it's possible to excrete chemicals or toxins that do smell, but the vast majority of sweat on the vast majority of people should be completely odorless if your skin is in good shape, clean and not serving as a bacteria farm.

A good deodorant has it's place, but if it's not totally working for you (totally being zero smell) and you're eating clean, try what I like to call a "pit reset". It's a little remedy I came up with after a lot of trial and error because I knew there was no scientific or medical reason to accept pit stink as normal.

Splash some hydrogen peroxide on those pits when you step into the shower and then do your hair or something and then come back and soap and wash, etc. If that doesn't reset you to absolute zero smell, mix some baking powder (like a tsp) with a quarter cup warm water and splash that on there at the beginning of your shower and let it sit for a few minutes while you do your hair or something else before you do a regular soap and rinse. Do it every day for a week if you have to but you *can* reset your pits to pristine condition and enjoy sweating all you want without the stink!

Do NOT put baking soda dry powder directly on your skin as it WILL burn it and set back your pit resit for several days while it heals up or the redness goes away. But diluted with water (1 tsp baking soda to 1/4 Cup water) it's perfectly safe and is the perfect counter balance to an armpit that has become a bacteria farm. Don't feel bad that this happened to you - it can and does happen to most everyone at one time or another who doesn't spend their entire life on the sofa. The thing to remember is, you can remedy it, you do NOT have to accept it as normal.

Obviously it's important to wash your clothes properly as well. No matter how well you reset your pits to perfect condition, your clothes can "re-infect" you with the bacteria farm. For the most part, that is what causes sweat stink, not the sweat itself. Use the exact same treatment to the armpit area of your clothes as you do on your pits in the shower if they need to be reset to zero also. You can also use a pre-wash product designed for tough stains but do NOT be tempted to use it on your skin as again - it WILL burn you.

Not stinking is a joy. Trust me when I say it - stinking is embarrassing and made me feel "less than" and finding out you DON'T HAVE TO is really a relief, so I hope I've educated at least one person to the joys of stink-free sweat and working out never having to worry about it again is a great reward for - let's face it - very easy little bit of effort. No big cost, nothing you probably don't have in the bathroom cupboard as we speak and you're on your way to the end of pit stink forever.

This is not medical advice - it's just what worked for me. Some people may have sensitivities to hydrogen peroxide on the skin too - best to do a spot test first probably - but diluted both the products I use are marketed as safe to brush your teeth with, so I'd say they're pretty safe for most everyone.

Another product you might add to the try it list is called tea tree oil... this would probably be a good one if your pits don't get a lot of air because there's a lot of skin in the area. This is a gentle natural antimicrobial and it's very soothing as well and I use it for skin irritations in general. If you google the uses of any of the three products mentioned, you can learn a lot more about them than I've included here.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making the world a sweeter smelling place.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Good info, thanks! I know I don't like to stink! lol :)
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Wait, what??
  • larat71
    larat71 Posts: 60
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much!!! I only recently began to smell when I was sweating. My whole life, I have never had a problem with B.O. until now. I was VERY upset about it and have been showering twice a day to try to eliminate it. I'm going to try your remedies...thank you for telling us that we don't HAVE to smell:) I feel better already!
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There are actually three types of sweat glands one that secrets a liquid to cool the body off and is odorless one that is meant to keep your skin hydrated and one that is meant to have a smell to ward of potential preditors. The sweat glands in your arm pits are mostly the later of the two while the sweat glands on your face are mostly the first. These glands are called in no paticular order sebaceous, apocrine, and eccrine glands. Look them up and you will see!
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I reset my Xbox... But it doesnt help my pits