calories burned during strength training

Options
Hello All,

I was wondering how you calculate your calories burned during strength training. I do circuit training with moderate to intense weight. Its about 10 different exercises with 12 reps and 3 sets. Im defnitely sweating and breathing hard. I feel like the database underestimates how many calories you burn while do this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Good luck on your weekend!

Replies

• denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    if your heart rate is up and you mixing some cardio moves in - log it as circuit training under cardio
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM. I finally broke down & bought one & I love it!
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

i agree. i purchased one and i love it!
  • legsfordays
    Options
    Found this calculation on tumblrgym.tumblr.com

While exercising be sure to take your heart rate a couple times. You only need 10 seconds to figure it out. First make sure you have a clock. For ten seconds count how many heart beats you have in that time and then multiply it by 6 to get your beats per min. Take your heart rate a couple times during your exercise and write it down quickly then add those numbers together and divide them by the number of times you took your heart rate to get an idea of your average exercise heart rate. Then follow this formula to figure out how many calories you burned.

First divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to convert to kilograms.

_________÷ 2.2 = _________kg

For women multiply your average heart rate during exercise by 0.4472 your weight by 0.1263 and your age by 0.074

_________ beats/min x 0.4472 = A

_________kg x 0.1263 = B

_________years x 0.074 = C

For men multiply your average heart rate by 0.6309 your weight by 0.1988 and your age by 0.2017.

_________ beats/min x 0.6309 = A

_________kg x 0.1988 = B

_________years x 0.2017 = C

Add A + C - B = D

_________ + _________ - _________ = D

Subtract 20.4022 from D and then divide by 4.184 to get the total calories burned per min

( _________ - 20.4022 ) ÷ 4.184 = Calories burned /min

multiply calories burned per min by the number of mins you exercised.

_________cals/min x _________ mins = total amount of calories burned
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful comments!
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options

i agree. i purchased one and i love it!

My HRM shows the calories burned during my weight circuits to be equal or actually more than my cardio workout. A HRM seems to be the way to go.