4lbs on in 4 days??

Options
Okay, before anyone starts, I know I shouldn't weigh myself several times a week but it's how I keep myself in check. I weighed myself on Tuesday and was 201lbs (2lb loss from the week before) but yesterday I weighed myself and weighed in at 204! Depressed, I put it down to water retention and worked my *kitten* off and went under my cals (as always) and managed to weigh 205 today.

I keep hearing water retention etc etc, but it can't put on 4lbs in 4 days can it???? It's hard to be rational and not stress about it but this is really getting me down! Since I started on this journey on July 26th I've never had a weight increase so I don't understand how it can just happen like this!

Replies

• paravision
    Options
    Okay, before anyone starts, I know I shouldn't weigh myself several times a week but it's how I keep myself in check. I weighed myself on Tuesday and was 201lbs (2lb loss from the week before) but yesterday I weighed myself and weighed in at 204! Depressed, I put it down to water retention and worked my *kitten* off and went under my cals (as always) and managed to weigh 205 today.

I keep hearing water retention etc etc, but it can't put on 4lbs in 4 days can it???? It's hard to be rational and not stress about it but this is really getting me down! Since I started on this journey on July 26th I've never had a weight increase so I don't understand how it can just happen like this!

Oh yeah! lol its the sodium. I lost 3 in one day and 2 the next. I had too much sodium in my diet <3
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day? wearing the same clothes? have you eaten anything before you weigh yourself? Or just did a work out!

Or using a different scale (my friend does this and gets upset cause she gains/loses from one scale to the next)
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have gained 6 lbs over night and it was gone in a few days!! Also if your not eating enough your body will hold on to the fat and not release it!!
  • paravision
    Options

Oh yeah! lol its the sodium. I lost 3 in one day and 2 the next. I had too much sodium in my diet <3

I should say thats just me. It ispossible... Dont freek out just let it even out. It will be ok. I hate when this happens to me. It makes me feel like all my work is for nothing but remember you can gain from adding muscle with workouts so gaining isnt always bad:o)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If I can lose 7 lbs in one day in water weight, you can easily hold on to 4 lbs of water. A gallon of water is about 8.6 lbs. Also, really think about, do you really believe you ate enough calories in surplus to gain 4 lbs. that quickly?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

I should say thats just me. It ispossible... Dont freek out just let it even out. It will be ok. I hate when this happens to me. It makes me feel like all my work is for nothing but remember you can gain from adding muscle with workouts so gaining isnt always bad:o)

I wish it was that easy to gain muscle that quickly but it's not.
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    I know feeling. I gained 4 lbs in one weekend and I thought that I was doing good. but I was eating some food that had more sodium than I realized. Also when you are so close to onderland, the stress of wanting it so bad had me weighing heavy too. Relax and keep up the good work. It will come as long as you are eating healthy and working out, the numbers are just that! Only numbers.
  • lmmadison
    Options
    BEWARE THE SODIUM MONSTER! Sounds like water! Ask your doc if you are healthy enough for Lasix, if you take it every three days or so it will eliminate extra water, or drink a gal of water to flush your body : ) Focusing on body measurements vs. only weight will keep you motivated.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sodium, drinking alcohol, too much caffiene - they all increase water retention. Just drink a TON of water and it will be gone in a few days.

Another possibility is TOM. If it's the week before you period you can gain quite a bit in water weight.
  • paravision
    Options
    Trying to be positive :o)
  • paravision
    Options
    Trying to be positive :o)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay, ignore the weigh in day facists, you do what works for you. I weigh every day of the week and have done so since I started this journey a year and a half ago. You know what I learned? Weight fluctuates from day to day for a multitude of reasons. If you pick one day a week to weigh in, you only have a one-in-seven chance of seeing what your weight is this week. You weigh in on Saturday? What if you hit an all time low on Thursday, and then water gain cause you had a taco salad on Friday? On no! I gained this week! No, you didn't!

Do what works for you. If people pound you for weighing in, that's not the support you need. Shine it on and do what works for you.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do weigh myself in the morning before breakfast and just in my knickers!!:tongue: I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's water and keep drinking a tonne of it to flush it out. I know it makes no sense that I could have put the weight on at all but it's hard to ignore! Hearing that it's happened to a few of you before makes me feel better!! :smile: