Warrior Dash strength training advice please

Options
Morning! It *looks* she says hopefully - as if I have kept my shin splints in check so far and would like to apply for the Warrior Dash in London next year soon. Doing C25K outside 3 times a week down the seafront, but thinking I ought to start looking at the strength training. Problem for me is time, I can realistically commit to the strength training twice a week only - I'm already up early for a bike to work and work late often so I'd need to say 2 sessions except for when I get closer and then I'll make myself do 3!

My question is - how best to split it? I haven't heard of half of this stuff yet (that's ok I can YouTube that) but what's your opinions on how to address this lot? I have access to a gym also:

Home:

Pushups
Jumprope
Squat
V-sit
Supermans
Chair dips
Lunges
Stair run
Glute Bridge
Bicycle
Diamond Pushup
Double leg hop
Reverse lunge
Straight leg flutters
side crunch
Stair run with hands
Side lunge
Run in place
Spiders
Side crunch
Feet on chair with pushups
stair run
Lunge jumps
Wipers
Chair step ups
Jump rope
45 lunge
Burpee
Glute bridge
Russian twist

Gym:

Leg press
DB bench press
Pulldown
Leg curl
Plate crunch
DB step ups
Bicep curl
DB front raise
Squat jumps
V-sit off bench
DB lunges
DB Military press
DB row
Leg curl
Russian twist
Lateral lunge
Bench dips
DB Lateral raise
Calf raise
Straight leg raises
Body Weight squat
DB incline press
DB upright row
Glute bridge
Wipers
Reverse Lunge
Pushups
Superman
Bicep curl
Rev crunch/knee to chest

Thank you!!

Replies

• Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You could break it up into upper body one day and lower body on the other. I try to do exercises that work large groups of muscles. You could do push/pull exercises for the upper body, for ex do pushups and then pulldowns. I think most of the obstacles will use your upper body so concentrate on chest, back, and arms. When I exercise legs I usually just do leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises. Squats are great, I just don't like them. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Vanessa are you really gonna do this? I looked into this before and I really want to do this too!!! We could train together via MFP and do it together in London!!! What do u think!!!
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Vanessa are you really gonna do this? I looked into this before and I really want to do this too!!! We could train together via MFP and do it together in London!!! What do u think!!!
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ooh what's the warrior dash?
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Ooh what's the warrior dash?

Here you go! Looks like it'll be a nightmare for a huffy puffy old lady like me but a good laugh too :-) http://warriordash.com/register2012_london.php
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You could break it up into upper body one day and lower body on the other. I try to do exercises that work large groups of muscles. You could do push/pull exercises for the upper body, for ex do pushups and then pulldowns. I think most of the obstacles will use your upper body so concentrate on chest, back, and arms. When I exercise legs I usually just do leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises. Squats are great, I just don't like them. Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll have a bit of time tomorrow breaking them up into what exercise does what, and I'll be on my way then. :-)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So I'm completely obsessed with Warrior Dash at the moment, haha! One of my friends just completed one in Missouri, USA this weekend, and I REALLY want to do one next summer! I'm also working on C25K right now. I have just started weight training last week. For now, I'm only doing weights 2 days per week as well.

For upper body, I am focusing on biceps, triceps and shoulders on Tuesdays and chest and back on Thursdays. I work legs both days. There are about 6 months until the race I'm looking at, so I am hoping I will be able to really increase my upper-body strength by then. My arm as WEAK! And some of the obsticals look like they really require arms :)

Good luck to you!!