Perhaps a NSV and bugger at the same time!?

Options
RAFValentina
RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
So today I went to try on this GORGEOUS faux fur gilet my parents got me for Christmas last year. Now whereas I weighed less last year when I was bought it and wore it, it pretty much fit me, Maybe a tad on the big size.

Because I thought it would look fab out in this weather today, I thought I'd try it on. Only to find that it is 'MUNGUS on me! I don't think I can make it look right on me! It's a UK medium.... And usually I would opt for a medium as it usually represents a size 12....

Here's the very strange bit... I'm 9 lbs heavier (11st 4lbs- 158lbs)than when it fit last year (I was 10st 9lbs - 149lbs) ... muscle gain with some water retention? Probably? I feel pretty thin today! :)

Thoughts?!

Valentina

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Muscle weight > fat weight. If you've put on a decent amount of muscle in the last year, you will be thinner, but heavier (in the literal sense).

I remember back when I was in grade school, I start riding my bike to and from school everyday. It was a 45 minute bike ride, and I lived ontop of the second largest hill in the area. The school was in the valley.

I got super thin, and got into great shape - but in a period of 3 months, I put on about 10 lbs. I even lost almost all my tummy fat (I was a lazy kid). That weight was pure muscle.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Cheers for that... I definitely have lost quite a bit of "flab" - the scales haven't move dmuch but my activity levels have gone UP UP UP! As has the intesnsity and adversity (was skiing at the start of the year, Been mountain biking a few times, climbing lots, klettersteig, canoeing and then LOTS of endurance running!) :) Ahh well it's healthy weight to have on I suppose! :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I find this too, when I was in college I was a size 16 when I was 70 kg's (which is about 12kgs/24lbs lighter than I am now) but now I am 82kg's and can fit into either 12/14 depending on the brand.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    That's slightly different though... I'm talking about a piece of clothing that has remained constant... I'm scared of this vanity sizing thing where I can get in to a 10 or 12 (UK size) of different brands which leads to confusion on your body state/make-up. :)
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down. You are killing it and manufacturers make inconsistent sizes especially for women! I bought clothes in the UK two years ago and the sizes I had to be buy and how they fit were very different than I expected. You are educated about this and know your composition. Your abs are ripped up and you are lean plus your endurance is out of sight. Your run times are great too. Whatever you weigh to do those things is what you weigh. Ya digg?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!