Losing weight after 50

Options
2»

Replies

• celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,

If I did it, you can do it too! I a, 57 and had a total hip replacement in 5/10. After my surgery, I weighed 182 lbs. The surgery was my motivation to lose the excess weight, partly to avoid needing a second hip replacement. So almost one year ago, I set out to
    become fit. Here I am a year later, and 31 lbs. lighter. I feel wonderful. No aches or pains, much more energy, and I am a size 8 or 10, depending. I lost about 1 lb/week in the beginning doing a high intensity interval training program, with an elliptical trainer. I work out 3 times/week for an hour. Friend me and you can check out my before and after photos. I would be happy to support you.
  • jdos1
    jdos1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you...your words are instructional and encouraging.
  • qofsheba
    Options
    Still struggling to get on track. Finally lost .5 last week but sure I gained it back this weekend.

Ordered Wii Fit Zoomba to add something new to my routine. I think at my age (61) the key is keeping the calorie at 1200, drinking 8 glasses of water each day, and keeping the ratios (protein to carbs etc) in order. Exercise helps my head, and will push the weight a bit. But I had best weeks with lighter exercise...not sure what that means.

Thought I'd hit 182 by end of October but now I'd be very grateful to hit 185 or 186 or under 190.....

I told myself if I just lost 25 lbs a year, I'd be at goal before my 65th birhday---which was my goal. Now I'm "changing my expectation" .... which is always where i go before I quit. I have to remember that losing anything each year is better than continuing to gain.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Still struggling to get on track. Finally lost .5 last week but sure I gained it back this weekend.

Ordered Wii Fit Zoomba to add something new to my routine. I think at my age (61) the key is keeping the calorie at 1200, drinking 8 glasses of water each day, and keeping the ratios (protein to carbs etc) in order. Exercise helps my head, and will push the weight a bit. But I had best weeks with lighter exercise...not sure what that means.

Thought I'd hit 182 by end of October but now I'd be very grateful to hit 185 or 186 or under 190.....

I told myself if I just lost 25 lbs a year, I'd be at goal before my 65th birhday---which was my goal. Now I'm "changing my expectation" .... which is always where i go before I quit. I have to remember that losing anything each year is better than continuing to gain.

I didn't know there was a WiFit Zumba! I'll have to put that on my Santa list.