How to prevent always going over my sugar goals!

Options
I'm finding myself going over my sugar allowance - what kind of substitutes can I make?
I have an undeniable sweet tooth... but I never add sugar to anything, and I rarely drink anything but water (apart from today when I had a naughty breakfast of nutella on toast and orange juice!) How do you keep your sugar intake down?

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to really cut your sugar, splenda is what I like to use.
    I have to keep my sugars extremely low, so my Dr. made me cut out a lot.
    no fruit
    no root vegetables
    no dairy
    no tomatoes
    no onions!
    no flour-based products (often has sugar added, like breads)
    i am not saying it is a good idea for everyone, many people do not want to cut entire food groups. But maybe take a look at your past diaries and see if you may be having several of these items that so innocently and quickly add up, and just reduce the frequency a little.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    honestly, I stopped watching my sugar, I just keep an eye on carbs and usually when I have gone over there it's because I have had too much sugar that day. If you eat fruit it's nearly impossible to stay under on sugar.
  • andrialindsay
    Options
    I raised my sugar to 60 grams per day.. that being said I typically get my highest sugar from my fruits and veggies. I am staying away from processed foods and "bad carbs" Getting sugar from fruits and such does not bother me, what would bother me would be going over my sugars from breads, baked good, packaged foods etc. I use flavored stevia to sweeten my coffee and such.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay under a certain sugar amount for your own reasons? Or does it just bother you seeing the number in the red? If its the first, I don't know what to tell you because I don't watch that number. If its the 2nd, you can go into your diary settings and select what macros you want to track. I track protein fat and carbs....not sure why though, I'm usually always over on carbs and fat, but oh well. As long as my calories are in check,that's all that matters to me.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    no fruit
    no root vegetables
    no dairy
    no tomatoes
    no onions!
    i am not saying it is a good idea for everyone, many people do not want to cut entire food groups. But maybe take a look at your past diaries and see if you may be having several of these items that so innocently and quickly add up, and just reduce the frequency a little.

I STILL eat lots of onions , i just keep other things real low to make up for it.

no on is taking away my onio s
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I upped my sugar in line with the Diabetic's association's recommendations. I make sure whatever sugars I eat are in Low GI foods so even if I do go over I'm not worried about how that sugar will burn.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    no fruit
    no root vegetables
    no dairy
    no tomatoes
    no onions!

Oh man that's like a list of my favourite foods!! Thanks though, I didn't even think about sugars in root vegetables and dairy!
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay under a certain sugar amount for your own reasons? Or does it just bother you seeing the number in the red? If its the first, I don't know what to tell you because I don't watch that number. If its the 2nd, you can go into your diary settings and select what macros you want to track. I track protein fat and carbs....not sure why though, I'm usually always over on carbs and fat, but oh well. As long as my calories are in check,that's all that matters to me.

I think it is just seeing the number in red that bothers me... especially as I don't really understand how much sugar I really can have a day! I didn't even know you could change what you track, thank you :)