What to have with my steak? ideas please!

2»

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    I love steak and salad, to split the difference with the low gi camp I say a baked sweet potato and large salad or grilled veggies. Not a big peas fan....
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Take your unbaked potato, cut it into small cubes or slices, cut up some oinon, green pepper and tomato and cook all of these in a pan, using a spatula to turn over often, with about half a tablespoon of olive oil for canola oil until potatoes are soft and, if you prefer, a little browned. Yummy! one of my favorites. About 120 - 150 calories, depending on the size of the potato ... And don't get carried away with the oil. You can also toss in some season salt for extra flavor.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    It really depends on how your workout is going over the past week. If you have been working out pretty well, I'd say the carbs are fine but if you've been kind of slack on working out then you can always enjoy your steak with whatever you'd like. This week we have company from out of town and yesterday I had a cheeseburger with fries then went to an ice cream shop and had a bowl of ice cream. That morning I did a high impact aerobic class for an hour so I burned a ton of calories before that so I could afford to eat a little(a lot) more. Main thing here is if you decide to eat then eat but don't make that your habit.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    I've exercised 5 times this week....and going tomorrow too...each workout has been 1-2 hours long...surely i can allow myself carbs?
  • If you are craving a potato, have it. If I am craving something and try to deny it, I wind up eating the alternative and the thing I was craving in the first place. So bake a potato if you want one and don't got crazy slathering it with butter or sour cream and you'll be ok.
  • DizzyLinds
    No, never have butter or sour cream on anything anyway! May sound gross but because i like my steak quite rare, i'm happy with the juice of that to go with the potato!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Eggs

And for a the Carb craving either pancakes or raisin toast.....

I'm a bad influence sorry lol!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    My go to sides with steak at home are steamed broccoli and Bush's Grillin beans (the black bean one, can't remember the name). It's my standard 15 minute dinner when I want steak:)
  • DizzyLinds
    You know what, people in the US have some really different ways of having steak! I noticed this even when i was on holiday there...people having it for breakfast, with sweet sides etc.. It seems so different here in the UK!
  • DizzyLinds
    Just an update...going to have fine green beans, spinach, butternut sqaush and delicious risotto filled mushrooms from marks & spencer (UK peeps you know these will be good!).

Wish me luck!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    If it fits into your calories have carbs! But yeah, I generally skip carbs when having steak because the steak is so high in calories there is little room for carbs.
  • DizzyLinds
    It was bloody amazing!!!! Even thought the mushrooms had a tiny bit of risotto in them it was only 12 grams of carbs! I've got two leftover to have next week!!! they'd even make a great snack!
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Salsa - I add it to anything I am getting bored of, I also like the idea of onion and peppers, but another favourite of mine is mushrooms, any sort, grill the big ones, saute the smaller ones (or sliced up big ones!)
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Steak with: Steamed Spinach, with a tiny bit of butter, and a small sweet potato ! YUM !!!!!!!!
    Protein, Greens, fat, carbs
    :)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Hi!

Deciding to have a nice piee of sirloin steak tonight for dinner...i've eaten poultry all week and need a red meat fix! Trying to decide what to have with it though...i was thinking possibly baked potato and peas...not sure what else to do to jazz it up!> Ideas anyone?!

What about grilled squash, zucchini and carrots? And a baked sweet potato. Yum!