Mental Illness..

Options

Replies

• kirakaydawn
    Options
    i have so much trouble sleeping until about 4 nights ago my mate suggested I get this App and so I did..

Its 20 minute of this guy talking and I literally fall asleep after like 10 minutes lol

Whats MPD and how does it affect you?

I have things we call clicks basically it means I have no idea whats going on but I function normally..
    sometimes I do htings a lil crazy like the other day I had a click and when I became"Me" again I was sitting across the road in a paddock in the rain..

Other times I will go about my business normal and then just have to get reminded things happen..

I talk differently during a click I pronounce things wrong *which anyone who knows me knows I hate cause speech is something I hate when people do wrong*

and I have trouble sleeping..

sometimes I will go to sleep for an hour and wake up thinking I have slept for 8 or more hours and will have NO luck at all going back to sleep..

We call my Alter Sarah.. She's a b*tch tells it like it is..
    It's almost like that voice in your head that wants to say all this stuff..

basically my voice builds up until I have a click.. then everyone gets to know what I think..

These days I try to not hold it in cause clicks suck some last a few hours other times its minutes..

That must be really hard to manage. :( And your Alter has the same name as me!
    Just remember you're really not alone, there are a lot of us out here with mental illnesses. You're not 'crazy', and it's not your fault.

It sucks more when my bf is around when it happens he doesnt understand it at all and just makes jokes..
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    lol 'just' depression.
    I have depression, PTSD, generalized anxiety, and probably OCD and EDnos too.
    Fyi depression is pretty 'serious'. Lots of people die from it. Doesn't get much more serious than that.

I didn't mean that it wasn't serious.. I have depression..
    I just more meant a lil more non discussed.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to come off as catty as it did.
    Sadly, as much as depression is discussed people still don't seem to understand it so I can only imagine how hard it is to try to explain MPD to people, or get people to understand. >.<
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

ETA: I wish the general public was more understanding of people who do have mental illness though, I hate the word "crazy"

I'm with you on that one... and the word retard!!! Drives me up the wall!!!!!!!!

Yes, I hate that word, too! Especially when people say, "that's retarded" and I hate when people say gay in that way, too!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    lol 'just' depression.
    Fyi depression is pretty 'serious'. Lots of people die from it. Doesn't get much more serious than that.
    I could be wrong but I don't think the OP was minimizing depression, just talking about things that were different. I think she meant that nowdays tons of people have depression and she wanted to know if she was alone in having something different on the mental illness scale. Something more taboo than depression.
    Depression does suck. I suffer from PPD-got worse and earlier with each pregnancy/baby. Currently I am on Prozac (since I weaned the baby) and am trying to lose the weight that Zoloft helped me gain. :/ (helped, not caused) Some days those meds are my lifeline!!!!!! There is nothing "just" about any level of depression, I think it was more about qualifying than quantifying though.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I have Bi-polar, PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD and have been hospitalised a number of times for psychosis.

Its a living nightmare and then I go and add trying to loose weight to the mix lol.

I have been hospitalized SOOOOOOO many times..
    It is ridiculous..

And yes losing weight on top of it all is crazy specially when your on medication and your dr is like you HAVE to take these oh and it may cause weight gain...

I was on this one lot of antipsychotics and I went from 87Kg's to like 148kg..
    After swapping to a different tablet in march I am now down to 113kg..

I'm hoping if I lose weight I will be able to take less medication.. But I'm not sure how that works really..
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I have anxiety disorder. And I teach Dual Diagnosis children - mental health with social/emotional/behavioural issues and developmentally delays. Our days are very stressful, but when the kids learn I've got my own issues we accept and learn to appreciate our differences rather than focus on our own problems.

My best advise, as I've seen it from both sides, is forging relationships with your healthcare professionals. If they don't want to know you, not just your problems, they aren't interested in treating the whole person, just the symptoms. Search for quality of life, not just "normalization."

...and I think it is more acceptable to say "I'm having issues." and seek help before we end up in long term care facilities.

Blessings to all.

I am very close to my dr's I am on first name basis with my main dr Charlie.. He is AMAZING I can call or text him anytime I need him.. It's very helpful
  • Umeboshi
    Options

It sucks more when my bf is around when it happens he doesnt understand it at all and just makes jokes..

Oh no. That must be awful. :( Maybe try to find an article that explains it and show that to him. Sometimes it's easier to have someone read something than to try to explain it to them yourself.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    lol 'just' depression.

I didn't mean that it wasn't serious.. I have depression..
    I just more meant a lil more non discussed.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to come off as catty as it did.
    Sadly, as much as depression is discussed people still don't seem to understand it so I can only imagine how hard it is to try to explain MPD to people, or get people to understand. >.<

Thats ok, I didn't see it as catty
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

Oh no. That must be awful. :( Maybe try to find an article that explains it and show that to him. Sometimes it's easier to have someone read something than to try to explain it to them yourself.

Yeah I tried all that.. I think him making jokes is his way of coping without freaking out that his gf does things a lil differently sometimes..
  • paravision
    Options
    i have so much trouble sleeping until about 4 nights ago my mate suggested I get this App and so I did..

Its 20 minute of this guy talking and I literally fall asleep after like 10 minutes lol

Whats MPD and how does it affect you?

I have things we call clicks basically it means I have no idea whats going on but I function normally..
    sometimes I do htings a lil crazy like the other day I had a click and when I became"Me" again I was sitting across the road in a paddock in the rain..

Other times I will go about my business normal and then just have to get reminded things happen..

I talk differently during a click I pronounce things wrong *which anyone who knows me knows I hate cause speech is something I hate when people do wrong*

and I have trouble sleeping..

sometimes I will go to sleep for an hour and wake up thinking I have slept for 8 or more hours and will have NO luck at all going back to sleep..

We call my Alter Sarah.. She's a b*tch tells it like it is..
    It's almost like that voice in your head that wants to say all this stuff..

basically my voice builds up until I have a click.. then everyone gets to know what I think..

These days I try to not hold it in cause clicks suck some last a few hours other times its minutes..

Well don't feel bad. I do that :OP
  • LolaOndine
    Options
    I'm not sure where the standard for "normal" came in at, I think we're all a little nutty which is normal. We all get depressed it's just a problem when it controls your life and you can't function. But what is functioning? lol, okay I'm just teasing now, but seriously, no-one is completely normal

We don't all get *clinically* depressed. I'm not trying to take away from OP because I get what she is saying but I just wanted to jump in to say there is a difference between "my boyfriend broke up with me, I'm so depressed" and "I can't see the point of living. Let me just grab the baby and jump out this window. That will be better for everyone."

Everyone has down times and they may say they are depressed, but that does a disservice to people who are clinically depressed.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Yeah I tried all that.. I think him making jokes is his way of coping without freaking out that his gf does things a lil differently sometimes..

I guess that makes sense, as long as he's not malicious about the jokes.. Make sure to say something to him if it's hurtful to you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am trying my best to recover from depression, anxiety, PTSD and schizophrenia...
    Not sure if the last one will ever fully go away though, as I refuse to take meds.
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

I guess that makes sense, as long as he's not malicious about the jokes.. Make sure to say something to him if it's hurtful to you.

No its more along the lines of "Ok sarah" If I say something to him..
    his my first "bf" haha I normally date chicks so it's a whole new world of getting use to things for both of us
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I am trying my best to recover from depression, anxiety and schizophrenia...
    Not sure if the last one will ever fully go away though, as I refuse to take meds.

Is it born with schizophrenia or trauma schizophrenia if you dnt mind me asking...
  • kirakaydawn
    Options
    I'm not sure where the standard for "normal" came in at, I think we're all a little nutty which is normal. We all get depressed it's just a problem when it controls your life and you can't function. But what is functioning? lol, okay I'm just teasing now, but seriously, no-one is completely normal

We don't all get *clinically* depressed. I'm not trying to take away from OP because I get what she is saying but I just wanted to jump in to say there is a difference between "my boyfriend broke up with me, I'm so depressed" and "I can't see the point of living. Let me just grab the baby and jump out this window. That will be better for everyone."

Everyone has down times and they may say they are depressed, but that does a disservice to people who are clinically depressed.

I deff meant jump in front of a bus depressed over, I broke a nail depressed..
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Is it born with schizophrenia or trauma schizophrenia if you dnt mind me asking...

Born with...
  • kirakaydawn
    Options

Born with...

Any reason your not medicating?
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    As many have told you, so are definitely not alone.

I was diagnosed with dysthymia years ago (one of the many types of depression) and Avoidant Personality Disorder about 2 years ago.

I was also misdiagnosed many, many times, and I really don't know how I feel about the current labels. I am trying to work up the nerve to take my boss up on his offer to run some tests (he's a clinical Psychologist, and has some theories that he thinks the MMPI-II will confirm, if and when I am willing)

As a teen I was told I had Borderline Personality Disorder (by a quack who panicked when faced with a child who self-harmed) then OCD, then Anti-social personality disorder, then a military shrink said I had dependent personality disorder.

I have been diagnosed and re-diagnosed so many times I'm not sure WHAT is exactly wrong, just that I am, apparently, "not right" :huh:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Until I was diagnosed with severe GAD, I always thought that anxiety and depression and bipolar disorder were just people that didn't know how to deal with things. Now that I have been diagnosed and understand the actual physical day-to-day struggles (dizziness, heart palpitations, etc.) I understand it. I personally think I have a lot of obsessive/compulsive tendencies, but have never been diagnosed. I guess they kind of come with the territory though.
This discussion has been closed.