The forever mirerepresented first law of thermodynamics in d

Options
2»

Replies

• oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Look Kaveman I dont give a flying **** about the technical side of things, I am just here to lose weight and stop being a "fat *kitten*" so I can at the age of 50 pull loads of women, drive around in fast cars and kick sand in peoples faces on the beach..........lol.

I must be stupid, but without using all the technical jargon can you put it into laymans terms what you are talking about...

As far as I am concerned if I eat healthly, exercise 4-5 times a week and dont pig out I should lose weight shouldnt I !
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'll keep listening to Lyle McDonald: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Thanks.

(ps: from the introductory section of the article: Recently on the Internet, a common meme is that the application of thermodynamics to the human body is incorrect. This usually comes out of people talking about something that they clearly do not understand in any way shape or form which is the energy balance equation. This is usually used as a lead in to the idea that the “Calorie theory of weight gain and weight loss” is incorrect or what have you. This leads to even more abjectly stupid ideas that I’m not getting into here."

Well, like yeah.)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I just saw this on your blog:
    Other factors, fat cannot cross into adipose tissue without carbs. It cannot happen. So if you ate ONLY fat and protein, and no carbs, you would never EVER increase your body fat stores no matter how many calories you ate.

You really are clueless.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

^ That weightology study is awesome btw. Anyone reading this, please check that thing out. Really solid info.
  • Gauntlettes
    Options
    Bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is often forgotten, OFTEN, is that this application of the law applies ONLY to closed loop systems.

So where are the "in" and "out" coming from and going to ?

You can apply any thermodynamic concept to any system as long as you define it properly. Draw your system boundary, define the ins and outs that cross it, and calculate away.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if "a calorie is not a calorie", please explain the results of the twinkie study.

On 1200 calories of only twinkies, the author lost weight, improved his health, and generally proved that the "quality" of calories is pretty irrelevant.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree that we often oversimplify the anabolic and catabolic processes found in our bodies. However, if we were to have to factor in every detalied physiologic process down to the kreb cycle, the amount of data needed to figure out and fully represent each calorie would be too daunting. And yes, a few calories actually just travel from one end of our digestive system to the other without it ever being utilized by our bodies, but that is not the 'norm', as our bodies are very adept at utilizing the foods we provide it.

In addition, you could state that the human body is an open loop system, but then to find it a part of a closed loop system, all you'd have to do is travel far out into space and look at the solar system from a few light years away. At that point, we are a closed loop system (minus the bits of energy leaving our system from the sun), so it's all in a matter of perspective.

I did enjoy the lecture though.