Can't figure out WHAT I am I doing wrong!!!

Options
I just need to VENT please!!

I just can't seem to lose any weight lately......and when I do lose it is sooooo slow!! I work out consistently 3-4 days a week at the gym doing anywhere from 45-60 minutes of cardio, and about 30-50 minutes of weight lifting. I stay under my calories most days. I see my other MFP buddies consistently losing 1-2 lbs a week doing the same thing and some people are just dropping like crazy!! I don't know what I am doing wrong that I can't seem to lose the anything. Right now I have vacillating between the same two pounds for several weeks......up and down, up and down, up and down!! It is so FRUSTRATING and I DON'T want to get so frustrated that I just GIVE up!! I was up 2 pounds last week and worked really hard and got back down this week and then when I got on the scale this morning to weigh in I was back up those 2 pounds!!! So no loss again this week.......that is two weeks now that I can't log in a loss!! This is not the first time this has happened either.......so again......I just don't know what I need to be doing different!!

Don't get me wrong....I am proud of what I have already accomplished but this is really starting to get me down!! I just feel like with all that I been doing I should be seeing a little more progress!!

Thanks for listening to me whine!! :cry:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I just need to VENT please!!

I just can't seem to lose any weight lately......and when I do lose it is sooooo slow!! I work out consistently 3-4 days a week at the gym doing anywhere from 45-60 minutes of cardio, and about 30-50 minutes of weight lifting. I stay under my calories most days. I see my other MFP buddies consistently losing 1-2 lbs a week doing the same thing and some people are just dropping like crazy!! I don't know what I am doing wrong that I can't seem to lose the anything. Right now I have vacillating between the same two pounds for several weeks......up and down, up and down, up and down!! It is so FRUSTRATING and I DON'T want to get so frustrated that I just GIVE up!! I was up 2 pounds last week and worked really hard and got back down this week and then when I got on the scale this morning to weigh in I was back up those 2 pounds!!! So no loss again this week.......that is two weeks now that I can't log in a loss!! This is not the first time this has happened either.......so again......I just don't know what I need to be doing different!!

Don't get me wrong....I am proud of what I have already accomplished but this is really starting to get me down!! I just feel like with all that I been doing I should be seeing a little more progress!!

Thanks for listening to me whine!! :cry:
    Make sure you're lifting first then cardio. Lift HEAVY. Force you metabolic rate to go up! If you haven't changed your exercise routine in 2 months, then it's time to change it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont go under your goal, hit your goal, and make sure you are NETTING your goal, or at the very least 1200 cals.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? If you are doing lots of exercise you might be seeing inch loss, even if the weight isn't moving just at the moment.

Maybe try something a bit different at the gym - different machines, some interval training, or a different exercise class. Just something to try and jump start your body.

On the eating, making sure you are drinking enough water, measuring everything properly and logging EVERYTHING you eat. You can obviously do this as you have achieved so much already - so it will turn the corner and start losing again.

GOOD LUCK
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If your diary was public we may be able to provide some insight. Update your settings again. Since you've lost more than 10lbs. your calorie limit has changed.
  • ScarletKuriboh
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking all your water. Being even slightly dehydrated will make your metabolism drop.

As for exercise, switch it up. Try different activities. I usually make one day a week a go-hard-or-go-home day, then go a little easier the next day.

Best of luck. I hope you can get back on track.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've heard drinking anywhere from 3 to 4 cups of Green tea daily helps increase metabolism.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're lifting first then cardio. Lift HEAVY. Force you metabolic rate to go up! If you haven't changed your exercise routine in 2 months, then it's time to change it!

Great advice.

How "hard" is your weight lifting routine? Are you using heavy enough weights? Don't forget failure is good in lifting! You WANT to be at your end when you hit 10-12 reps.

I do cardio and weights too. I don't see fast weight loss either. But I do have major changes. The scale isn't the only story teller. Don't let the scale dictate your success. It's just as important to use measurements too. And even those can tell a different story. My arms went UP at first, then went down. Then they looked thinner, but measured the same. But changes were still happening.

Maybe your diet need a switchup? Calories are not equal. For example packaged snacks aren't as good as fresh fruit even though the calories may be the same. But what's going to be better used by the body?

We all get frustrated at times. Just hang in there! Nobody said it was going to be easy, but it is worth it!
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am at the same palce you are up down, up down but not really going anywhere to speak of. It sucks when I try so hard. Do you eat your workout calories because most of the time I don't. Maybe that's our problem but I can't see eating those calories when that is the whole point of working out, to burn them??? Keep me posted maybe we can figure this out together!
  • badelia18
    badelia18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    as one person said, check your inches...you may be building muscle, which is heavier than fat. so there may not be much more to lose, except sizes. whatever it is, don't give up. now that you vented, get back out there, take everyones advice and do what's best for you. You can do this!
  • legsfordays
    Options
    I found that the more you focus on finding results in your body, the less likely you will find them. For 3 months, I was doing everything you were doing and didn't see results, but then I took a picture of myself and compared it to my body from months ago, and I definitely saw a change. Don't stress... your body is probably just trying to adjust to all of this, especially if you are new to exercising that frequently. Also, you could be building muscle from the weight lifting, which weighs more than fat.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories?
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we hit a plateau and we don't loose for a while. Sometimes I play with the same 2 lbs for weeks.Don't give up,you are doing great.Just hang in there
  • badelia18
    badelia18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's great advice, too. I'll have to remember that for myself.
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try setting your weight loss goal to 1lb per week instead of 1.5lbs per week. I know it sounds backwards that eating more calories will help you lose weight but the truth is that our bodies are very good at adapting, and we are biologically trained to maintain a consistent weight. If you have the same net calories day after day (i.e., you're sticking with your diet plan), your body will figure out how to maintain your existing weight on those calories. This is especially true if you don't have that much to lose to get to a healthy for your height.
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my measurements and no real loss for a little while now. Started doing interval training this past week. I don't think I am lifting HEAVY enough though. So I will give this a try and also I have been doing cardio first. So I will try doing my lifting first then cardio. I made my profile public so that my diary is viewable. I have been slipping in pretzels and chips in to my diet lately....even though I am within my calorie limit......this may be having an impact on what I have been doing. I do drink PLENTY of water though......I crave water ALL the time!!

Thanks so much for all of your advice......I am going to try to figure out a solution to this problem and formulate a plan of action!!

You all are AWESOME!! :flowerforyou:
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Eat at least half of your calories and drink your 8 cups preferably more of water. Straight water. Coffee or tea doesn't count. I was at a plateau the same as you at 15lbs of loss the same as you and couldn't lose. I upped my water and started eating a bit more and I breached that plateau right away.
  • MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
    I would try low balling what you are burning during your workouts in case you aren't burning what you think you are.. Try drinking more water too.. I have found when I have had this problem in the past all of a sudden I would have a 3 or 4 lb weight loss that seemed to come out of nowhere. Don't be surprised if this happens to you! Don't be a slave to your scale since it doesn't always measure the success you are really having! Have a great day! God Bless!
  • SewJoe
    SewJoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation. I had not lost a single pound for three, THREE MONTHS. I was exercising three-four times a week consistently. I went to my nutritionist (I see every few months) and he weighed me on his fancy scale and wow! I had gained 4 pounds of lean muscle. My body fat was waaaay down and my metabolism was up a bit. Even my measurements did not reveal my success, but the scale at the doctor's office did. DON'T worry about the loss on the scale, you ARE doing the right thing. Changing up my workout helped tremendously. I did not give up or cave when I didn't lose anything. I am doing this very slowly, sometimes only 1 pound in a few weeks, but it is working. You are not that much overweight according to your CW and goals, so you probably don't have as much water weight as heavier people. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • prunella1066
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories?

No I don't eat all of my exercise calories.....should I? I do eat some of them because I am really hungry on workout days. I do drink protein smoothies but not routinely. May be I really need to try to increase my protein.......I have heard this but haven't incorporated it into my daily routine yet.
  • prunella1066
    Options
    Try setting your weight loss goal to 1lb per week instead of 1.5lbs per week. I know it sounds backwards that eating more calories will help you lose weight but the truth is that our bodies are very good at adapting, and we are biologically trained to maintain a consistent weight. If you have the same net calories day after day (i.e., you're sticking with your diet plan), your body will figure out how to maintain your existing weight on those calories. This is especially true if you don't have that much to lose to get to a healthy for your height.

I will give this a try also!!

Thanks!!