Shirataki Noodles *White Yam*

Options
For those of you who eat these noodles, I picked some up in the store this morning and noticed a new variety, White Yam. According to the package its Gluten Free, Cholesterol Free, Vegan, No Sugar and No Soy.
Nutritional Information:
Servings per pkg: 5
Calories: 0
Fat: 0
Carbs: 1

It's pretty much a "FREE" food item except for the carbs. The package is the same as their Tofu Noodles, except these noodles are clear. Price is the same as the Tofu ones. I'm going to give these a try for lunch.

Replies

• STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I need to seek and find these potentially yummy substitute. Do you find them in normal stores? or Asian stores? I have lots of Asian stores available to me, but I can't read the labels. I must make a shopping trip with my various Asian friends so they can translate for me. =)
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This was in a regular grocery store. I have also seen them in the Asian stores.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just picked some up the other day. My friend eats them all the time because she is on a low carb diet. They smell bad (they are packed in water) but once you rince them they are ok. They are easy to use (just warm them up) and taste pretty ok. They are pretty much a "free" food but a good filler to add to veggies and meat.
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    Anyone know a good way to eat/cook them?? Ugh, I bought a few bags and I just couldn't get past the texture the first time...
  • mrsgoodguy
    Options
    I just made chicken stir fry using the tofu shiratake noodles. I had a HUGE plate of food for 184 cals....YUM
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Don't try to use these noodles in Italian dishes if you have a problem with the taste or texture. Use them in Asian dishes or stir fry's... you won't be able to tell the difference! :)
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    Ok, I'll try again tomorrow with a stir fry...we shall see! I'm really not usually sensitive to different foods either, but the chewiness threw me off.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Try the vermicelli ones. They are smaller and thinner and the texture shouldn't be a problem. But no, don't consider them like a pasta substitute. They are an asian noodle so use them like a glass or rice noodle.