When at parties.

Options
When you go to parties how do you not break a diet? They have all that yummy food especially now that the Holidays are coming up! Whats a girl supposed to do?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I try everything but only a tbls of this and a forkfull of that. That way I get to try everything without killing my diet. Yea you may be over a little but you have to have fun sometimes.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Work your will power muscle. Walk through all the foods and pick 2 that you want the most. Then take one bite of each. That way you get some sweets and aren't depriving yourself. Or you can adjust your calories so you don't go over.
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I usually know in advance so I eat less through the day, and have small samples of each item that I like at the parties.I also keep track of them whether I end up going over or not, at least I'm being honest with myself when the day is done.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Just call it your cheat day and be good the rest of the week.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Eat something filling with protein before you go.

Don't graze!

Try a little of everything, put on a plate and go in another room to sit down and eat.

Load up on veggies from veggie platters.

Drink seltzer in between cocktails.

Don't sit around worrying about everything! Make you rounds, chat up some people. Parties are about good times, not just good food!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me parties are about the company and having a good time with friends. I don't think about food at all and don't even contemplate going over to the food table, and I never ever feel like I'm depriving myself or trying hard to use willpower. Plus, in general it's easier for me to just not start at all, rather than have a bit and then stop.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have most excellent friends who provide the stuff I can eat, just for me...
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    3 choices that has worked for me:

-I try to eat before I go.
    -I take my own food/snack.
    -I try to eat the most heathiest item on the menu.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I enjoy myself. I dont stress or worry about it all. I try a bite of everything.

I also make my fat cry the day before and after.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Going to a banquet/party tonight, as a matter of fact. What I usually do, like some others, is just eat a little bit of everything I want... just a little. That way I can taste most all of the food, fill myself up and not overdo it. I try to have only one mixed drink... something as low cal as I can. But I also want to enjoy myself, so if, for one day... I go over my calories, I'm not going to sweat it. It's not like I do it all the time.

And most importantly, when I get home, I will try and estimate as best I can the calories in everything I ate and log it. No sense in trying to hide it or forget it..... your body knows!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet so there isn't anything to break. ;p

I find now that I am at the point where it's not all about the food. I have some nibbles if something catches my eye but it's never enough to make or break my progress for the week.

ETA: I recently lost 4 lbs on a two week vacation. I did not once deprive myself of something I wanted (yummy summer bbq's) but I ate in moderation and balanced that with exercise and lots of great fruits and veggies.