early wake up to hit the gym

Options
hey everyone.

I wasn't sure where put this, sorry if it should have gone in another category. anywayssss,

I recently went from working straight afternoons which was great, cause I would work out, shower before getting to work, to working days. Which has been nice getting off at 3, but I have not been wanting to hit the gym while the sun is still shining.

I've been debating of the idea of getting up early before work, hitting the gym, showering and heading to work for 7:30.
Figuring Id have to be up at 5 at the latest, and have not been a morning person!!!

Wondering who is doing this? Tried this? Is it something you got use to? Any tips with breakfast? Anything would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I tried. I failed at morning workouts. I just HATE getting up that early. I'm always groggy and tired. I like to relax in the morning with my pre-work routine then get to work. I do my workouts just before bedtime every day instead. It wears me out so I can go to sleep easy.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I admire anyone who can do the really early morning workouts...but it's against my religion to wake up before the sun.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I get up every day a 4:00 am and do a workout, but I'm a morning person.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was getting up at 5 to go work out and by noon I would be so exhausted and would get nothing else done the rest of the day. Now I go about 9 am and that works great! I am a stay at home mom and my gym has childwatch so that gives me a lot more wiggle room for finding time to go. I can't work out at night because it gives me an energy boost so I can't get to sleep, and evenings are full of supper, dishes, baths and getting kids ready for bed.

As for breakfast I always make sure I have SOMETHING before I go workout... even if it's just a granola bar or yogurt or a banana with peanut butter. Otherwise I'll start getting shaky and low on energy. Then within an hour of working out I'll eat something.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I been toying with getting up at 7am to do a workout before work as my social life is getting in the way of evening exercise. :s
    Will see how it goes. Was planning on eating breakfast after. Not sure if this is a good idea.
  • food4thought7
    Options
    I love working out in the morning before work. I may have moaned on my way to the gym but afterwards I felt a bit more energized and proud that it is out of the way. If I save my workouts till after work, that is 8 or more hours worth of excuses and attempts to rationalize why I should not work out. But that's just me! And as for breakfast before workout I like to eat a protein bar or apple and peanut butter. It's quick and easy and its good fuel for the morning workout. Good luck!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I started working out before work maybe a year and a half ago. I love it....get up by 5; eat a quick, smallish carby breakfast; at the gym before 6 and out around 7; eat a second and smaller breakfast with protein (cheese, greek yogurt, or nuts usually); shower and go to work. It took me about 2 weeks to get into the routine and since then, I sleep better and I think my workouts are more effective because I'm never tired when I start them. I'd highly recommend giving this an honest try! Good luck!
  • LifeasTHM
    LifeasTHM Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to be to work by 7 am and so I was thinking about hitting the gym @ 5am ...however I have yet to complete this and just go @ 6:30pm with when I get off work and like the previous person that posted it helps me to go to sleep cause I'm so wore out. HOWEVER, I am wanting to start doing 2hr workouts and so I am going to start next week by going 1hr in the AM before work and then again when I get off work. :) I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I do know for a fact that I use to get up and go for jogs @ 6am and after about a week PLUS going to workout in the evening has made it uber easier to get up in the morning for work :) #wishmeluck
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    hey everyone.

I wasn't sure where put this, sorry if it should have gone in another category. anywayssss,

I recently went from working straight afternoons which was great, cause I would work out, shower before getting to work, to working days. Which has been nice getting off at 3, but I have not been wanting to hit the gym while the sun is still shining.

I've been debating of the idea of getting up early before work, hitting the gym, showering and heading to work for 7:30.
    Figuring Id have to be up at 5 at the latest, and have not been a morning person!!!

Wondering who is doing this? Tried this? Is it something you got use to? Any tips with breakfast? Anything would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    I'm not a morning person but I found it very easy for my 5:30am routine. I took a few weeks off, back to it Tuesday. You can do it. You feel great throughout the day as well.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start going in the mornings. My last kid gets the bus at 8:30, the gym is 7 minutes away and I start work at 10 (from a home office)... should be able to get in any easy 1 hour workout 2x a week (even if just cardio) and another 2 - 3 evenings / weekend hits for strength.... just waiting for the sickness to leave the house. everyother day a kid is home or coming home sick... gotta love back to school germs.
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    I used to leave for work at 5:30, so I'd get up at 4, and ride my exercise bike while I'd watch a tv episode on netflix. I am not a morning person either, so it was hard getting up, but I had a lot more energy throughout the day. If you can get your exercise in in the morning, I'd try it. But remember to adjust your schedule so you are still getting enough sleep too.
  • susanb_16
    susanb_16 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to get up early to hit the gym however I have to be at work so early and already get up at 3:30 to get ready and get to work on time I am not able to. I am however excited this Wed I'll be moving to an office 5 minutes from home instead of 30 minutes from home. Plus I'll be going in an hour later, so I'll be able to get up and workout in the mornings for at least 10 weeks. :happy:
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... will try it this week!