Does veganism aid weightloss?

Options
I've been vegan for about a year, and, although I didn't become vegan for these reason, I had heard that veganism caused weightloss..
I didn't experiance this myself, my weight remained the same, however, I was eating a LOT of food.
Now that I'm controlling my calorieintake I am losing nearly double what I 'should' be. I've set my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week, but instead lose 3, 4, even 5 pounds a week.
Do you think this could be a benefit of having a low fat, vegan, diet?
Has anyone experianced similar things as a vegan? Or the opposite?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Vegan has nothing to do with weight loss. Vegan is a style of eating. Weight loss is consuming less calories than you burn. One has nothing to do with the other. It's just as easy to consume several thousand calories eating Vegan as it is to limit yourself to 1200 calories eating only meat.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    agreed with above post, i was vegan for years and years and i was still fat, i ate well and pretty clean but obviously not the right amount
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I tried being vegan for weight loss reasons, I lasted for 8 months - even over Christmas, which was tough. I didn't lose an ounce. The only thing that changed for me was my smell - I think my internal flora must have been quite unhappy!! Sticking to a balanced diet with lots of exercise is all that works for me!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    chips
    cookies
    ice cream
    soda

those are all vegan foods :):):) so.... although for some it may cause weight loss, it's not a weight loss deal (as you can see from the list above!!) LOL

i would LOVE to someday* become vegan.. but for other reasons :)

wait, ice cream is dairy.. nevermind that one!! HAHAH
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    veganism CAN help with weight loss but restricting anything CAN help with weight loss if it isn't replaced by something else. it makes it easier to have a calorie deficit...in theory. I wouldn't say there's anything about veganism in general though that leads to weight loss.
  • athenawho
    athenawho Posts: 253
    Options
    I am not vegan, but my boyfriend is. His weight (he has told me) fluctuates between 175-220 (he is 5'6" or 5'7")

He takes a lot of vitamins to make sure he gets the nutrition he needs everyday.

He has talked about wanting to get fit since seeing my drastic change, but hasn't started yet.

I am not vegan and my first few weeks were 4-6 lbs lost a week, I slowed down to 1.5-2.8 lbs for a while and now that I've added exercise I'm losing more. This week I've lost about 5.

I don't think that one diet works better than another.

I think it has all to do with your attitude and finding what works for you! As long as you are full, happy, and you don't feel like you are denying yourself anything, then you have found something that works for you :)

Keep up your amazing work :)
  • looklikeaskeleton
    Options
    chips
    cookies
    ice cream
    soda

those are all vegan foods :):):) so.... although for some it may cause weight loss, it's not a weight loss deal (as you can see from the list above!!) LOL

cookies contain eggs. there not vegan.

veganism can help weight loss but it is possible to be vegan and still gain weight. just depends on how much you eat.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, could a vegan consume 160-180 grams of protein without:

1. Using supplements

2. Going insane.

Is it possible?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    chips
    cookies
    ice cream
    soda

cookies contain eggs. there not vegan.

veganism can help weight loss but it is possible to be vegan and still gain weight. just depends on how much you eat.

not always. you can use egg replacer, flax, or even fruit puree for binders.