shape ups

Options
ok has anyone tried the sketchers shape ups? Have they helped? I am thinking of getting a pair but want to make sure it isn't just hype. Thanks.

Replies

• Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair last winter and wore them almost everyday. At the end of about a month or so I didn't notice any improvements fitness or weight wise and had ended up with back pain. I had to go to the chiro to get my back fixed. I don't know whether the shape ups caused the back problems but I'd never suffered from back pain before so I have to assume that the shoes caused at least some of my discomfort.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I love my shape ups I wear them all the time. I dont know if they are toning my legs or not but they have great cushion and support for my feet (I have high arches) so Im able to walk more without leg/foot pain.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Complete and utter rubbish... they've just beeen pinged in the commercial world lately... basically people buy them and start walking more.... they don't do anything special. Invest your money and time in good running shoes instead!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think it's all hype. I have a pair of the flip flops and for the first few days I wore them my calves killed me. After that, I noticed no difference between them and any other flip flops I have. Keep in mind too, that Reebok is having to refund money to everyone who bought their version of the shape ups after a government organization (cant' remember which one) determined their product was a fraud.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,946 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read the responses.
  • Maydalis
    Maydalis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    you should read this article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/09/28/140877140/reebok-agrees-to-refund-25m-to-those-who-purchased-toning-shoes

in particular the paragraph that says:

The nonprofit group compared the benefits of toning shoes from Skechers, Reebok and MBT with ordinary running shoes.
    "Both studies found that there was no significant difference between any of the toning shoes and the standard running shoe," says ACE's Todd Galati. Bottom line, says Galati, is that claims that toning shoes help people burn extra calories, improve muscle tone and build strength are bunk.
    "These shoes are not a magic pill. It is the walking that will make a difference in your life. Not the shoe," he says.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I wear them for work. (Food server) and i noticed they make me work harder. But they are also the most comfortable work shoes i have had. And really built up my calves. And i have cronic back pain from herniated discs snd my back doesnt hurt when i wear them. I am on my second pair. Been wearing them too years
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wear the skechers shape-ups non-slip work style they sell. I've been wearing them for a year and a half for 8-12 hours a day and haven't noticed any toning in my legs. However, I continue to wear them because they have extra cushion which is great for my joints since I stand on hard cement floors all day, they give my 5'0" frame a little extra height which helps me reach things at work, and they are pretty comfy. I'd say if you're looking to tone up, they are probably a waste. I do find them to be very comfortable though!
  • sputnika
    sputnika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have shape ups but I do have a pair of MBTs. I can't really say if wearing them toned my legs all that much and I don't really believe the weight loss claims of this type of shoe but I do love wearing them to power-walk. I find that they help you to move along at a faster pace, pushing you forward as you roll forward on the sole. The only downside is that they are quite heavy so they took a bit of getting used to. I think you have to take it easy at first to avoid getting shin splints. However I have since done 2 marathons, plus several half marathons (power-walking, not running) in them and they were great.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm a non-exerciser...

I bought a pair on my last day of work. They sat for about 3 months.

I started walking after I lost enough weight. The heel-toe rolling is a great help in walking straight. I'm standing up straighter (bad posture always). I'm losing weight from walking yes, but I'm benefiting from the action the shoe MAKES you walk. It's easier to stand tall in these shoes.

On a more positive note, when I wear them just to wear them, I find myself doing the exercises that come with the shoes. As a result, my calf muscles are more toned (that can't happen in just a week).

If you really are curious about the shoes, go to a place that sells all of the different types. Try them on and walk around. They are truly a great purchase!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I bought mine last year. Can't really say if they help tone, but I do wear them to work .I'm a nurse and found they made a huge difference in general leg aches and pains. Lots of other nurses I know also swear by them.
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought some of the x-training ones, and I LOVE them. A bit hard on my arches (I have extremely high arched feet and quite often end up pidgon-toed). I noticed a huge difference in my butt and my thighs especially. Could feel them working in my thighs. Oh, and yes previous to wearing them I walked every day for at least 20 minutes, and running, so I think they really helped. And they are comfy and don't look as hideous as the walking only ones.
  • theome
    theome Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i wear them when i know i have to be on my feet for more than 5 hours, they are so very comfortable and help leg and back issues if you have any.