Banana's

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
I have 3 Banana's that need to be used either tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone have a healthy banana bread (or muffin) recipe they could share?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I won't call my recipe healthy...but it takes six bananas, so what I do is freeze the browning bananas until I have enough. Then thaw and use in the banana bread or muffins, which is all you can do with them after freezing because they are really mushy and gross at that point.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I peel bananas, cut them in half and freeze them. Then I just toss a still frozen 1/2 into the blender with milk and whey powder for a protein smoothie.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in sugar naturally so what you seek can only be so healthy,even though its natural fruit sugar its hard to make something so tasty healthy,you can make it healthier than other recipes but by no means make what you are asking for healthy.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe per se, but I can offer some suggestions to take a standard one and make it better.

Use egg whites instead of whole eggs, 2 whites for every whole egg it calls for - add more protein and reduces fat

cut sugar by about 1/3 (especially if bananas are really ripe) most recipes are too sugary

cut oil in half and use applesauce for the other half

use ground flax seed meal for some of the flour, adds fiber and omega oils.

I also freeze the really ripe bananas till I have enough of for smoothies, peel them first.

You could try this website for healthy recipe chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    She has great ideas!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Eileen's Best Banana Bread

YIELD: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    COURSE: Breads
    Ingredients

3 2/5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
    3 3/5 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
    1/4 cup flaxseed meal
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup mashed ripe banana
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1/4 cup canola oil
    Cooking spray
    Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°.

2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine banana and next 4 ingredients (through oil) in a small bowl. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

3. Spoon the batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, and remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 212
    Fat: 9.2g
    Saturated fat: 0.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 4.2g
    Protein: 4.3g
    Carbohydrate: 30.4g
    Fiber: 2.6g
    Cholesterol: 1mg
    Iron: 1.1mg
    Sodium: 189mg
    Calcium: 60mg
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Banana Bread

Peanut butter is whipped into the basic recipe for a moist banana bread with a hint of nutty flavor. A small amount of chopped roasted peanuts offers delightfully surprising crunch.

YIELD: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
    Ingredients

Bread:
    1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
    1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1/4 cup ground flaxseed
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
    Cooking spray
    Glaze:
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
    1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
    Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare bread, combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until blended.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool.

4. To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over bread.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 198
    Fat: 7.4g
    Saturated fat: 2.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
    Protein: 4.7g
    Carbohydrate: 29.7g
    Fiber: 1.9g
    Cholesterol: 28mg
    Iron: 1.1mg
    Sodium: 200mg
    Calcium: 27mg
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    Options
    I also peel them and freeze them in a small bag...great for a smoothie anytime!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Those recipes sound delicious, especially the Peanut Butter/Banana one.
  • sguggenmos
    Options
    So it's not a bread/muffin recipe, but yummy. Freeze the bananas, then puree them! All natural Banana Ice Cream! So creamy and delicious.
  • kittyforet
    Options
    go to all recipes and use the recipe for applesauce banana bread.....yummy!!!!!!
  • ClariceDancer
    Options
    I found a recipe on here it's meant to taste like Ice cream :)

Chop the bananas and put it in the freezer

Then when you fancy ice cream throw it in the blender with a spoon of peanut butter and Greek yogurt

I have just put some in the freezer to try it so hope it tastes nice. It's meant to be like ice cream without all the fat and calories. :)