Question about wii fit?

Options
So I wore my HRM today while doing stuff on the Wii (mostly cardio things like the running, boxing, step aerobics etc) and it says I've burned 400+ cals in the 50 minutes I did. The Wii itself said I burned like 200 something. I only had the HRM going when I was doing the exercising, I stopped it when I was resting or when I selected new things to do (mostly I did routines so it was 20 minutes at a time). SO my question is, should I trust the HRM or the Wii? They both know my stats, and while doing the Wii my heart rate was mostly around 130-148, so not really in my upper level or anything (I reach 175 on the elliptical) but I just wanted your guys' opinions. Thanks :D

Replies

• mccgivens
    Options
    So I wore my HRM today while doing stuff on the Wii (mostly cardio things like the running, boxing, step aerobics etc) and it says I've burned 400+ cals in the 50 minutes I did. The Wii itself said I burned like 200 something. I only had the HRM going when I was doing the exercising, I stopped it when I was resting or when I selected new things to do (mostly I did routines so it was 20 minutes at a time). SO my question is, should I trust the HRM or the Wii? They both know my stats, and while doing the Wii my heart rate was mostly around 130-148, so not really in my upper level or anything (I reach 175 on the elliptical) but I just wanted your guys' opinions. Thanks :D

bump...I've noticed the difference too.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just want to make sure I'm not overestimating calories so I don't eat too much.
  • AgandNes
    AgandNes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself about how hard you really worked and you'll have your answer. :P If your heart rate wasn't high than I'd imagine you weren't working 400-cals-in-50-mins-hard. I don't own the game, but I'm sure it's like any other type of exercise. Hope that helps! :)
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I'm not sure. I know I was working pretty hard on some of em like the lunges, the boxing, and working like NUTS on the hoola-hooping (lunges are the bane of my existence -.- ) but I feel like I did more than 200 calories. I'm planning on getting on it again later, so maybe I'll just take the average of the two. My heart rate being around 130-150 for me I feel is high, just not HIGH. My resting is usually 77, and it'll get up to 88 if I walk around. I think the average of the two will be what I do in the end. I'm not gonna change what I eat tonight anyways, so that sounds good enough.
  • azzledazzle
    Options
    How accurate has your HRM been in previous workouts? If it has been very accurate i would go for that. I know its high but its monitoring your heartbeat. The Wii doesnt monitor your heartbeat so i dont see how that can be an accurate result.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Its been spot on with what MFP suggests. And its around 100 more than the elliptical says (and I believe my HRM since my HR can get up to 200 on the elliptical and it FREAKS and will say my HR is 81, then 200, then 150 over and over) so what I did is where MFP suggests 280, I typed in 300.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hrm.
    This site has been recommended elsewhere on the boards as being pretty accurate
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Perhaps use this to compare your two readings and decide which is the most accurate?
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    It doesn't have the wii on there. I guess I could just go with what the wii says, that way I burn at least 300 or so calories there. That was my goal for the day anyway.
  • AgandNes
    AgandNes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, you can average it out to what seems more realistic to you. I don't have the game so I really don't know what I'm talking about. :P
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I want to know how the wii calculates calories burned. My parents have a wii fit so I've done it when I've gone to visit them in the past, and I always got so frustrated that I'd spend such a long time on it/be working so hard and then it would say I'd only burned 100 something calories. It drove me nuts!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do Wii Fit and Wii Walk it Out. During a 80 minute session of WIO my HRM calculated 552 calories. I had a break in the middle of about 20 mins, I paused my HRM. I kept a steady elevated heartrate and I was moving the whole time. This amount seems high to me, so I'm no help. All my work outs have high readings, I'm not sure what to make of it. I am tall and weigh more, so who knows. Very frustrating to have to doubt a spendy piece of equipment that's supposed to be helping you!
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    You should get the game, its fun :p I make the SO play with me because I'm so competitive.

But yes, its frustrating. I feel like I do more work than it says I do. I ran a mile on it and it'll say 44 calories but I'm running like crazy. I don't know, I did it because it's fun and I didn't wanna go to the gym. I guess I'll just use the numbers it gives me because I don't want to over eat or anything.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    trust the HRM. the Wii estimates based on an average person (not over weight, not athlete either)

an example someone who weight 155 pounds does an hour of aerobics, and burns 340 calories. a person weighing 210 will burn way more, purely from the effort involved, like upwards of 500 calories.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    So I googled and found a bunch of websites that recommend using an HRM when doing Wii Fit because it only calculates the amount of calories burnt based on your weight, not fitness level, heart rate, ect. So what my HRM said yesterday was probably more accurate, as I am SORE today like I worked out really well at the gym. I don't remember the numbers so I'm not going to change anything, but I might wear the HRM when I do the Wii from now on. Until then I'll aim for the Wii goal I have set of 300 calories, and just assume I've burned more. Maybe earn an extra cheese stick. Haha.