Need some motivation? If you frequently fall of the wagon th

Options
Confession time! I'll keep this short...

On Saturday one of my friends came into town... I knew what was to come and while my intention was to be relatively good, I did OKAY.

I had some FroYo... cheese, wine, vodka, Korean food, sushi (a lot of sushi)... etc. Needless to say, by Monday I was feeling pretty crappy on the inside and out.

Then I had another unexpected issue, which I won't get into, but it has limited my workouts. It has (had), been a domino effect from there. I got back on track Wednesday and Thursday and then started to feel a little crappy again on Friday... you get the point. Do you recognize this cyclical pattern of behavior? If you've experienced it, then you can bet that you will never get to your destination unless you take control.

SO... got off track again last night... felt guilty and decided to pull in the reigns... I said to myself "Self, get it together! Enough of this. Only you can control what you do. Take control now or face the consequences. Get over it... so what, your workouts aren't where you want them to be, but you know what... it could be so much worse!"From there, I stepped on the scale to take a look at the damage I'd done... if this is you... be REALISTIC. Face the consequences. I could have avoided the scale and continued this pattern, but instead I faced the FACTS. Not getting on the scale wasn't going to change the damage I'd done. Now, I know that if I stay on track I can only move forward (or down) from here. Soooo I was up to 124.8... granted some of it was water weight. Today, down to 123.4. Tomorrow... I'm positive I'll continue to follow the right direction.

Moral of this story... if you fall off the wagon, pick yourself back up. Don't say "I'll start again tomorrow or after the weekend". Say "I'll start again right NOW". You are the only one that can make the right choices. By confessing this information to you, I'm not removing the responsibility from myself, I'm not expecting anyone to say "Oh it's okay", and I don't think it's going to erase the damage. BUT, I am telling you that this can happen to anyone. Life gets in the way sometimes, but it is absolutely not an excuse.

Let me draw this out for you...

Lets say it's Friday evening, your total caloric burn for the week is approximately 1800 calories (a little over 300 per day). You've had a long day at work and can't wait to go to happy hour with your friends...

You've done well all week so it won't hurt will it? I'll even keep this conservative for you...Happy Hour: 3 Light beers and 5 boneless wings...a whopping 470 calories (approximately)Dinner: well you already have a buzz so you want something greasy... Burger and 2 more light beers... 680 calories

Just on Friday you have consumed an additional 1150... 1800 calories burned for the week - 1150 consumed Friday night = that leaves you with a 650 calorie deficit for the week... not bad. We all need a treat.

So you wake up with a nasty little hangover on Saturday and since alcohol is a depressant you are feeling quite guilty for the choices you made the night before.

First thing you do is make a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast at approximately 500 calories to start your day. You then go about your day eating normally and go out for dinner again... how about Mexican tonight. Lets be honest, how many choices are under 600 calories? So in breakfast and dinner alone you've consumed over1100 calories.

You get the point... had you just had that treat on Friday and gotten right back on track then on Monday when you step on the scale you would see a loss, but instead you continue this cyclical pattern of losing a couple of pounds and gaining them right back over the weekend. I could go on and on about the importance of getting back on track, but you get it!

On Facebook: "SarahFit Fargusson * Follow My Journey"

Replies

• karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I tend to fall off the wagon A LOT but I have not given up. Success is awarded to those who keep pushing through perseverance and determination.
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ummm yeah.. I'd LOVE to weigh 123.4 lbs... so, thanks.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I feel like you wrote this post for me! I am so good all week long... at work and in the evening counting each calorie and making sure I am at my goal.... then the weekend comes.... and it all goes down hill from there. By the time Monday comes, I get on the scale and any weight I lost over the week is already back and maybe some more!!!!
    This week was my first week of sticking with it no matter what.... Friday night I wanted to hit happy hour.... instead of my favorite whipped cream vodka with sprite or malibu with pineapple or cranberry juice, I chose vodka soda with a fresh lime wedge..... I had 3... the next morning I stepped on my scale and I was actually down a lb! I know it would have been up if I indulged in my favorite sweet drinks!!! So..... I am learning..... this is a journey. Lots of little steps in the right direction will get me to my goal.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This is soo me!
  • sen301
    sen301 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I fall off the wagon a lot and feel like crap. I have almost grown out of my clothes but refuse to buy a bigger size!!! I use it as motivation to do better. My weekness is sweets. I have to have something sweet every night and sometime in the daytime.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I feel like you wrote this post for me! I am so good all week long... at work and in the evening counting each calorie and making sure I am at my goal.... then the weekend comes.... and it all goes down hill from there. By the time Monday comes, I get on the scale and any weight I lost over the week is already back and maybe some more!!!!
    This week was my first week of sticking with it no matter what.... Friday night I wanted to hit happy hour.... instead of my favorite whipped cream vodka with sprite or malibu with pineapple or cranberry juice, I chose vodka soda with a fresh lime wedge..... I had 3... the next morning I stepped on my scale and I was actually down a lb! I know it would have been up if I indulged in my favorite sweet drinks!!! So..... I am learning..... this is a journey. Lots of little steps in the right direction will get me to my goal.

Yay! Keep it going and you will see big changes! I do love that whipped vodka and I used to way over-indulge in the caloric bombs by the name of Margarita, but I made the same switch, but to stoli vanilla and diet.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I fall off the wagon a lot and feel like crap. I have almost grown out of my clothes but refuse to buy a bigger size!!! I use it as motivation to do better. My weekness is sweets. I have to have something sweet every night and sometime in the daytime.

You have to let go of letting your clothes be motivation because wearing unflattering clothes is negatively effecting your self-esteem. If you do cave and buy larger clothes that flatter you then you will feel better about yourself... which is a positive step. Of course, you would still continue on your weight loss journey. What I have found to satisfy the sweet tooth is to incorporate it into my post workout meal. So I will have a protein shake with any carb that I want as long as it is around 30 grams (that will depend on your size and intensity of workouts) and only 2-3 grams or less of fat. Therefore I get my sweet fix and a little treat after I put in a good hard workout... I'll have anything from waffles and sugar free syrup, special K crisps, low fat brownies, cereal, pretzels, etc...