Does anyone else feel the same way?

Options

Replies

• TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    From your profile:
    the main reason I want to get in shape is for when I hopefully go to Camp America next year as a Camp Leader - need to be able to keep up with all the kids in the physical activities such as kayaking etc!
    You will most definitely not be able to keep up with the kids if you're body is malnourished and weak. You need to fuel it. I'm only 5' nothing as well, and I know how weight sits on us even worse than on taller people, but skinny and dead is not the extreme you need to take. Please talk to someone at school or your parents or a help line...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against everyone else and tell you that I know what you mean. If I eat too many calories, I don't lose weight either. I have to almost starve myself, or I just dont lose. I think that everyones body is different and I am glad to see others eating 1200 calories and lose weight, but I just can't seem to. Since I have been eating more calories, I have not dropped a pound, and I am working out at least 30 to 60 minutes a day

That's cause you're starving yourself too..... Just at a higher weight.

The OP is aiming for a goal weight of 6 and a half stone. Do you have any idea how underweight that is? I don't think you should enable her, do you?
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    argh feeling so bad for eating that donut.. still, my total only came to about 560 calories today.. but every time I go over 600 calories I feel hideous about myself :/ starting to think I'm taking this all too seriously, this site says I should eat at least 1200 calories a day but I know I wouldn't be able to do that.. help!

Wow, 500/600 is way too low. What are your current stats, if you don't mind posting? And from there we can help determine what your maintenance should be.
  • SannaBourne
    Options
    [/quote]

Sanna, with all due respect, there isn't a healthy way to starve yourself. Supporting each other in disordered eating isn't the way forward either....
    [/quote]

yeah, you're right :( .. could you edit your comment to not show mine please? i want her to get better
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    Ok. you are starving yourself. This is called anorexia and it can become fatal. Please know that 1200 calories is not overindulging. It is the bare minimum to survive. I see from your profile you want to weigh about 6 1/2 stones, which equates to 91 pounds to us Americans. This sounds way too low, and again brings me back to the anorexia problem. Become friends with healthy choices in your diet that are a good mix of lean protein, green leafy vegetables, fruits that pack a healthy dose of fiber and complex carbohydrates like brown rice. But most of all, in order to combat your anxiety over food and body image seek help from a certified nutritionist. Ask your doctor for a referral. They can help you overcome your fears of food and also help you design a menu that you can eat with confidence and not fear. Remember above all else to love the body you have without abusing it to make it too skinny. Is it really worth being skinny if it kills you? :flowerforyou:

did you also see where she is 5 feet tall? yes that would put her bmi at 17.8 but she will most likely gain some wieght back from this and or she may not make it that low
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that you can get the help that you need with your caloric intake and your mental view on eating. I don't think calling anyone going through this stupid. It's an honest problem. But fyi a similar post was locked yesterday due to it pertaining about eating disorders along with posting the proper people to contact for help.

I hope things get better for you.
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    mfp also says that it is not to be attacking the op. honest questions can be asked. i dont think she was trying to do anything wrong. i think other people can cause it to be locked
  • meerkat70
    Options

did you also see where she is 5 feet tall? yes that would put her bmi at 17.8 but she will most likely gain some wieght back from this and or she may not make it that low

You have to be kidding? You think that aiming to be malnourished is ok, cause she might gain the weight back before she... you know... dies? And I guess the damage that eating this way does to the body along the way... well, that's easy to repair, isn't it? Oh wait....

FFS.

This girl needs assistance. She doesn't need people telling her it's ok to starve herself, and that being unhealthily skinny is really a desirable outcome.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    argh feeling so bad for eating that donut.. still, my total only came to about 560 calories today.. but every time I go over 600 calories I feel hideous about myself :/ starting to think I'm taking this all too seriously, this site says I should eat at least 1200 calories a day but I know I wouldn't be able to do that.. help!

Ok the last thing you said was "help"

So truly I think your head knows that you need it. I don't know you but from what you've written it does sound like you've got an eating disorder or at least some things to work out.

As many people have said 600 calories is NOT ENOUGH to keep your body functioning adequately. Feeding your body gives it the energy to stay fit.

The thing to remember is that your body is an amazing creation that is all about self preservation!
    So those who say they don't loose weight unless they reduce calories to dangerous levels have already set their body into survival mode....your body is trying to hold on to every last bit of fat/nutrients it can because it thinks it is starving.

Feed your body a MINIMUM of 1200 calories then you'll have the energy to burn it off with great workouts.

Friend me if you'd like. You can do this! You CAN EAT and be healthy and look great!
  • TeeJayBee_xo
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has been understanding, I asked this as I have started to realise how much the intake of calories is making me constantly worry, & starting to realise it isn't 'normal'..
    I just wanted to see if anyone else was going through the same mindset as me right now, & if it was normal to feel like this.. if that makes sense at all? But once again thank you for all of you that have been kind about it. :flowerforyou: xx
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your profile, and two things stuck out at me. You want to work with youth, and you want to have the energy to keep up with them. I think it's critical for someone who is working with youth to be a healthy role model. As has been pointed out (both kindly and rudely) you seem to have some disordered thinking about food. The advice to get some help with that is good advice. Especially since you're not going to have any energy at all if your body is starving. You do need to find a way to address this if you're going to make your dreams a reality, and you have some very specific plans - I really hope for you that you can do it!

As for the donut - don't feel guilty. We all know that donuts aren't the healthiest food, but at least you're giving your body SOME fuel. It's not premium fuel, but those calories will burn just like any others, and your body needs those calories. Let the past be the past and work on today. Even breakfast is the past when lunchtime rolls around.

And as for whether other people feel guilty for eating a donut - for me, only if it puts me over on my total calories and/or I don't meet my other nutrient goals because of it.

Good luck!
  • Ashley121205
    Options
    I know that. I was just saying what I saw yesterday. It was almost identical to this post. I believe she is crying for help but also if she's questioning herself she knows it's not right. I do hope she finds all the help she needs.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    AGREE WITH OTHERS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Sanna
    Done. xxx
  • Ashley121205
    Options
    If you can find the show Supersize vs Superskinny I think it would be of some help for you. It shows and overweight and underweight person switching diets for a week and it shows all the harm that an underweight person is doing to their body too. There was a 25 year old woman with the hips of a 50 year old because she's depriving herself of vital nutrients !! It goes from both ends of the spectrum and encourages them to try things they normally wouldn't eat.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has been understanding, I asked this as I have started to realise how much the intake of calories is making me constantly worry, & starting to realise it isn't 'normal'..
    I just wanted to see if anyone else was going through the same mindset as me right now, & if it was normal to feel like this.. if that makes sense at all? But once again thank you for all of you that have been kind about it. :flowerforyou: xx

Lovely, it isn't about normal or not normal. It's about being healthy, it's about caring for yourself. Please do try to get some support. The internet is a wonderful place, but it isn't really the best place to get support for the kinds of feelings you're describing. Try your school counsellor. See what referrals are available. There's usually a good fair bit of support available through the NHS for the kinds of issues you're wrestling with. Try to be as honest about it as you can so they can help you best.

Good luck, and well done for reaching out for some help.
  • DAINTYLADY
    Options
    MAKE SURE YOU EAT AT LEAST 1200 CALORIES.... ITS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!! TRUST....
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes - eating this few calories is going to cause you to lose weight. DUH. But you're prolly still not happy with your body bc its got fat pouches or is flabby in some places (in your mind) or whatever. Whatever weight loss you ARE seeing it likely bone density, muscle loss, and true, fat loss. Once you eat ANYTHING (including that doughnut) its just going to get stored as fat and be added to those little fat pockets your unhappy about. You've probably been seeing some of the results you want but the reason you're not seeing all of then is becuase you're not doing this the right way. You need to get some muscle toning on - thats NOT cardio.. thats weights. But your body isn't going to respond well to weight training if you're not feeding it right.

BL: your weight loss in bone density and muscle is gonig to have some really bad long term affect if its not already. Think kidney damage, organ failure, broken bones. How can you be a camp counselor if you're body isn't going to keep up with all the impact? I'm not saying to start eating 1200 right away, bc quite frankly thats dangerous too since your body is use to this right now. But you do need to ease back into a healthy diet and you need to do muscle training to off set the effects. This means you're going to gain some weight. bottom line. But you'll be slim and toned. You'll actually look a lot thinner even though the numbers will go up. Its the bone density coming back, and the muscle replacing those fat pockets to suck everything in. Just saying. Go see a nutritionist, have them help you find a way to get back to a healthy lifestyle before you do damage to yourself.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

As someone who used to struggle with anorexia, I know it's hard but it can be done..one day at a time and draw on the love and support of family and friends. Long term damage is not worth being a stick..trust me :)
This discussion has been closed.