muscle weight vs fat weight

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Actually muscle is more dense then fat so it does weigh more.

However it does annoy me when people say you've probably put on muscle weight when you gain a few lbs.... Because there's no way you are going to put on a few lbs of muscle overnight.. if your weight increases over night its more than likely just water or the food in your system..

erm no. Muscle is more dense than fat and so muscle is more dense than fat. A pound of fat weighs precisely the same as a pound of muscle. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense and hence has more weight per volume. But that is not the same thing as suggesting it weighs more. Which was the OP's point.

Your second point is accurate.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Actually muscle is more dense then fat so it does weigh more.

However it does annoy me when people say you've probably put on muscle weight when you gain a few lbs.... Because there's no way you are going to put on a few lbs of muscle overnight.. if your weight increases over night its more than likely just water or the food in your system..

erm no. Muscle is more dense than fat and so muscle is more dense than fat. A pound of fat weighs precisely the same as a pound of muscle. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense and hence has more weight per volume. But that is not the same thing as suggesting it weighs more. Which was the OP's point.

Your second point is accurate.

When your comparing the same volume of course muscle weighs more. But the topic is all moot when you move on to my second point.