Tips for increasing protein in my diet

Options
My first thoughts are to increase what I like while minimising what isn't so good for me, so I made a list of all of the major protein in my diet recently and sorted two lists:

TOP 4: Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Pork Loin Chop, Lean Beef

MINIMISE: Bacon, Cheddar, Eggs, Salmon

The minimise list are all high in fat. The bacon and cheddar could be removed but I love them too much and if I deprive myself completely I crave them, so maybe a limit of 50g half fat cheddar (or any other hard cheese) in one week, and a similar limit on bacon while making sure I pick the leanest option when shopping. Eggs and Salmon are both good, just in moderation. If I can stick to only having one item off the minimise list a day they hopefully I won't get into trouble!

Can anyone suggest anything I could add? I do like my beans and pulses so I am also trying to eat more of them.

I am finding it hard to get enough protein without eating a lot of white meat with every meal!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The fat from eggs is good fat, don't minimize eggs. If you are really concerned with them then try 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Try adding a protein supplement as a snack or post workout drink.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Eggs and salmon should be in the top list, IMO. Also, there are many other types of fish and shellfish that you can add. There is also nothing wrong with chicken and turkey thighs.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    fat isn't bad for you get that out of your head, even saturated fat is required by the body but in small amounts.
    I recommend tuna which is cheap and chicken breasts. Yes, you're gonna get bored but that's how protein is. Unless you like cooking, then you might get creative with the chicken lol
    And yea how could i forget whey protein duh! With plenty of skim milk
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Wuhh??? No way dude! Eggs are EGGCELENT for you!! Its good fat and great protein! Salmon and any kind of fish too!
    Its not true that you should only eat chicken and turkey for god sakes. protein is protein! Even extra lean pork is low cal and yummy! Btw, theres nothing wrong with a lil animal fat.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    These are my "go to" lean proteins...

egg whites
    fat free greek yogurt
    hummus
    almonds and almond butter
    chicken breast
    turkey breast
    tuna, salmon, other fish, shrimp
    lean pork
    protein powder - as a drink or mixed into oatmeal
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    edamame :)
  • Lori7
    Lori7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Tuna, Ground Turkey, liquid egg whites with one whole egg, chicken, Salmon, Lean cut of Steak. :happy:
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Ps: FOOD FOR THOUGHT: FAT feeds your brain! Go 100% lean (which is practically impossible anyway) and you'd be brain dead.

nuts and natural nut butter which are a great source of protein and FAT are great for you :)
    theres greek yogurt but i stay away from dairy (personal choice)
    theres lots of veggies that are an excellent source of protein and legumes too.
    Hope it helps
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions - please keep them coming!!

Not talking about 100% lean, I would just rather get my fats from better quality sources than bacon and cheese fat! I love nuts but could quite easily eat 1000 calories at a time so I have to limit myself to 10-15g a day.

As for Salmon and Eggs - minimise, is minimise for me not eliminate! My only limit is no more than one portion from my 'minimise' group per day so in theory I could have eggs four times a week and salmon three times if I don't have any bacon or cheese! It just means no bacon and cheese omlettes.

Protein powder is something I have considered but I hate shakes so thanks for the idea of putting it in oatmeal (my staple breakfast during the winter!). I guess you could also mix it in with other stuff too like a yoghurt.

Any other ideas of what I could mix it into would be great.

Also - can you cook with it?

And any recommendations of a good protein powder (whey vs soya???) that does not have any added flavours (something thats readily available in the UK please)

Thanks everyone so far :happy:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Why the fascination with chicken BREAST? Why not chicken leg? It's actually got flavour in it! :D
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of pro eggs and salmon. They are not a source of substantial saturated fats and are a great source of energy as well as metabolizing building blocks.

Upping the protein is not that hard if you aren't opposed to animal sources, which looking at your list, is not the issue. I get protein in all my meals throughout the days, including snacks.

It's OK for 25 to 30 percent of your caloric intake is natural organic fats. The big gotcha is when that comes from hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated manufactured crap.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    do not ever go with soy protein ever ever ever look for articles on whey vs soy.
  • MrsWibbly
    Options
    Having done a little more research - any opinions on Maxitone Definity Natural?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Jerky. Beef, turkey or buffalo. No fat, low cal, great snack, high protein.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just looking at what I had for lunch. 32 for today- homemade lasagna was 24, ae yogurt 8.
    Dinner was 47- Ribeye 39 and ae yogurt 8.

I put chicken in a lot of recipes too! :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Shrimp! Low cal and good protein.
  • MrsWibbly
    Options
    On the stats Chicken breast is the best option but only by a tiny margin, I do also eat chicken and turkey thigh and leg meat, in fact I will eat pretty much anything!! I usually buy skinless chicken (breast or thigh) as the skin, nicely roasted and crisp is a weakness and I can happily eat all the skin off a whole roast chicken or turkey - not great for my calorie intake!
  • MrsWibbly
    Options
    do not ever go with soy protein ever ever ever look for articles on whey vs soy.

I looked and found this

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

- which completely contradicts what you are saying

Can you give some examples?
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Wow. I eat eggs DAILY and there's days I can eat 5 of em and I'm healthy as a horse!
    ...i do agree that ppl have to be careful with nuts and nut butters especially if you have no self control around em

Oh and SOY is bad for you. Look it up, ppl drink gallons or soy milk and all that crap.. Soy is okay in small amounts and it has to me fermented 1st. Drink almond milk. And if you must, do whey protein powders. Soy in infested with hormones and junk • no bueno!