I need help!! I want 2Run! lol

Options
I've been wanting 2start a routine run 2help me reach my weight goal. I jus can't get it going. I've been told I need a good pair of running shoes but what is considered a good pair? Lol I need sum support & motivation. Who here are runners? Share with me how u got started & what help you stick with it? I am a newbie currently @ 213lbs with a goal of 140lbs by July 2012

Replies

• JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    google couch to 5k. It has a program to slowly build you up to long distance running. I am in the same position as you and want to start running again. I am starting monday! I cannot wait!
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    def couch to 5k
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I also want to say GOOD LUCK! I know with the support you get on MFP you will reach your goal!
  • lowliar
    lowliar Posts: 26
    Options
    Honestly, I know it sounds dumb to say this, but I really found that Sketcher's Shape-Ups made a world of difference, like I was running on air.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store (not just a shoe store) and get fitted for running shoes...it will help you get the right support and you'll be worry free from shin splints, sore feet and extra fatigue!!!!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year and haf ago, it is most simply the best way to burn the most amount of calories in the least amount of time! i went from originally being unable to run for five minutes consecutively to running 12 miles :)

A good pair of running shoes can defnitely be an investment. If you have the means and access try and go to a local running store they will direct you towards the right shoe based on your foot type, prefrences, gait, ect.

In trying to start off it is great to pair running and walking just keep your heart rate up! that might mean walk for 4 mins run for 1 minute and do that 6 times, or whatever matches what fitness level you are at right now.

hope that helps
    meagan
  • bambiphae
    Options
    Go to a running or sporting goods store like City Sports, Village Runner, ****'s Sporting Goods, etc. and have them measure you and recommend some pairs. If you are pronated, then get a stability shoe. If you have high arches, make sure to tell them that. Get a running shoe, obviously, and ask for something that will last you. Make sure that everything fits well. Don't let them try to goad you into getting something more expensive, but you also don't want to settle for something less expensive but doesn't fit you as well.

Hope that helps. My first pair of running shoes were classic New Balances, can't go wrong. Now, I wear Brooks shoes, which I like a lot. Anyway, I run cross-country, so the information I'm giving you is what I've gotten from experience/my teammates.
  • msjayellis213
    Options
    Thanks. Ill look it up. I start a water aerobics class Monday & I'm nervous. I've done it b4 but I never stick 2it. But I want 2 do sumthing as simple as running. You can do it anywhere anytime. I jus can't get going. Its even harder that I don't hav a partner 2join me. :( this is hard
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes are the ones "right" for you and your gait. To find the right pair for you, you need to go to a running store (not typically the ones found in a mall) where they specialize in proper fitting. They will let you try on several pairs and watch you run and/or walk in each pair to analyze your gait and specific needs.

Along with good running shoes, you need to invest in good socks as well. They'll have those at the store as well.

You may pay a little more for the shoes, but it's well worth it and it's usually those stores who sponsor local races in your area. I can't express how important it is to find the shoe that's right for your feet.
  • llsandahl
    llsandahl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway's Running website

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

He offers training plans for beginners and also has a book specifically for women which includes buying shoes and clothing.

The best thing, though, is to go a local running store and talk to someone there about getting started. The local store can offer a lot of support.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Try to find a store that specializes in running shoes. They will help you get the right shoe based on your mechanics, if that's not an option, then go to a sporting goods store and try on some different pairs to find one you like. I started out on the treadmill and then went to running outside 2x a week and once a week doing elliptical. Start off slow, the endurance will come with time. I didn't really have a set program, I just kept increasing my speed and distance on the treadmill and then moved outside. People seem to have good progress with the program couch to 5k. The program is supposed to get you from 0 to 5k. Just remember to build up your endurance and don't rush it, before you know it you will be running. Good luck
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd love to add you. Love connecting with other runners on here. Start slow and easy. When I first started running I devoted 2 hours everyday to running and I burned myself out quick. I was about 210lbs. when I started running and I'm about 138lbs. right now and recently ran my first marathon, and I'm running my second marathon November 13th. It's taken a long time though to work up to this point. When you are ready for a big race do Hal Higdon's plans. I swear by his plans and tell every new runner to use them.
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to start running, so that's basically what I did. I got on the treadmill, bumped it up to a comfortable jog (where I could still breathe easily enough to hold a conversation) and went until I felt I needed to stop, then I slowed to a walk for a couple minutes before running again. And I was pretty much starting from being a couch potato. Good running shoes are important, you want them to be light weight and comfortable. My favorite brand is Asics, and I also like Adidas running shoes. Also, when I was starting out I checked out www.active.com and it led me to a lot of good info about training for a race. I think it would be a good idea to find a race to enter so you have a goal to work toward. My first race I trained for was a 5K, I gave myself 6 weeks to train and I finished the race over 5 minutes faster than my goal time. And seriously, I am not a runner - I do not have a runner's body or their crazy addiction to running, but I liked having something to work toward and I love that I accomplished the goal. I pretty much think if I could get in good enough shape to run a 5K, anyone can. Good luck to you!
  • msjayellis213
    Options
    Thanks every1 for the great advice :)<3
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people swear by c25k, so I know it must be a good program, but I myself never used it. I started walking everyday until I felt like I wanted to try to run a little bit. I would pick a target ahead of me, run to it, then start walking again. Every day the target was a little farther away. I started doing that in July of 2009 & by Oct. of 2009 I ran my first 5k. I have been running ever since. I'm running my 2nd marathon next month. You probably won't love it right at first. Give yourself time. And don't try to run too fast. Speed will come, but you will like running so much more if you start out slow. Good luck with your running. If you really want to do it, you'll make it happen!
  • msjayellis213
    Options
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm really excited for you! Running is great and a health addiction!. I agree that you should try the "couch to 5k" program. And sign up for a 5k now! One preferably no less than two months from now. It will be a great goal. My highest weight was around 200 lbs and I never saw myself running. The great part about starting is that you can see improvements within the first two week. I could barely make it a quarter way around the track without getting winded and having to walk. Two weeks later, I could see a huge improvement and two weeks later even more. Just get started . . And keep us posted.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store (not just a shoe store) and get fitted for running shoes...it will help you get the right support and you'll be worry free from shin splints, sore feet and extra fatigue!!!!

This - good advice.

As far as motivation.... try and find a loop or circuit which is near your home and easy to get to; pleasant to run in (nice countryside, or a local park, maybe?), and isn't going to have you stopping and starting all the time because of junctions and traffic. And don't be afraid to walk/run! A lot of people seem to like the C25K program.
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running store or a store that sells inserts and/or specialty shoes first (I.E. Food Solutions if you are in Michigan). When I had started running again I was having trouble with shin splints and the bones in my feet were hurting. Since I hadn't been fit for a shoe in forever I figured I'd try it since it was right by my gym. After measuring my foot they actually dropped me down a half size but put me into an EE wide shoe. It made a world of difference. Also I now I realize if my feet are hurting it means I need new shoes 100% of the time. If you are running, even with a high quality shoe I would get less than a year out of them...maybe nine months.