Ravenous after a hard workout..?

Hi! So the day after an intense workout I always find that I'm starving and always end up eating back almost all of my exercise cals. Does anyone else get like this?!

Yesterday I ran 10 miles and went on the elliptical for a total burn of about 1500 calories and today I've been STARVING. I stayed under the limit for today, but believe me, it was difficult!

Anyone else feeling this way?

Replies

• Hi! So the day after an intense workout I always find that I'm starving and always end up eating back almost all of my exercise cals. Does anyone else get like this?!

Yesterday I ran 10 miles and went on the elliptical for a total burn of about 1500 calories and today I've been STARVING. I stayed under the limit for today, but believe me, it was difficult!

You're supposed to be eating back your exercise calories... My guess would be that you aren't eating them back that day, so your body is compensating by being ravenous the next day.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Is this the reason why regular gym junkies have a protein bar/gel/shake straight after a workout?

Protein helps you feel full, so maybe plan to have an egg or some nuts post workout?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    "Most" people don't feel like eating immediately after a hard session, hence the use of protein shakes.

As for "ending up eating my exercise calories back"...well, some will say that's what you're supposed to do! So, in thinking you're doing someone wrong, you're actually doing it right. Many people, including lots of females on here, only exercise as it gives them more leeway in what they can eat! Makes sense really!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    You body is experiencing the after burn the next day..protein shakes would definately help you with that "starving" feeling..you could also try zig zagging your calories about..so if you burn 1500 today - split it over the 2 days to help balance your hunger...and of course get lots of fiber in your diet - will help you feel full...
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I've been trying to burn around 1500 kcal everyday and my appetite has gotten much bigger. I have to drink a full glass of water before I eat to keep myself from over eating. Eating slow helps too.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Hi! So the day after an intense workout I always find that I'm starving and always end up eating back almost all of my exercise cals. Does anyone else get like this?!

Yup. All the time. That's why I eat. You should too.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    "Most" people don't feel like eating immediately after a hard session, hence the use of protein shakes.

As for "ending up eating my exercise calories back"...well, some will say that's what you're supposed to do! So, in thinking you're doing someone wrong, you're actually doing it right. Many people, including lots of females on here, only exercise as it gives them more leeway in what they can eat! Makes sense really!

This is very true. I only workout enough for a free glass of chocolate milk. Me no get extra food, me no workout.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    That is your body saying,"You stressed me and I need fuel to repair!"

I follow my workouts with a whey protein shake. Typically 30 grams of protein. That typically gets me through until my regular meal.

Yes I eat my exercise calories. For me to have the energy to continue to workout regularly, I need to.
    And, yes I am typically hungrier the day after a particularly brutal workout. For me this tends to be the day after leg day.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Yes, I definitely feel that way. It took me a while to adjust to that too. I would have my long run on Saturday (I did 14k this morning, I burned 1100 calories and ate about 800) and assume I would be hungry on Saturday, but then I would actually be super hungry the next day.

I eat my exercise calories though, or at least some of them, I satisfy that hunger. I also drink a protein shake right afterward with a banana in it for a better recovery and to satisfy any ravenous hunger later on. I exercise hard so that I can eat more! Well, and to look good too!