Lifting weights is not fun on the scale

Options
Lifting weights seems to significantly slow down weight loss. I'm slimming down but im not losing weight. Kind of frustrated. Anybody else experience this?

Replies

• kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    think about it -- do you want to lose fat, or whatever brings the number on the scale down?
    slimming down is a great sign, because it means your weight routine is working and you're burning fat while gaining muscle.
    it's just a priority thing.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Frustrated that you are maintaining muscle while losing fat? :huh:
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump.... i starting lifting more often and heavier and i have gained almost 4lbs. measurments are the same but wth!!
  • Multistyles
    Options
    Yeah I guess your right. I got excited when I lost the first 10 in like 15 days and now i'm stuck. But I guess it is ask about priority. If I stopped lifting I would probably lose it faster but I would also start losing muscles, which I don't want. I guess I just have to be patient.
  • Multistyles
    Options
    I know lol I just really want to reach my goal of 180
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Definately a head scratcher.

OP- What is your diet like? Do you know your calorie maintenance level in a 24 hour period (TDEE)? Are you eating a deficit under your maintenance of no more than 20% or 1000 calories? What are your stats (age, height, current wt, target wt, bodyfat%)?

Lots of questions that need answered.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    K....throw your scale out the friggin window and use your tape :O)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has slowed some since lifting weights. I am still losing though. Most significantly, the tape measure confirms that I am losing fat. That is the main point.

Initial weight gain is common when first lifting. As the muscles are put to work they will store more glycogen and water to be ready to work. This adds to your lean mass weight. This is a good thing, because as you burn fat you are more likely to keep the muscle.

The day after heavy lifting is a lousy time to weigh yourself because you will retain more water for the recovery process.

In the past 2 1/2 months I've lost a total body weight of about 9 lbs. However, I lost 15 lbs of fat and gained 6 lbs of muscle.

The question is what do you want?
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights seems to significantly slow down weight loss. I'm slimming down but im not losing weight. Kind of frustrated. Anybody else experience this?

Yeah...I do a lot of strength training, and I've noticed that I haven't reached the original weight-loss goal I set for myself (135 lbs.) BUT...I've also noticed that I've dropped 4 pants sizes and I have muscle definition I didn't have six months ago (not to mention an actual waistline), remarkably better health numbers, and greatly improved stamina and strength, especially in pointe class. So, all things considered...not seeing an arbitrary number on the scale isn't quite as important. :wink:
  • Multistyles
    Options

OP- What is your diet like? Do you know your calorie maintenance level in a 24 hour period (TDEE)? Are you eating a deficit under your maintenance of no more than 20% or 1000 calories? What are your stats (age, height, current wt, target wt, bodyfat%)?

2060 calories and i'm under everyday. 32 5"10 198lbs I eat mostly chicken and broccoli. For breakfast I usually eat raisin bran or Cheerios with lactose free 2% milk. I do full body workouts with free weights.
  • Multistyles
    Options
    Thanks a lot every one. I guess I just need to be patient because I definitely feel a lot better and I am slimming down. I guess I shouldn't focus on the number on the scale but the number on the tape measure.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

2060 calories and i'm under everyday. 32 5"10 198lbs I eat mostly chicken and broccoli. For breakfast I usually eat raisin bran or Cheerios with lactose free 2% milk. I do full body workouts with free weights.

My friend there is no possible way your TDEE is 2060 calories. TDEE is your total daily energy expedenture which includes all your activity throughout the day in 24 hours. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'8 and 181 and my TDEE on non-workout days right now is 2700 calories. I'm shorter, and lighter than you. The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Your workout is great. I do the same. Full body routine, compound lifts, 3x a week...but your diet is most likely one of the culprits holding your weight loss back. Also are you drinking enough water/fluids? Getting enough sleep every night?
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the scale is your enemy. Losing inches is your true sign of success. I bet you're looking great! Keep up the good work.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You have to keep in mind a few points:

#1- The average male doing everything right from a nutrition and training point of view can gain maybe a quarter of a pound of muscle per week. New lifters can perhaps double or triple that over the first couple months. The problem is I doubt more than a few if any on this site are doing 100% everything correct and are also at a metabolically ideal age. I would be surprised if the average male here gains more than a quarter of a pound a week. So, if your maintaining weight it's probably not from gaining muscle. Females will probably see half the gains men will.

#2- If you lift and workout consistently for a long period of time you will deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen holds a lot of water and by burning it you release water weight. On the other hand if you stop lifting for 3 days or more you will notice a bump in weight from the last day you lifted. This is because your glycogen is being replenished adding water weight. Lifting also tends to make people hold more water soon after lifting due to the recovery/hypertrophy process,particularly in new lifters.

Not saying this is the issue for anyone here but something to keep in mind.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess your right. I got excited when I lost the first 10 in like 15 days and now i'm stuck. But I guess it is ask about priority. If I stopped lifting I would probably lose it faster but I would also start losing muscles, which I don't want. I guess I just have to be patient.

Patience sucks. :grumble:
  • Multistyles
    Options

My friend there is no possible way your TDEE is 2060 calories. TDEE is your total daily energy expedenture which includes all your activity throughout the day in 24 hours. I'm 40 yrs old, 5'8 and 181 and my TDEE on non-workout days right now is 2700 calories. I'm shorter, and lighter than you. The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Your workout is great. I do the same. Full body routine, compound lifts, 3x a week...but your diet is most likely one of the culprits holding your weight loss back. Also are you drinking enough water/fluids? Getting enough sleep every night?
    You know what when I set up my account I wasn't working out, so your right it might be higher now and I have a hard time getting good sleep. Water is pretty much all I drink besides crystal light. Thanks man i'm going to readjust my settings and see what it says now.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

If your not seeing numbers change on the scale, how often are you weighing yourself? How do you physically feel, what does the mirror tell you? Lastly, take measurements of yourself. You might not lose significant weight. But if your diet is on point along with exercise, you can surely notice measurement changes; waist, arms, etc.

For us males, heavy lifting/muscle building is critical for increasing our metabolism allowing us to burn more calories essentially burning more fat/weight.

Try focusing more on your diet, as that is where weight-loss is most effective. What's your maintenance calories for your current stats?
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    [For us males, heavy lifting/muscle building is critical for increasing our metabolism allowing us to burn more calories essentially burning more fat/weight.

And females. :)
  • Multistyles
    Options
    You have to keep in mind a few points:

#1- The average male doing everything right from a nutrition and training point of view can gain maybe a quarter of a pound of muscle per week. New lifters can perhaps double or triple that over the first couple months. The problem is I doubt more than a few if any on this site are doing 100% everything correct and are also at a metabolically ideal age. I would be surprised if the average male here gains more than a quarter of a pound a week. So, if your maintaining weight it's probably not from gaining muscle. Females will probably see half the gains men will.

#2- If you lift and workout consistently for a long period of time you will deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen holds a lot of water and by burning it you release water weight. On the other hand if you stop lifting for 3 days or more you will notice a bump in weight from the last day you lifted. This is because your glycogen is being replenished adding water weight. Lifting also tends to make people hold more water soon after lifting due to the recovery/hypertrophy process,particularly in new lifters.

Not saying this is the issue for anyone here but something to keep in mind.
    I'm gaining strength and I am slimmer so its definitely muscle and i'm losing fat I just need to focus on how I look instead of living and dying by the scale.
  • Multistyles
    Options

If your not seeing numbers change on the scale, how often are you weighing yourself? How do you physically feel, what does the mirror tell you? Lastly, take measurements of yourself. You might not lose significant weight. But if your diet is on point along with exercise, you can surely notice measurement changes; waist, arms, etc.

For us males, heavy lifting/muscle building is critical for increasing our metabolism allowing us to burn more calories essentially burning more fat/weight.

Try focusing more on your diet, as that is where weight-loss is most effective. What's your maintenance calories for your current stats?
    2060 is the amount for me to lose 1lbs a week. My measurements are smaller so I think I just need to focus on my appearance instead of my weight. I just have it in my head if I get to 180lbs with the strength I have now I would be pretty ripped