Eating Back Burned Calories??

2»

Replies

• I feel so silly for asking that question, but thanks for those who answered me :). Hope the topic poster got what she needed :D
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    the way mfp is set up, yes. they already have the deficit set for you to lose x-amount of weight/week.. if you add in exercise you need to eat more so that youre fueling your body and eating enough to function

Well MFP had me on a 1200 diet and when I wasn't losing some people suggested I eat more. Now I take in 1700 (600 defeceit from maintenance) So in this sort of case would you eat back or no?
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    All depends on how much you burn on your exercise, and how much you've consumed in calories. For myself, I don't eat my "exercise calories" but I still consume enough macro-nutrients to hit my proper daily amount. If your burning 500+ cals on an exercise and only consuming 1000-1500 cals, then your body is only able to absorb about 500-1000 calories. Definitely not enough nutrients within those calories for your body to use. IF anything, I would consume half the amount of exercise calories.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member

Well MFP had me on a 1200 diet and when I wasn't losing some people suggested I eat more. Now I take in 1700 (600 defeceit from maintenance) So in this sort of case would you eat back or no?
    depends on how much youre exercising, how much weight you have to lose, what your goal loss per week is..and what you actually NET
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    If you go under Tools and calculate your BMR, it all makes sense then to eat back your exercise calories. The BMR shows a close estimate to how many calories your body burns just to breath, keep your heart beating etc if you did nothing but lay in bed all day.
  • ReinasWrath
    Well I try to go for a burn of 400 a day, should I just try and keep my NET at 1200? (meaning I eat back if it is under and don;t eat back if it isn't?) I was always a little confused on this because I adjusted it myself.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Well I try to go for a burn of 400 a day, should I just try and keep my NET at 1200? (meaning I eat back if it is under and don;t eat back if it isn't?) I was always a little confused on this because I adjusted it myself.
    at the very least i would make sure to net 1200. if youre still hungry after that, eat more of the exercise calories.. if youre not, dont worry about it.
    thats what i do anyway..
  • ReinasWrath
    That's pretty much what I've been doing too. Thank you so much for the advice!!!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Thank you for everyone putting in some input of opinion!
    Regardless of who says what; fact is: Someone is always going to disagree.

I think I am going to meet middle ground on this one and see how that goes to start.

Again, THANK YOU!
    Every opinion counts/help!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member

Regardless of who says what; fact is: Someone is always going to disagree.

Especially on the internet!!

Everyone is slightly different, so regardless of what MFP calculations are we all need to tweak it a little bit to find out what works for us.

My advise for those not sure about eating back exercise calories is try it and see what happens. If you are happy with weight loss (over a few weeks, not days) great. If not try eating half of them, and if you're still not happy try not eating them. Trial and error helps you learn about YOUR body and what YOU need.

Jodye
  • My trainer says absolutely do NOT eat those calories! I am to eat 1100 calories a day PERIOD! When I hit a plateau, I go up to 1300...then when I hit another, back down to 1100 - and so on. Just my two cents -- it's worked for me so far. 43 lbs in 3 months... :)

Just a note: Trainers are NOT experts in nutrition. Just sayin.

Indeed.

Then don't do it...I really don't care, LOL! Just sharing my experience and not asking for your input...

And for the record, my trainer IS an expert in nutrition - I'm a lucky girl... :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Ugh....This topic is the pitts. It just goes around in circles on here. If you want to know why. Just search for "exercise calories" and read.

Couldn't agree more.

Some people eat them all and have success.

Some people eat some of them back and have success.

Some people eat none of them back and have success.

Try each way, see what works best for you.