Kale Chips w/ pic

Options

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I finally found a temp/time that works for me. I sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt. Cooked on 325 degrees for 13-14 minutes!!! YUMMY!!!
  • Punkicoleman
    Punkicoleman Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips. They are my life saver when I need a crispy, salty snack. It did, however, take me a while to get them right. Here is how I make them.

First, I buy my kale at Trader Joe's. It comes packaged, clean and dry.

Then I tear off the curly ends into small pieces, discarding (or eating) the parts with stems and obvious veins.

I mix the curly edges in the very least amount of olive oil that I can use to coat kale. Too much oil will make them soggy.

I then season them with Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning Salt. This gives them an excellent flavor and reduces the possibility of gettiing them too salty.

After spreading them on a cookie sheet, I bake them at 8 minutes at 325, after which I turn them and continue to bake them for an additional 4 minutes.

I just leave them out overnight on the cookie sheet, which allows them to become even more crispy.

Everyday I make a fresh batch, and they get me through all of my panic urges, enabling me to lose 14 pounds in the past 5 1/2 weeks, which is just excellent progress for me.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I just made my first two batches last night. I did one group with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and vinegar-delicious! The second batch I did for my husband with Parmesan, garlic and olive oil. I much preferred the vinegar ones as I adore salt & vinegar chips. I can't wait to make more tomorrow!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Been making these for years, I use non-stick spray or even EVOO in the Misto, you use less oil that way. You can also try different seasonings for a different taste.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Will give this a try
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I just made my first two batches last night. I did one group with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and vinegar-delicious! The second batch I did for my husband with Parmesan, garlic and olive oil. I much preferred the vinegar ones as I adore salt & vinegar chips. I can't wait to make more tomorrow!

Ooh what a great idea ! I will try vinegar for sure next time, they are my husband's favourite too :)
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You don't even need oil for these. I just spread mine out on a plate and microwave them for 10 minutes and they come out nice and crispy. You can obviously put whatever toppings as usual that you like. I make mine sweet with some stevia
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    kale chips - bump!
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump (thanks!)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

How did you do the vinegar thing? Did you put it on pre cooking? Did they get crispy? I love love love salt and vinegar chips.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options

How did you do the vinegar thing? Did you put it on pre cooking? Did they get crispy? I love love love salt and vinegar chips.

I threw the dry kale into a ziploc bag, added 1 tbsp of olive oil, shook it up to get it coated, then added vinegar straight to the bag, shook it some more, poured it onto a cookie sheet, sprinkled sea salt on top and baked at 350F for about 12-15 minutes. Came out nice and crispy. I love these so much I made a whole pound last night :)
  • kellog24
    kellog24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • staceymsavage
    staceymsavage Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    These are SUCH a great snack - the one thing I would caution is to make sure you don't add TOO much sea salt. They can get VERY salty, very quickly which ruins the taste.

ENJOY!
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I threw the dry kale into a ziploc bag, added 1 tbsp of olive oil, shook it up to get it coated, then added vinegar straight to the bag, shook it some more, poured it onto a cookie sheet, sprinkled sea salt on top and baked at 350F for about 12-15 minutes. Came out nice and crispy. I love these so much I made a whole pound last night :)

THANKS! I am going to give this a try.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to try this. We get a bunch of kale every week with our CSA box. I hate kale unless it's boiled for about an hour with lots of salt, butter, and smoky bits. My boyfriend loves vinegar flavored potato chips and those crunch Japanese seaweed leaves. I bet this would work for us. Thanks!
  • treetop57
    Options
    It's raining Kale chips. I just opened my email to find this:

"Red Kale is my favorite kale! If you love kale chips and kale salad you'll love using the red kale. The flavor is excellent!! With the lemons this week, you can steam the kale, make a salad or kale chips with some lemon juice. If you're new to kale chips here's a link, http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/, to that you can add more flavors, but that's the basic recipe."
  • Punkicoleman
    Punkicoleman Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of kale chips every single day and they are what saves me from caving to something really awful, like potato chips.

We also love kale salad:

Kale
    Olive Oil
    Lemon Juice
    Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning
    Top with bits of anchovies and sliced almonds

This is so yummy!
  • treetop57
    Options

I tried this last night and they turned out great.

I did learn some things.

(1) There was basically no vinegar flavor. Next time I'll use more than the 1 TBSP rice vinegar I tried or use a stronger vinegar.
    (2) I over packed them on the cookie sheet so only the top and edges of the pile were crispy at 15 minutes. I cooked them a lot longer to get the texture I wanted. Next time I'll do two smaller batches or use two cookie sheets.

As I predicted, my husband gobbled them up. I'm sure he'll like them even more if I can get some vinegar flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Too funny that you posted this. I had the same recipe opened in another tab to try next week. Good to know about drying the kale first. I did try sauteing kale but that was an epic failure.