Eat every 3 or every 6 hours?

Options
Ok... here's the deal. I know that it is better for your body and metabolism to eat every 3-4 hours. However, when I eat every 3-4 hours... I always eat too much and go over my calorie limit. I'm just not satisfied with a few hundred calories (my limit is 1200) and I always end up eating at least 400 calories worth of food every meal... regardless of whether the food is calorie dense or not.

I have very long days that start at 4am and end at 10pm. So when I eat every 3-4 hours, it also seems like I am constantly eating. Between work and school, I am always on the go; it's hard to find food that is portable, doesn't need heating and is healthy for several meals throughout my day.

If I eat every 6 hours... I stay within my limit (usually), but I'm STARVING within 3-4 hours of eating. It's easier to work in 3 decent size meals versus 6 smaller ones. I know this is 'bad' for my metabolism but I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Ok... here's the deal. I know that it is better for your body and metabolism to eat every 3-4 hours. However, when I eat every 3-4 hours... I always eat too much and go over my calorie limit. I'm just not satisfied with a few hundred calories (my limit is 1200) and I always end up eating at least 400 calories worth of food every meal... regardless of whether the food is calorie dense or not.

I have very long days that start at 4am and end at 10pm. So when I eat every 3-4 hours, it also seems like I am constantly eating. Between work and school, I am always on the go; it's hard to find food that is portable, doesn't need heating and is healthy for several meals throughout my day.

If I eat every 6 hours... I stay within my limit (usually), but I'm STARVING within 3-4 hours of eating. It's easier to work in 3 decent size meals versus 6 smaller ones. I know this is 'bad' for my metabolism but I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    First thing is eating your exercise calories.
    Next is maybe upping your calories to 1300 or 1350.
    Eating every 3-4 hrs should train your stomach to want less at a sitting.
  • solomonsmom
    solomonsmom Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why your calorie intake is at 1200 maybe you need to take in more calories
  • marisa0918
    Options
    What type of meals are you eating when you eat every 3-4 hours? You should still stick to the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner type schedule, but make those smaller portions. In between maybe eat a peanut butter sandwich, piece of fruit, container of Mott's suger free apple sauce (my fave). Here is my typical schedule and I am trying to balance work and school and always being on the go.

730 Piece of fruit (usually a banana on my to work)
    1000 Breakfast (bowl of instant oatmeal just add hot water on a break at work)
    1230 Protein shake and lunch
    1500 Snack (peanut butter sandwich and applesauce)
    1730 Dinner (unsually on the go b/c of work and school, but I try to pick of something healthy)
    2000 Snack (some nuts or a protein bar)
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I agree that 1200 sounds low. Try setting your goals for a 1.5 or 1 lb loss instead of two. It will be easier to stick to it over the long term if you aren't starving.

The way I see it, at the beginning of this journey we need to start by making the changes we can. I am like you and find it more reasonable to eat 3 bigger meals instead of 6 small ones. I do snack though, especially between lunch and dinner. So do what you can and then further down the road, you can adjust when you have gotten the basics down.

Keep it up! Do the best you can and you will get there.

:flowerforyou:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fiber (over what they are telling you to get -- I usually get around 30-40g per day) and protein (fish, chicken). I guarantee those two alone will fill you up. I eat breakfast around 9am, lunch around noon, a snack at 3, and then dinner around 7pm after I'm done working out. For a snack, carrots also fill me up pretty quick. Good luck! You can do it!
  • speckle
    speckle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Definitely every 3. If you wait six hours and are really hungry, you're more likely to overeat.

If you pack yourself small preportioned snacks, then hopefully you will not overeat when eating every 3-4 hours either. there's all kinds of stuff you can pack and bring with you. i like fruit, instant oatmeal like someone suggested, crackers, veggies with hummus or dressings. do you like tea? i find that if i add a little milk to my tea, the creaminess is more filling and a little goes a long way.