ideas to improve my efforts please...

I am 30, 5'6", 175 lbs.
For 2 months I have been using my elliptical 4-5x weekly, for 45-60 minutes and watching my calories. MFP gives me 1440 cals on no-workout days, and 1973 on days I workout (based on 45 mins).
I have lost only 5 lbs:( I do see a change in my muscle tone and fit in my clothes, but I really want to lose the weight (I want to reach 150, and had been wanting to lose 5 lbs/month, but am really not losing any weight).
What should I do? eat less? workout more? add another form of exercise? get more protein? I am really stumped, and so discouraged:( Any suggestions appreciated...

Replies

• WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    To an extent, you have to bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. If you're gaining muscle and losing fat, then you're going to look better, feel better, and be healthier. But you might not lose a lot of weight right off.

Don't be a slave to the scale. It only means so much. The number on the scale isn't necessarily what's important. What is important is how much muscle you have and how much fat is around.

If you're noticing improvements, then that means you're doing well.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    A 5lb loss is good...But weight loss is not the most important..how you've toned, the way your clothes fit are more telling than the scales. And remember, the slower it comes off..the longer it stays off...

If you're wanting to lose more weight, you do need to cut back on the calories. I would personally, cut it to 1200 per day and eat back most of your exercise calories.

Also, if you're going at the same pace on the elliptical, you won't lose as quickly either. You need to shake it up a bit...go as fast as you can for a minute, then go at your regular pace for 2 mins...and keep doing that until you're finished with your workout. You might want to do another form of cardio...bike, treadmill, aerobics class or a Zumba class...Also add in some strength/toning as well....